Early TM-30 reporting?

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

What you need to do depends upon the office you are reporting to.

Some will also want a TM28 change of address form submitted.

Thank you Joe. If I am just moving, and my 90 days is not up yet, can I just do the TM-28 or do I still need to do the TM-30 also?

6 minutes ago, Lagavulin said:

Yes, you're correct it is the landlords responsibility.  However, if she/he doesnt do it then YOU have to pay the fine.  This happened to me last time.

That's because you could have filed it as the 'tenant' or 'occupier' of the house.

17 minutes ago, Lagavulin said:

Thank you Joe. If I am just moving, and my 90 days is not up yet, can I just do the TM-28 or do I still need to do the TM-30 also?

You may need to do both dependent upon the office your report to.

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager
where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the
competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or
hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned.

“ House Master ” means any persons who is the chief possessor of a house , whether in the capacity of
owner , tenant , or in any other capacity whatsoever , in accordance with the law on people act.

Edited by Tanoshi

24 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Where?

Steve187 said it was the landlords responsibility, not me.

Sorry about that, youre correct.  Unfortunately there is no incentive for a landlord to file the TM-28 becuase if they dont the tenant pays the fine.  They should really make the landlord pay the fine if they dont file the report.

3 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

My brother & wife are staying with us in Phitsanulok for two nights, Saturday & Sunday, on their way from Chiang Mai  to Don Mueng/Phuket. Immigration is closed at weekend. What do I / my wife do?

Nothing

Immigration does not try to enforce situations like you mentioned.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lagavulin said:

Sorry about that, youre correct.  Unfortunately there is no incentive for a landlord to file the TM-28 becuase if they dont the tenant pays the fine.  They should really make the landlord pay the fine if they dont file the report.

The TM28 is always filed by you to notify a change of address of an alien.

The TM30 should be filed by the 'house master', the 'owner' or the possessor' to notify an alien taking up residence at a given address.

'House master' has a wide definition of who can be held responsible and/or subsequently fined for non compliance. 

TM28. FORM FOR ALIENS TO NOTIFY THEIR CHANGE OF ADDRESS.

TM30. NOTIFICATION FORM FOR HOUSE-MASTER, OWNER OR THE POSSESSOR OF THE RESIDENCE WHERE ALIEN HAS STAYED

Edited by Tanoshi

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

What you need to do depends upon the office you are reporting to.

Some will also want a TM28 change of address form submitted.

PHUKET:
I just changed houses last week,  i took  TM 28 & 30 

gave me back the 28

Make sure u have the POA form signed by landlord ( if they cant be with you) and the 2- 5 baht tax stamps

when i was there asked if needed to report after staying at hotel,

He said NO, only if u leave the country...

PLUS if u stay at a private house nobody reports, so its as if u never left home

Edited by phuketrichard

6 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

PLUS if u stay at a private house nobody reports, so its as if u never left home

Probably true that no one would be the wiser if you stayed in someone's home for a few days while still maintaining your same home address in Thailand but, theoretically at least, isn't the report by the "house master" where you're staying still required?

If a tourist came for a short visit and stayed in your home, wouldn't immigrations expect that a report of where they stayed would be filed?  Again, quite possible no one would know or be bothered about it in practice, but technically shouldn't the tourist's whereabouts be on record? If he stayed in a hotel even for one night it would, or at least should, be reported.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

If a tourist came for a short visit and stayed in your home, wouldn't immigrations expect that a report of where they stayed would be filed?  Again, quite possible no one would know or be bothered about it in practice, but technically shouldn't the tourist's whereabouts be on record? If he stayed in a hotel even for one night it would, or at least should, be reported.

Absolutely correct by the letter of the law.

Problem is the law was written when visitors to Thailand numbered 336,000 per annum, compared with 32.5 million in 2016.

Visitors back then mainly stayed in hotels, whereas today thousand of foreigners own or live in private residential homes.

It would be impossible to administrate the system if we all filed a TM30 every time we stayed in a friend or family members private residence for a few days.

Such an antiquated law should be treated using common sense.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

Absolutely correct by the letter of the law.

Problem is the law was written when visitors to Thailand numbered 336,000 per annum, compared with 32.5 million in 2016.

Visitors back then mainly stayed in hotels, whereas today thousand of foreigners own or live in private residential homes.

It would be impossible to administrate the system if we all filed a TM30 every time we stayed in a friend or family members private residence for a few days.

Such an antiquated law should be treated using common sense.

Yes, it's true everywhere.  Lawmakers or rule makers blithely enact laws/rules, or leave outdated ones in place, without any realistic idea of how they will ever be enforced. Quite often those who are expected to enforce them are chronically understaffed and may even find  their operating budget cut. Unfortunately that means that those affected may at times find the rules rigidly applied and at other times dismissed with a wave of the hand.

I can think of one or two similar non-Thai examples as well, but probably best if I don't go down that path right now.

• Like 1