Help me decide about long stay location

Terek

Dear Members,

I'm struggling to decide in which condo to stay, maybe more experienced expats could advice.

2 options, both  new projects: 1 at Rama 9 area near Central Plaza, this is where I stay now for short time, but have option to extend long time with good price, this is very convenient location, all shopping, eating and Gym here, not so crowded by pedestrians, but car traffic here is, a lot of new construction around, positive that its not crowded to get around, I like Central Plaza, and here is not so many Farangs :)) as I like more Thai environment ;

2nd is Asoke near Terminal 21 , more expensive but a lot more luxury, all entertainment close and I'm not sure is it good for long term living, apartment itself is more new and premium, but location and many tourists, crowded, I can get this condo below market price, but anyways its 10k more expensive than first one

I am trying to decide which is better for me, long term 1-2 years....

1 hour ago, Terek said:

I like Central Plaza, and here is not so many Farangs :)

Central Rama 9 is pretty much swarming with foreigners. But having said that...not a bad area to be. The Asoke area is not for long term living IMHO unless you want to live in a foreign enclave that tries to get rid of all Thai elements that make Bangkok unique.

yeah, I am back from a walk from both areas and already made a decision to stay here at Rama 9, what disturbs me about Asoke is tourists and all scam industry not just foreigners, I don't mind some quality long term expats, but short term drunks, backpackers and other indians

• Like 1

ha ha ha, but seems I will need to move to this Asoke condo anyway, as overnight owner of Rama 9 condo changed his mind and wants to sale it only,  this Asoke condo I get with big discount from market price, so deal is good and condo itself is near perfect, that's destiny, so advise me how to survive in Asoke now :)) 

8 minutes ago, snairc said:

I don't know what you have against all Indians.

It's you who lumped drunks, backpackers and Indians together.

My comment was sarcastic since you seem to equate them as being equivalent. If anyone has anything against "other Indians" it's you. Apparently you're OK with some foreigners as long as they're not drunks or Indians.

I take people one by one regardless of race or nationality. Maybe you ought to try that. 

1 hour ago, Terek said:

that's destiny, so advise [sic] me how to survive in Asoke now

Stay away from drunk, backpacking Indians since you feel they are beneath you.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Haha 1

I recommend you look around the Punnawithi BTS and Udom Suk BTS Stations.   Sukhumvit 101 to 103.

Very convenient to get into downtown (15 mins or less by BTS to Asoke), very easy to get Taxis home late at night, lots of things in the neighbourhood and better prices.

Maybe check out this Facebook group  https://www.facebook.com/101ians/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ballpoint said:

Stay away from the drunks, backpackers and other indians.

There is not much left after that. Just about every guy is a drinker, even if he never gets drunk, but the way I look at it, if he ever does get drunk, once a month, or even once a year, then he is a drunk. No excuse for it, you will get these guys anywhere and everywhere, Oh! and that applies to women too.

• Sad 1

You might be surprised how many hotels; condo buildings and malls are owned by Thais of Indian extraction and Indians who have permanent residence.  As far as tourists from the sub continent- walk through the Ambassador Hotel sometime- literally  hundreds checking in every day- they are well dressed and extremely polite.I was in the hotel last week and was amazed at the sheer numbers of foreigners coming and going.

Do check out the Soi 95- Soi 103  area -Banjak/Bangna area - plenty of quality Condo's- and a lesser amount of foreigners in those areas

thanks for suggestions, but I cannot resist the offer at Asoke,  I can get it about 30% cheaper of advertised price and market price, and its considered luxury project, so, as always I choose luxury vs being closer to people, although here in Thailand I like the most simple areas, markets, cats, dogs, all the simple life ... maybe some time later, at this moment I am a bit tired of moving and searching and just want to settle down a bit as deal is already ready to sign contract

I like the Asoke / Sukhumvit area and have lived there many years.  Inside of Sukhumvit Soi 17 or so (on both sides of Suk) you get a lot of low end tourists, but head the other way outside of Asoke and you get into an area with many more working expats (farang, Japanese & others), some nice restaurants and expat oriented pubs / sports bars, etc.  And easy to get just about anywhere via BTS, MRT and taxis.  Benjakitti and Benjarsir parks, numerous malls, grocery stores, etc.

• Like 1

Both are great locations.  Bangkok is a marvellous city imo.  The biggest factor is being protected from air pollution as much as possible.  Central Plaza is a good place to hang around in, as it has a deep basement floor, which means healthy ions.  Me? I'd go R9.

• Like 1

What is OP talking about Asoke is not an area for his racist comments.

Not many drunks or backpackers either mainly business people.

Head toward Nana for more Indians Soi 11 and lower Soi numbers.

PS:  Maybe you should know more about a place before you bad mouth it and now are planning to live there....

3 hours ago, MMan said:

I like the Asoke / Sukhumvit area and have lived there many years.  Inside of Sukhumvit Soi 17 or so (on both sides of Suk) you get a lot of low end tourists, but head the other way outside of Asoke and you get into an area with many more working expats (farang, Japanese & others), some nice restaurants and expat oriented pubs / sports bars, etc.  And easy to get just about anywhere via BTS, MRT and taxis.  Benjakitti and Benjarsir parks, numerous malls, grocery stores, etc.

Uhh, OK have you actually been there?

Lets see off 17 is the Westin and across the street on Sukhumvit is the Sheraton Grande.

Two of the nicer more expensive high end hotels in the city not even close to "low end tourists".

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Uhh, OK have you actually been there?

Lets see off 17 is the Westin and across the street on Sukhumvit is the Sheraton Grande.

Two of the nicer more expensive high end hotels in the city not even close to "low end tourists".

Been to both hotels when I was burning my SPG points. Rather disappointing experience. Dumped my SPG gold for Hilton platinum and have been enjoying great views and nice rooms for 30% less.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2018 at 10:10 PM, Terek said:

I am here at Asoke, all good, I like it here :)

From a farang perspective, there's little not to like:

--sitting right at the intersection of the BTS and MRT lines for easy transport, so many folks don't even need a car or motorcycle.

--walking distance to two Foodland, two Villa and at least two Tops supermarkets.

--5 mins from many of the largest and top malls in BKK  -- Paragon, CentralWorld, Gaysorn, Central Chidlom and Embassy, Terminal 21, Emporium, EmQuartier, etc.

--as noted, two of the biggest and nicest parks in BKK, Benjasiri and Benjakitti.

--the night venues of Nana and Cowboy for those so inclined.

--most of the best restaurants in the city relatively nearby.

--the various food delivery services all deliver to the Asoke area

and on and on and on...

But yes, as a resident, you do have to put up with the comings and goings of throngs of holidaying Chinese, Koreans, Indians, Arabs, Brits, Germans, etc etc... But you live there, and they're just coming and going.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

From a farang perspective, there's little not to like:

--sitting right at the intersection of the BTS and MRT lines for easy transport, so many folks don't even need a car or motorcycle.
--walking distance to two Foodland, two Villa and at least two Tops supermarkets.
--5 mins from many of the largest and top malls in BKK  -- Paragon, CentralWorld, Gaysorn, Central Chidlom and Embassy, Terminal 21, Emporium, EmQuartier, etc.
--as noted, two of the biggest and nicest parks in BKK, Benjasiri and Benjakitti.
--the night venues of Nana and Cowboy for those so inclined.
--most of the best restaurants in the city relatively nearby.
--the various food delivery services all deliver to the Asoke area
and on and on and on...

But yes, as a resident, you do have to put up with the comings and goings of throngs of holidaying Chinese, Koreans, Indians, Arabs, Brits, Germans, etc etc... But you live there, and they're just coming and going.

Nice summary. Bought here 10 years ago because it was cheap and a short stroll to the bts but turns out I hardly use the bts as everything I could ever need or want is walkable.