Cheap Charlie Chinese tourists causing "significant" damage to marine life on Koh Lipe, says expert

Cheap Charlie Chinese tourists causing "significant" damage to marine life on Koh Lipe, says expert

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTA3My81MzY4NTQzL25ld3MwNS5qcGc=.jpg

Image: Sanook

A Thai guardian of the coral reef has blamed irresponsible Chinese tourists for damaging the marine ecosystem on the paradise southern Thai island of Koh Lipe.

Nanthaphon Denben of the Reef Guardian group said:

"Over the last two or three years the Chinese have brought jobs and income to the island. But they have also brought bad behavior. They are responsible for significant damage to the marine life in the Tarutao national park".

Among the things that have happened are tourists grabbing sea urchins, chasing protecting fish trying to stab them and taking sea vegetation. They have even taken starfish to decorate their bedsteads back at their bungalows and hotels.

Also they use rowing boats at low tide with the oars snapping beautiful coral. They also step on the coral, he said. 

"Many of these tourists have no guides to warn them about their behavior," said Nanthaphon. "They want to do tours as cheaply as possible on their own but are ignorant about environmental protection".

He said many don't or cant understand the English signage in the area of the park. 

Source: https://news.sanook.com/5368543/

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-02-17

Last time I was on Koh Lipe was in 2014. Before 2014 it was such a beautiful island. I saw garbage everywhere in 2014, deciding it would be the last time on Koh Lipe as it was almost completely trashed already. It must be way worse right now with all the Chinese....

18 hours ago, sfokevin said:

This is a typical site while walking the streets on Koh Lipe... 

Sets a great example for visitors... :coffee1:

FABFFDC8-169A-4C6D-AF6A-1C27FF6133D8.jpeg

Sadly not just Koh Lipe but the entirety of Thailand. No respect for their environment. Don't need it - just toss it to the ground!

18 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well get some Chinese signage although I doubt it will deter!

That's a joke. My complex is swarming with Chinese. There are signs everywhere DO NOT SHOUT IN THE CORRIDORS, DO NOT WASH YOUR DIRTY FEET IN THE SWIMMING POOL, DO NOT SPIT OR URINATE IN THE SWIMMING POOL The signs are completely ignored. Dirty B*******ds

Den

34 minutes ago, denby45 said:

That's a joke. My complex is swarming with Chinese. There are signs everywhere DO NOT SHOUT IN THE CORRIDORS, DO NOT WASH YOUR DIRTY FEET IN THE SWIMMING POOL, DO NOT SPIT OR URINATE IN THE SWIMMING POOL The signs are completely ignored. Dirty B*******ds

Den

My sympathies, that sounds unpleasant.

23 hours ago, Topdoc said:

Why are they not arrested and thrown in jail like the two Russian women?

The Chinese are known every where as DIRTY, DESTRUCTFULL no patience, Why there is nothing done is those who are suppose to police the environment are collecting their wages and doing nothing, because it is work. 

Just now, johnarth said:

the problem here is you looking, poor people, that is not rubbish it all spread out so they can find exactly what they want when they want it, also makes it easier to see the snakes and scorpions, like if it was stacked up no good, they don't care about the tourist dollar from whatever country, they live between each over, feed each over, share whatever to do what they want to do. good idea if not want to see their mess don't go there. but find big time any tourist that spreads their rubbish (something they do not want) 

14 minutes ago, garyk said:

I was in Southern Thailand last year when the Chinese tourists arrived by the thousands. Wow

Never again!

I feel for you.  Tourist attractions all over the world is now swamped by the sheer number of Chinese tourists.

Strange country, hordes of Chinese who pump in money not because they spend a lot, but because they are many, many who spend very little...are encouraged......

....on the other hand the quality expats, who spend, purchase/rent property are hassled with visa issues, paperwork and formalities....strange country really !!

The result will lead to the quality expats, no matter of which nationality, to seek elsewhere in Indonesia, Laos, Viet Nam etc. etc....

Archived