Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

The Hit and Run Pattaya "whinge" Thread

JSixpack

On 2/20/2018 at 10:42 PM, swissie said:

Respect. The list of Pattaya "irritants" is quite complete I find. All points more or less relevant.
Future Pattaya visitors should all be in the posession of this list.
It would enable them to prepare (know what to expect) and find it all perfectly normal as long as it's on the list, helping them to avoid (or ignore) all the 120 potential pitfalls and irritants that an average tourist may encounter.

The author deserves praise. Never before has anyone presented such a comprehensive list of relevant "negatives" concerning the Beach-Resort. Again, respect.
Cheers.
PS: I retract my former statement in an other thread, that the author might possibly be on the payroll of the TAT. A person, unsparingly listing negatives and irritants in such relevant detail, can not possibly work for the TAT.

If you can laugh about all of this, then you'll prove Darwin right and you're going to be a survivor. You can take these skills with you anywhere in the world and thrive.

Not until I saw the majority of whinges listed in one place did I realise how well I've adapted to this cesspool LOL

Please, please... bring back Carrefour. I miss it.

Oh, what about the fear of the imminent collapse of Central Shopping Mall in the months after its completion? Hard to believe that was in 2009, nearly 10 years ago.

20 minutes ago, tropo said:

Oh, what about the fear of the imminent collapse of Central Shopping Mall in the months after its completion? Hard to believe that was in 2009, nearly 10 years ago.

Right! Forgot to add that one in, though I've laughed at it in several posts.

I also forgot Food labels covered up with Thai import labels! 

1 hour ago, JSixpack said:

That's a good one. It's really annoying. How dare they put Thai labels over the English so I can't read the instructions or ingredients. They are really hard to peel back LOL.

19 minutes ago, tropo said:

That's a good one. It's really annoying. How dare they put Thai labels over the English so I can't read the instructions or ingredients. They are really hard to peel back LOL.

Agreed! Not everyone knows how to heat up a can of Campbell's soup you know!!!

...or how about the Thai FDA's insistence that all multi-vitamins and supplements must be clearly labeled as NOT suitable for pregnant and/or nursing mothers.... including the whole range of multi-vitamins and supplements exclusively created for pregnant and/or nursing mothers!!

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Agreed! Not everyone knows how to heat up a can of Campbell's soup you know!!!

Are you telling me that you've never bought an item where the stickers have obscured information you wanted?  

1. Ingredients (salt, sugar etc)

2. Macronutrient content (fats, carbs, protein)

3. Specific cooking instructions for non-Campbell's-soup products

4. Country of manufacture.

I've attempted to peel stickers back on many occasions. Usually unsuccessfully.

LOL> it won't make me leave Thailand.

58 minutes ago, tropo said:

Are you telling me that you've never bought an item where the stickers have obscured information you wanted?  

1. Ingredients (salt, sugar etc)

2. Macronutrient content (fats, carbs, protein)

3. Specific cooking instructions for non-Campbell's-soup products

4. Country of manufacture.

I've attempted to peel stickers back on many occasions. Usually unsuccessfully.

LOL> it won't make me leave Thailand.

Right. I've tried that too of course. So then you're forced to dig around on the 'net to find out that sort of info. Me, I wouldn't whinge about it here but our members whinge about everything and one did indeed cover this base.

4 hours ago, JSixpack said:

I remember hearing from some members, not long after Central opening on January 23, that they were afraid to enter the building. They apparently heard a lot of rumbling and felt shaking. Did they ever pluck up the courage to go inside again? I still feel a little shaking on one of the upper levels.

Speaking of hard to peel off labels, what about those big yellow energy usage labels that are on most big appliances?   The first refrigerator we bought had one of those big, ugly labels right on the front.  Me, being a newbie, tried to peel it off, which left an even uglier mess.  So, then I tried to remove the remaining mess with an abrasive sponge, which I didn't think was THAT abrasive, only to find that once I finally got the mess off I had left scratch marks on the front of my brand new fridge.  (Why can't they at least put the darn thing on the side???)  Now, it's always a debate whether to try to take off the label or go native and just leave it on.  

5 minutes ago, newnative said:

Speaking of hard to peel off labels, what about those big yellow energy usage labels that are on most big appliances?   The first refrigerator we bought had one of those big, ugly labels right on the front.  Me, being a newbie, tried to peel it off, which left an even uglier mess.  So, then I tried to remove the remaining mess with an abrasive sponge, which I didn't think was THAT abrasive, only to find that once I finally got the mess off I had left scratch marks on the front of my brand new fridge.  (Why can't they at least put the darn thing on the side???)  Now, it's always a debate whether to try to take off the label or go native and just leave it on.  

LOL> I'm with you. One of my pet hates in this country is stickers on everything you buy that are either very hard or impossible to get off. I learned the hard way too after causing damage to many items and now tend to leave them on.

Does anyone have any fool-proof method to get stickers off? A safe solvent, perhaps?

9 minutes ago, tropo said:

LOL> I'm with you. One of my pet hates in this country is stickers on everything you buy that are either very hard or impossible to get off. I learned the hard way too after causing damage to many items and now tend to leave them on.

Does anyone have any fool-proof method to get stickers off? A safe solvent, perhaps?

A hair dryer and WD-40 for the adhesive.

40 minutes ago, adammike said:

A hair dryer and WD-40 for the adhesive.

How does the hair dryer help, especially on plastic items? It seems like a good way to damage the item and harden the adhesive. 

Pattaya is a filthy place with filthy people. Thats my whinge for today.
And filthy sex for those that are still interested in it. Many come to late (no pun) only to find not even the hottest Asian can stimulate the Libido so they drift off to chiang mai and such places

11 hours ago, JSixpack said:

9 hours ago, tropo said:

I've been known to spin all the cans/boxes around in an attempt to find one with a label that doesn't cover the information I desire, often the cooking instructions.  It's been too long since I've made Kraft Macaroni & Cheese -- I need to see the cooking instructions!  :sleep:

9 hours ago, tropo said:

I remember hearing from some members, not long after Central opening on January 23, that they were afraid to enter the building. They apparently heard a lot of rumbling and felt shaking. Did they ever pluck up the courage to go inside again? I still feel a little shaking on one of the upper levels.

No, they never did pluck up the courage. They can easily be spotted though. They're the ones that cross over onto the beach side of Beach and the dark side of Second when they have to pass Central (4 or 5 times a day), eyes constantly flickering warily towards the looming, trembling disaster zone. 

9 hours ago, tropo said:

And if they do, has it been tested on the hardest-to-remove-sticker-known-to-man in Pattaya?

The ones on Big C's Chinese-made metal, non-stick baking trays and loaf tins.

I recall many years ago when numerous space shuttle relaunches were being delayed at huge expense due to the glue that holds the heat-resistant nose tiles failing. They obviously never asked the Chinese! I have tried removing these and have failed miserably with either the non-stick surface around the label disappearing under furious scrubbing or the glue becoming hard and inseparable after failed attempts to burn the label off. Even after giving up and using the damn things with the labels on, they are still mostly intact despite multiple roastings at 400°F!

On 3/11/2018 at 9:05 PM, tropo said:

Yes. 

31rwwMZ77gL.jpg

I got it from HomePro I think, Scotch products are a real hit&run deal around here. If you see it, grab it. Took 3mins to get rid of all the crap on my new fridge, smudge free.

The digital displays on Tesco's tills at the checkouts. Only suitable for anyone under one meter tall with a magnifying glass and then anyone with 20/20 vision could be mistaken for thinking they are developing cataracts.

What on earth possessed Tesco to install till displays that people cannot read?

On 3/16/2018 at 10:40 PM, DrTuner said:

Yes. 

31rwwMZ77gL.jpg

I got it from HomePro I think, Scotch products are a real hit&run deal around here. If you see it, grab it. Took 3mins to get rid of all the crap on my new fridge, smudge free.

It's good with tonic water, ice and a slice of lime, or so my Russian friends tell me.

Archived