Non O A expiration

I thought I knew what I was doing, until today.

I have a Non O A Multi Entry Visa I got in my home county last Feb. The expiration stamped in the my passport is Feb. 23.

So off the immigration to extend...all the paperwork in hand.

When my number was called, in I go. I laid out everything, all confident I had checked all the boxes.

The Immigration officer opened my passport and looked at me funny. Asked "what are you here for?"

"Well, my visa expires soon, I need to extend."

I had left the country in August and returned on the 5th. At immigration, they stamped my passport...Admitted until Aug. 5th, 2018.

Well I assumed that was a mistake because I have a ""One Year Visa"" Feb 23 2017 to Feb, 23, 2018.

Well,,,I was told..because I left and came back...my one year was extending until Aug, 5th this year.  What the heck!!!

I asked two different officials and both said the same thing....come back no later than 45 days before Aug. 5th.

So.....if I leave the country and come back before Aug, 5th....say Aug. 4th. will I get another stamp good until Aug, 4th 2019???? Multi Entry and all??

If I can do that...then I won't have to go to CW and extend, or apply for a multi entry stamp.....

I really need to know ....I would hate to make a mistake and lose my current Visa.........darned expensive to have that happed!!!

Immigration gave you correct info.

Your visa is valid for entry until February 23rd which I assume is the enter before date on your visa. If you do an entry on or before the enter before date on your visa you will get another one year entry.

You could do a border hop and get a new one year entry if you did in the next few days.

After the 23rd or is it the 22nd you will need a re-entry permit it you want to travel.

When you leave Thailand AFTER the exp.date of 23rd febr 2018, you need to buy a RE ENTRY PERMIT otherwise when you exit you kill this Non Immigrant O-A that you have....

Buy that RE ENTRY PERMIT before you exit, and you will be just fine until august sometime 2019.....

Good luck...

glegolo

Edited by glegolo

7 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Buy that RE ENTRY PERMIT before you exit, and you will be just fine until august sometime 2019.....

How would he get an entry to August of 2019 if his visa is expiring in on the 22nd or 23rd. He would have to apply for an extension in August of this year to get that permit to stay.

32 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

So.....if I leave the country and come back before Aug, 5th....say Aug. 4th. will I get another stamp good until Aug, 4th 2019???? Multi Entry and all??

As Ubonjoe has already pointed out, the answer to this is no.

If you want to maximise your current visa, then you would have to depart and enter Thailand on or before 23rd February 2018, so within the next 4 days.

If you cannot or do not want to do this and do intend on leaving Thailand between 24th February and 5th August 2018 and prior to completing the extension of stay, then it is extremely important that you remember to obtain a re-entry permit BEFORE you depart the country, either at one of the Bangkok airports or at your local immigration office, failure to do this will mean that you would be stamped in for thirty days only using a visa exempt entry (assuming you are from a country that qualifies).

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

How would he get an entry to August of 2019 if his visa is expiring in on the 22nd or 23rd. He would have to apply for an extension in August of this year to get that permit to stay.

Yes you are correct Joe..  should be february of course...

glegolo

Edited by glegolo

Just now, glegolo said:

If he leaves Thailand during august 2018, before his O-A VISA expires,

44 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

I have a Non O A Multi Entry Visa I got in my home county last Feb. The expiration stamped in the my passport is Feb. 23.

48 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

So off the immigration to extend...all the paperwork in hand.

You cannot extend a Visa John, you can only extend the permission to stay from a Visa.

A Non Imm O-A Visa allows multiple 1 year entries until the 'enter before' date'

If you exit and re-enter the day before the 'enter before' date, you will be given permission to stay for another year.

Your confusing the validity of your Visa, with the validity of your permission to stay.

58 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

if I leave the country and come back before Aug, 5th....say Aug. 4th. will I get another stamp good until Aug, 4th 2019???? Multi Entry and all??

If you leave before Feb 23rd you will get another 1 year permission to stay.

After 23rd Feb your Visa expires and so does the multi entry facility.

Edited by Tanoshi

My passport is stamped. "Admitted until Aug. 5th, 2018."

I have been doing 90 day reports on time.

My next report is due is 60 days.

I do not have to do anything other than than the reports.

I have a multiple entry visa. That is the only re-entry permit I need.

If I leave Thailand for any time, and return on or before Aug. 5th, 2018...My passport will be stamped for an additional year from the date of entry. And Multiple Entry will still be included.

90 day reports starting from that date.

2 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

My passport is stamped. "Admitted until Aug. 5th, 2018."

I have been doing 90 day reports on time.

My next report is due is 60 days.

I do not have to do anything other than than the reports.

I have a multiple entry visa. That is the only re-entry permit I need.

If I leave Thailand for any time, and return on or before Aug. 5th, 2018...My passport will be stamped for an additional year from the date of entry. And Multiple Entry will still be included.

90 day reports starting from that date.

NEGATIVE, this is completely wrong.

Your visa will expire on the 23rd February and CANNOT be used for another entry after that date.

Do not mix up the visa expiry date and the permission to stay date, they are not the same thing.

If you leave and enter Thailand after your visa has expired (enter before date) and do not get a reentry permit then you will be admitted for 30 days only.

Edited by Mattd

3 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

Wrong

If you leave after the enter after the 23rd of this month without getting a re-entry permit you will only get a 30 day visa exempt entry when you enter the country.

2 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

So. Today. The immigration office TODAY told me I was ok until Aug. 5th 2018???

Really.

I removed a flame post you made and the resultant reply to it.

They told you that you can stay in the country until August 5th. They apparently failed to mention that you need a re-entry permit to keep that stay valid if you want to leave the country.

13 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

So the Immigration Officer lied...

She said. I do not need a re-entry permit.

I have a multiple entry visa.

I can come and go twice a day if I want up to the Admitted to date.

Finished...no reply necessary. 

A reply is very necessary for you to properly understand and for you to keep the non-immigrant entry alive.

The only thing that I can think is that Immigration Officer perhaps misunderstood you.

By your own admission you have an O-A visa (multiple entry) that was issued in February 2017 and this visa is valid until 23rd February 2018 as written on the visas use before date, after the 23rd February 2018 this visa is no longer valid for use, it will have expired.

For you to be able to come and go after the 23rd February and up to your admitted to date in August, then you absolutely must get a reentry permit.

If you do not do this, then you will have to either get another non immigrant visa, or convert a 30 day visa exempt entry in to a non immigrant in order to be able to do the extension of stay.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

Good luck with that.  Do, though update us on how that works out for you.

Looking at your original post, it looks like you have changed the story a bit on exactly what the immigration officer told you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnOFphon said:

You can until your Visa expires on Feb 23rd.

1 hour ago, JohnOFphon said:

Up to the 'enter before' date of the Visa.

The admitted to stay date is different from the validity of the Visa.

7. Please note that the period of visa validity is different from the period of stayVisa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand.  In general, the validity of a visa is 3 months, but in some cases, visas may be issued to be valid for 6 months, 1 year or 3 years.  The validity of a visa is granted with discretion by the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General and is displayed on the visa sticker. 

8. On the other hand, the period of stay is granted by an immigration officer upon arrival at the port of entry and in accordance with the type of visa.  For example, the period of stay for a transit visa is not exceeding 30 days, for a tourist visa is not exceeding 60 days and for a non-immigrant visa is not exceeding 90 days from the arrival date.  The period of stay granted by the immigration officer is displayed on the arrival stamp. 

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15405-General-information.html

On 2/19/2018 at 4:40 PM, JohnOFphon said:

You're responding pretty ungraciously to accurate advice from people who know what they're talking about. The immigration officer was correct in that you had no reason to visit their office at this time (due to the August stamp), but their comments regarding multiple entry must have been lost in translation. 

You actually have no problem staying until August on your current stamp, and you can still do multiple reentries after 23 February if you get the permit. But this will not extend the admitted to date on the visa - if you want to maximise this to be valid until February 2019, you're going to have to leave and get stamped back in before 23rd February this year. If you don't, even a reentry permit will not extend your stay beyond the stamped date you already have in August.

Depending on how you proceed, if you want to put this visa to long term use, you will need to put in place the extension of stay procedures a couple of months prior to either August this year, or February next year (if you do leave and reenter before this Friday).