Does a non imm B (for work) have to be cancelled?

I am currently working for a Thai company but I have resigned, so I understand that normally the work permit and visa will be cancelled, and one is given 7 days to leave the country. However, since I have a legitimate (born during marriage) child who is Thai, is there any option for me to use the existing non immigrant visa under that reason, or must I let them cancel it, and then re-apply for a non-imm O outside the country?

Thanks in advance for your help!

p.s. British, under 45

Edited by OxfordWill

There is not an automatic 7 days to leave the country. You need to apply for it.

If you have an extension of stay based on your wp/job then it will end on the day your employment ends. It should be possible for you to change the reason for for your stay to being the parent as long as you have at least 400K in the bank on the day you apply, or a foreign income of at least 40K pm. You'll also need a letter form your employer confirming the last day of your employment. Your office might insist you go out for a new non 'O' but they can issue an extension based on the original non-immigrant visa even if was category 'B'.

If you have a 90 day permit to stay from your last entry using the visa then you can stay for the remainder of the 90 days. Before the end of the 90 days you could apply for a 1 year extension based on being a parent.

Edited by elviajero

A non-b visa would not be canceled but an extension of stay based upon working issued by immigration would need to be canceled.

You could change the reason for your extension from working to one based upon marriage to a Thai or being the parent of a Thai. You would need a termination letter to cancel your current extension so you could apply for then new one on or before the date on the letter.

You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank (for 2 months if based upon marriage) in your name only or proof of 40k baht income.

33 minutes ago, OxfordWill said:

Thanks. To be clear, right now it is a non-imm B, not O. Can I still change the reason from work to supporting child?

Right now, the extension is a 2 year one, multi reentry.

You can’t get a 2 year extension of stay.

You used the non ‘B’ to enter the country and received a 90 day permit to stay. If you have since extended that initial 90 days by 1 year you should be able to change the reason from work to being a parent.

1 hour ago, OxfordWill said:

Thanks. To be clear, right now it is a non-imm B, not O. Can I still change the reason from work to supporting child?

Right now, the extension is a 2 year one, multi reentry.

In all honesty you have to explain fully what visa you started on and what happened after the first 90 days. 

Did you have to leave Thailand and return same or next day and get another 90 days entry stamped when you returned.

Did your company and you have to deal with your 'visa' and work permit inside Thailand.

Do you or does your company do 90 day reports to Imm' in Thailand ie without you leaving and returning every 90 days.

Does your company work under BOI rules.

May seem to be unimportant questions but without the above answered it makes it difficult for the guys who really know to answer you.

Edited by overherebc

Sorry. 

I was on non imm-O for marriage which I got from Laos, then I returned to Thailand and got a new job. After being hired, I didnt have to leave Thailand, I got put on a non-imm B at chaengwhattana which was under that first company.

This was not under BOI.

Then I got transferred to new company, which was under BOI. They cancelled my old extension and got a new 2 year extension under the "expert" visa programme. They also gave me a new work permit at this time. I never had to leave Thailand.

The 90 day reporting was handled for me by the co.

Edited by OxfordWill

38 minutes ago, OxfordWill said:

Sorry. 

I was on non imm-O for marriage which I got from Laos, then I returned to Thailand and got a new job. After being hired, I didnt have to leave Thailand, I got put on a non-imm B at chaengwhattana which was under that first company.

This was not under BOI.

Then I got transferred to new company, which was under BOI. They cancelled my old extension and got a new 2 year extension under the "expert" visa programme. They also gave me a new work permit at this time. I never had to leave Thailand.

I am not sure about the BOI situation. 

I will leave this to Ubon Joe who will give you the right answer.

I resigned from the only BOI job I had and the next day flew to Penang and got a one year multi O. At that time the money to show in the bank was only 100,000 baht. Now is 400,000 baht. Anyway, when I landed at Swampy and handed over my passport the IO said 'you have two visas valid, which one do you want to use?'

I decided on the new multi O and have worked and lived on them for years. Means leaving and returning every 90 days but my wife and myself always enjoy the weekends away.

Hope you get things sorted ok.

Edit.

One of the things I like about the multi O is I always worked contract and when each contract finished no-one could cancel my 'visa.' It always stayed with me and now each one I can make last almost 17 months.

Edited by overherebc

5 hours ago, OxfordWill said:

Sorry. 

This was not under BOI.

It might help if you upload a copy of your visa and extension of stay permit.

As far as I am aware you cannot get a 2 year extension of stay (I'm happy to be proven wrong). A two year work permit is possible. I doubt they gave you a new non 'B' visa because a non 'O' visa holder that is married can apply for a work permit without needing to get a new 'B' cat visa.

Whether or not you have a 'O' or 'B' visa you should be able to change the reason for you stay when you leave your job.

11 hours ago, OxfordWill said:

This was not under BOI.

They did not change your visa to a non-b visa. You simply applied for obtained an extension of stay based upon working.

As I wrote earlier you can change your extension to one based upon marriage. You will have to cancel your current extension at the one stop center (BOI company) and then apply for the extension based upon marriage at Chaeng Wattana.

They gave me the option to remain on the non imm O but also the option to change (without leaving Thailand) to the non imm B. As the attached scan shows, I chose to change to non imm B. The reason was, it would allow me to use the 2 and 4 year (four year) extension which is possible under the BOI soon, whereas I was advised the 2 and 4 year extensions would not be possible under non imm O. 

I can see now that they actually stamped my passport out and in the country, which is probably how they changed it to non imm B.

image.png.9be16f5db7e0cfb375a67c17c8c7fba8.png

Edited by ubonjoe
edit image

14 minutes ago, OxfordWill said:

I didnt mean that one, was the image you cropped also sensitive? That shows the 2 year. I deleted the first file as I forgot to remove the visa number in both places. Thanks!

I still had it open in paint so copied and pasted it back in.

5 hours ago, OxfordWill said:

They gave me the option to remain on the non imm O but also the option to change (without leaving Thailand) to the non imm B. As the attached scan shows, I chose to change to non imm B. The reason was, it would allow me to use the 2 and 4 year (four year) extension which is possible under the BOI soon, whereas I was advised the 2 and 4 year extensions would not be possible under non imm O. 

I can see now that they actually stamped my passport out and in the country, which is probably how they changed it to non imm B.

I can't read the Thai text due to the picture quality, but it seems you were given an extension based on 'investment' rather than wp/job, which is why they could give you 2 years. I doubt changing you to a non 'B' was necessary, but the One Stop like to make things more complicated than needs be.

Given all that, the answer to your original question remains that you should be able to switch without leaving the country, however, you're not going to get a definitive answer here as it will be up to the office you apply at. As the non 'B' was issued for a specific purpose I wouldn't be surprised if they make you get a new non 'O'.

To qualify for an extension as a parent you need to enter with a non-immigrant visa (cat unspecified), which you did with the non 'B'. So as long as the immigration office want to play ball there is no reason why, once you've cancelled the existing extension, they can't and issue a new one based on your last non-immigrant entry. Worst case they will give you 7 days to leave (should be free of charge as it's BOI) and you'll need to get a new non 'O' visa. That is easily obtained locally to Thailand with your child's birth certificate.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys, sorry for hassles with images. 

So, in the end they cancelled my non imm b saying it was "tied to the company", so I now have til 12 March to go and get a non imm O. I will begin searching but if youre reading this and know, please let me know where locally I can get non imm O as parent with my childs birth cert, as its been a while since I had to.

Thanks again for your help!

22 minutes ago, OxfordWill said:

Thank you guys, sorry for hassles with images. 

So, in the end they cancelled my non imm b saying it was "tied to the company", so I now have til 12 March to go and get a non imm O. I will begin searching but if youre reading this and know, please let me know where locally I can get non imm O as parent with my childs birth cert, as its been a while since I had to.

Thanks again for your help!

You can get a single entry non-o in Vientiane or Savannakhet.

Or in Penang with financial proof. Penang will also do a multiple entry non-o visa if you can show 400k baht or proof of 40k baht income.

• Thanks 1