Non O visa - marriage - funds

hi everyone. 

if this is correct. 

Marriage:

Financial requirement is 400,000 baht deposited in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the date of application, OR

proof of income of 40,000 baht per month.

how would I get a Thai bank account to deposit into (2 months prior to application) If I am not already a resident?  

thanks

Most embassies and consulates do not ask for financial proof to get a non-o visa based upon marriage. Most of the few that do ask for it will accept it being in any bank account and do not expect it to be there for 2 months.

The 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months is only requied to apply for a one year extension of stay at immigration here.

thanks for the reply ubonjoe

even if I get a 2 month visa in Melbourne, I would need to get the 400k into a bank account on day one of arriving to satisfy the 2 month rule. or is there some short based extension that would give me 3 or 4 months before applying for the 1 year extension of stay?

13 minutes ago, flipper2222222 said:

even if I get a 2 month visa in Melbourne, I would need to get the 400k into a bank account on day one of arriving to satisfy the 2 month rule. or is there some short based extension that would give me 3 or 4 months before applying for the 1 year extension of stay?

As said you should get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage instead of a tourist visa so that you can apply for the extension near the end of the 90 day entry from it.

You cannot apply for a the extension with a 60 day tourist visa entry. You would have to do a change of visa status to get 90 day non-o visa entry at immigration.

2 hours ago, flipper2222222 said:

thanks for the answers guys, any other "gotyas" in taking the Suvannakhet path?

Original marriage cert + signed copies of marriage cert, your passport, her ID card, her House book

5,000bht and a couple of passport photos ........ job done.

All very easy.

Don't forger you need to do a border hop every 90 days, but the VISA can last for 15 months, if you do one last border jump at the end of the year.

3 hours ago, flipper2222222 said:

thanks for the answers guys, any other "gotyas" in taking the Suvannakhet path?

The Savannakket option is, in the main used by those who, for a variety of reasons, cannot not, or prefer not to show evidence of capital or income.

There are two downsides to this option. Firstly expense. The visa will cost you 5,000 THB plus 1,500 THB for the Laos visa, plus travel and accommodation expenses. And then factor in the fact that you have to leave the country every 90 days. Even just going to Laos will cost you 1,500 THB a hop, plus travel expenses.

A locally obtained 1 year extension will only cost you 1,900 THB and no border runs required.

The second disadvantage is that you will very quickly fill your passport with stamps. More expense and inconvenience

I came here nearly 4 years ago on a 90 day non-o visa, opened a bank account with Krungsri within 2 weeks and encountered no problems obtaining my extension at my local IMM Pol office.

Up to you. Your choice and good luck.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

The Savannakket option is, in the main used by those who, for a variety of reasons, cannot not, or prefer not to show evidence of capital or income.

There are two downsides to this option. Firstly expense. The visa will cost you 5,000 THB plus 1,500 THB for the Laos visa, plus travel and accommodation expenses. And then factor in the fact that you have to leave country every 90 days. Even just going to Laos will cost you 1,500 THB a hop, plus travel expenses.

To compare like with like you would need to add a Multi-re-entry cost to your VISA extension (3,500bht?). Even then your extension lasts 1 year VS my VISA lasting 15 months.

Laos VISA is $35, border hops to Burma are $10. Assuming you don't have frequent foreign holidays.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

[quote post="12729849" timestamp="1519112392" name="Moonlover"

. And then factor in the fact that you have to leave the country every 90 days. Even just going to Laos will cost you 1,500 THB a hop, plus travel expenses.

Im sure you can get a 60day extension which technically means u get 5months in thailand before having to do a border hop.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

To compare like with like you would need to add a Multi-re-entry cost to your VISA extension (3,500bht?). Even then your extension lasts 1 year VS my VISA lasting 15 months.

Laos VISA is $35, border hops to Burma are $10. Assuming you don't have frequent foreign holidays.

There is no like with like.

With the Non Imm O Visa you are forced to do border hops and endure the extra expenses.

With the extension a re-entry permit is optional by choice.

I'm not forced to pay for something if I'm not going to need it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

A valid point if one intends to travel outside the country during the year. That would be 1,000 THB per re-entry. Thanks for pointing that out.