What to put for length of stay on new TM6 arrival form

I will be traveling to Thailand in a couple of weeks for purpose of retirement. I received my 90 day non O visa from the Thai consulate in the USA and when I arrive in Thailand will start the process for extending it for purpose of retirement. I see that there is a line where is says length of stay. Should I put 90 days or 1 year. I appreciate all the help I have been given here.

3 hours ago, johndudorn said:

After you get retirement Visa than put 1 year, upon arrival/return.

He intends to get an extension of stay based on retirement, not a retirement visa.

If/when he wants to travel outside Thailand while here (on either the permission to stay he got when he entered on the non-imm O visa or the extension of stay based on retirement) he will need a re-entry permit.  When he re-enters Thailand he will be using the re-entry permit because he will no longer have a valid visa of any kind, but he would still have a valid permission or extension of his permission to stay in Thailand.

At that point, if he wants to be scrupulously accurate. his length of stay would depend on his time remaining on the current extension. He would also use the re-entry permit number on the arrival card where it asks for visa number.

Edited by Suradit69

5 hours ago, johndudorn said:

After you get retirement Visa than put 1 year, upon arrival/return.

2 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

He intends to get an extension of stay based on retirement, not a retirement visa.

If/when he wants to travel outside Thailand while here (on either the permission to stay he got when he entered on the non-imm O visa or the extension of stay based on retirement) he will need a re-entry permit.  When he re-enters Thailand he will be using the re-entry permit because he will no longer have a valid visa of any kind, but he would still have a valid permission or extension of his permission to stay in Thailand.

At that point, if he wants to be scrupulously accurate. his length of stay would depend on his time remaining on the current extension. He would also use the re-entry permit number on the arrival card where it asks for visa number.

So, for those of us on a one-year extension, we put a time period corresponding to the end of our extension?  i.e. If we return five months before our extension returns, should we write "five months" on the form?

42 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

So, for those of us on a one-year extension, we put a time period corresponding to the end of our extension?  i.e. If we return five months before our extension returns, should we write "five months" on the form?

Yes. You put (up to) the maximum stay allowed for the visa or permit being used to enter the country.

2 hours ago, wpcoe said:

I don't think the immigration officer would really care what you write, but if you have 5 months remaining on your current extension, that would be the maximum you could plan on until you renew your extension.

But I seriously doubt it matters what you write within reason. It's probably more for collecting data on tourists for TAT than anything that would ever be of interest to immigrations since your stay in Thailand depends on the extension you have and your compliance with those requirements, not something you write on the arrival card. 

2 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Quite. I bet if you put 95 years they wouldn't notice.

But they might ask you how much you had to drink on the flight.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

Why don't you get the retirement visa in the US before you arrive?

Many choose not to for several reasons.  1:  You don't need to get the medical thing.  2:  You don't need to   get the police report thing.  Sometimes these can be a bit problematic for some people depending on many things, time, location, etc.