Honda HRV

To clarify. I find it VERY comfortable to sit in the Fortuner and drive. The HRV though isn't comfortable,  as my left leg about half way up bangs on the side all the time against the gear console - on a long drive (which I haven't done yet) I think I will find it very irritating and uncomfortable. Also found it a bit uncomfortable in the passenger seat being tall.
Friends tell me that the Fortuner is a great car, but it's around 400,000b more than the HRV. That's a lot more.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Tracyb said:

Have you seen the BRV?  A bit smaller and a lot less expensive!

We  just took delivery of a 7 seater B-RV last Thursday and it has already done a weekend trip away with 7 people. We are very happy with it so far and it has lots of nifty features.

• Thanks 1

I test drove an HRV and it would not pull the skin off a rice pudding so I went to drive a CX5 but whilst there saw a sporty looking red CX3 so also drove that. Best car, goes like a rocket and cheaper. If you don't need the space save your money.

We also went to every dealer including Merc and BMW where you are paying 50% more for a badge. But it is whatever floats your boat, just view and drive all you can.

TGF first wanted a Honda Jazz. I looked into it and liked the easy and roomy load possibilities.

Fortunately TGF finaly decided our first car would be an H-RV. 

We love it. Just the size we need.

If I were to  return to live in Belgium that would the car I'd immediately buy.

On 19/02/2018 at 2:13 AM, Mises said:

I test drove an HRV and it would not pull the skin off a rice pudding so I went to drive a CX5 but whilst there saw a sporty looking red CX3 so also drove that. Best car, goes like a rocket and cheaper. If you don't need the space save your money.

We also went to every dealer including Merc and BMW where you are paying 50% more for a badge. But it is whatever floats your boat, just view and drive all you can.

I don't drive that fast but found nothing wrong with the acceleration if you put your foot down.

Sure it's no sports car but it ain't a slug either.  When the missus first picked up the car from Korat (They were difficult to find when they first came out) we drove it back to Chiang Mai.

On the way we got stopped by speed camera cop.  The missus was doing 140.  It was more of a shock to me than her cause it didn't feel that fast.

Lesson learnt.  Now I ocassionally lean across and check the speedo if she is driving. Damn speed freak!

Still like the car. Loads of room and love the Bluetooth connection with cellphone.  Pity it doesn't have navsat as standard....maybe later models do.

Very economical and so easy to drive. Those magic rear seats (like in the jazz) are a great invention. As so much extra load space when needed.

Looked at Ford Ecosport, it felt like sitting on a plank.  

I'd happily buy another HRV if I needed a new car.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

I don't drive that fast but found nothing wrong with the acceleration if you put your foot down.

Sure it's no sports car but it ain't a slug either.  When the missus first picked up the car from Korat (They were difficult to find when they first came out) we drove it back to Chiang Mai.

On the way we got stopped by speed camera cop.  The missus was doing 140.  It was more of a shock to me than her cause it didn't feel that fast.

Lesson learnt.  Now I ocassionally lean across and check the speedo if she is driving. Damn speed freak!

Still like the car. Loads of room and love the Bluetooth connection with cellphone.  Pity it doesn't have navsat as standard....maybe later models do.

Very economical and so easy to drive. Those magic rear seats (like in the jazz) are a great invention. As so much extra load space when needed.

Looked at Ford Ecosport, it felt like sitting on a plank.  

I'd happily buy another HRV if I needed a new car.

I agree.  It's got plenty of acceleration.  We looked at the Ford, too, and it just seemed to narrow and cramped inside compared to the HRV.

i had one for 2 years. Traveled from one end  to the other of the country with it.. 

Comfortable, economical and very very spacious.  Go test drive it, you'll like it more than the competition at this price.

If you don't need space, the smaller cx3 might be more fun to drive though 

an other pro for the honda is that its way more luxurious.

The Honda HR-V is a good car. You see a lot of them on the streets, which is a good sign.

The Mazda CX-3 is more fun too drive, but has less space. But for 2 people it is fine. I owned one until I changed to the CX-5 because of the growing family.

What don't you check out the Mazda CX5 to compare. It is manufactured in Japan and it is a well-put-together car. With Mazda, always get the petrol/gasoline version - there have been reports of problems with the high-pressure systems on the diezel.

I have one in a neighbouring country for over a year. Not a single issue. Where I live the roads are sometimes really bad and dusty but the CX5 handles everything well. Even the bodywork is fairly robust - had a few people scrape it in parking lots or once a motorbike hit it while it was parked on the side of the road. I have not repaired them but the scrapes still have not rusted.

The Mazda CX-5 is assembled in Malaysia. We own them since the first model come out and and never had problems. Some of the first Diesel models had problems. We have changed now to the latest version.

We own the AWD Diesel. It is a very powerful car, but expensive.

Have you seen the BRV?  A bit smaller and a lot less expensive!

Correct, but also lacks a lot of safety features and has only a small engine. I would look at the MG ZS, instead. But I don’t know how reliable the MGs are.

But the ZS looks good and has a lot of features.

• 2 months later...

The new Honda HRV facelift is coming to Thailand June 2018 so it is said by a reliable source. I am torn between buying last years HRV E Limited at a discount when the new model hits or buying the AWD Subaru XV iP also at a discount or wait for the new HRV. There are some good deals to be had on the older model HRV but I expect better deals as soon as the facelift comes out. Looked at Mazda CX3 and there is very little room in the front. The offing by Toyota in the form of the CHR is very youthful and nice but a bit unnecessarily bulky without the space being transformed to the inside. I was impressed by the offing of the MG which is feature loaded and relatively cheap but the quality is not there and Chinese, Nuf said. Any ideas on the timing of the HRV facelift anyone?

7 hours ago, Sumarianson said:

The new Honda HRV facelift is coming to Thailand June 2018 so it is said by a reliable source. I am torn between buying last years HRV E Limited at a discount when the new model hits or buying the AWD Subaru XV iP also at a discount or wait for the new HRV. There are some good deals to be had on the older model HRV but I expect better deals as soon as the facelift comes out. Looked at Mazda CX3 and there is very little room in the front. The offing by Toyota in the form of the CHR is very youthful and nice but a bit unnecessarily bulky without the space being transformed to the inside. I was impressed by the offing of the MG which is feature loaded and relatively cheap but the quality is not there and Chinese, Nuf said. Any ideas on the timing of the HRV facelift anyone?

We are waiting for the HRV facelift as well.  So far can only get 'soon' as an answer from the Honda dealers we have checked with.

On 18/02/2018 at 5:46 PM, jakestevernson said:

Friends tell me that the Fortuner is a great car, but it's around 400,000b more than the HRV. That's a lot more.

Isn't a Fortuner vs HRV an apple and orange comparison pricewise and on other aspects. A Fortuner vs CRV is a more like for like comparison and then the difference in cost may even favour the Fortuner (I don't have current costs to hand).

Now had the HRV for a couple of months, quite like it (wife's car) but I hate the ride the thin tyres give compared to my Fortuner's ride.

Thanks Bredbury Blue,

I am pretty set on getting the HRV when I move in August, the reviews on this thread seem pretty positive about this car.

The Fortuner or CRV are fair amount more and at present I can't just the extra expensive.

JS

2 hours ago, jakestevernson said:

Thanks Bredbury Blue,

I am pretty set on getting the HRV when I move in August, the reviews on this thread seem pretty positive about this car.

The Fortuner or CRV are fair amount more and at present I can't just the extra expensive.

JS

I think you will be quite happy with the HRV.  We love ours--plenty of power when we need it on the highway, good ride height and not a chore climbing in and out, great size--not too big or too small--and large items we buy, even long ones, fit in easily with the versatile seats.  We likely will be a repeat buyer when the refreshed model comes out.

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

Might be worth looking at the new Toyota C-HR. THB980K to 1.16M...

The styling was a bit too out there for my partner and me--although some will love it.  Liked the front styling but the back seems to have too much going on. The rear seating seemed very claustrophobic with tiny side windows and felt suited more for children with the slanted roofline.  Didn't seem to be enough space in the back for the large stuff we often haul.  Wish Toyota would sell the RAV 4 here--they lack a smaller SUV for those of us who feel the Fortuner is just too big.

• Like 2

The styling was a bit too out there for my partner and me--although some will love it.  Liked the front styling but the back seems to have too much going on. The rear seating seemed very claustrophobic with tiny side windows and felt suited more for children with the slanted roofline.  Didn't seem to be enough space in the back for the large stuff we often haul.  Wish Toyota would sell the RAV 4 here--they lack a smaller SUV for those of us who feel the Fortuner is just too big.

I don’t like the looks either, but clearly some people do.

The Fortuner is not that big, about the same size as a Forerunner. My wife has one and loves it. I think it just seems big because there are so many small cars over here. It does not seem big when you drive it.

I say buy what you like. I used to say I’d rather push a car I like than drive one I didn’t, but I’m getting too old to push...
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Might be worth looking at the new Toyota C-HR. THB980K to 1.16M...

I had one as a rental for 3 weeks last June in the uk.
Nice enough car, I kinda liked the styling and found it responsive enough.

A couple of drawbacks were:
My 4 year old granddaughter in her car seat in the back couldn’t see out of the window as it is high.
She insisted on putting the window down ( cos she couldn’t see out [emoji23] ) and the wind noise was incredible, really loud , at low speed as well, she was convinced there was a helicopter overhead, of course this maybe could be fixed with those wind/rain deflectors I suppose. ( not that I drive with the windows open in LOS )

A test drive is essential for a newly released car like this.

7 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I had one as a rental for 3 weeks last June in the uk.
Nice enough car, I kinda liked the styling and found it responsive enough.

A couple of drawbacks were:
My 4 year old granddaughter in her car seat in the back couldn’t see out of the window as it is high.
She insisted on putting the window down ( cos she couldn’t see out emoji23.png ) and the wind noise was incredible, really loud , at low speed as well, she was convinced there was a helicopter overhead, of course this maybe could be fixed with those wind/rain deflectors I suppose. ( not that I drive with the windows open in LOS )

A test drive is essential for a newly released car like this.

We noticed this problem with the back seat windows, as well. Very hard to see out. 

34 minutes ago, newnative said:

We noticed this problem with the back seat windows, as well. Very hard to see out. 

Yes the window in the backseats are really small and also the view for parking backwards is horrible. But I still like the style. It's something new.

About the backseats as we are only 2 person and mostly will be only 2 persons this small windows on the back not that important to us. The bad view for this there is the back-camera and I even think for the 360 degree camera for about 28'000 extra.

What I like, it is the car has a quite good hybrid system, which is really nice to drive in Bangkok and if you drive longer distance it still feels nice. I am not into speeding or something therefore I not care the missing horsepower which some people claim. For me the usage of gasoline is more important.

• Like 1

Although a lot of these new SUVs are starting to look the same the Toyota C-HR is very unique.

Initially I liked the design style but after a few more views from different angles my mind is changed.  It really is quite ugly in the rear.

I had the same thoughts with the Nissan Juke, and that's been around awhile in Europe but newish to Thailand. Initially I loved the Rally style look it has. Lately I'm not fussed with it.

However styling is only but one part of driving pleasure...I'm sure even super cars like Lamborghini and Ferrari may look great but some are absolutely a pain to ride in.  But I wouldn't complain if I won one.

As previous people have said, sit in vehicles you like. If possible take one for a test drive. If not possible hire a rental.  That way you will get a better idea of what suits you (Albeit for a short time)

Good luck

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On Monday, May 07, 2018 at 11:38 PM, Sumarianson said:

Will the engine be the same?

2019-honda-hr-v-exterior-high-resolution-image.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Honda HRV 2016- - no Navi or GPS

I find it very strange that this model has no Navi on it

When I check about phone link or mirror link it does this via blue tooth but only for calls and things

It seems to be set up for the Iphone as it has Siri on the steering wheel

Question after I have search the internet - is there a way to link Google Maps to the screen in the car?

OR

is it better to change the head unit over ??

thanks

5 hours ago, BlackJack said:

Honda HRV 2016- - no Navi or GPS

I find it very strange that this model has no Navi on it

When I check about phone link or mirror link it does this via blue tooth but only for calls and things

It seems to be set up for the Iphone as it has Siri on the steering wheel

Question after I have search the internet - is there a way to link Google Maps to the screen in the car?

OR

is it better to change the head unit over ??

thanks

most shops will take care of it for you if you're using android.