Big rise in Thais seeking to adopt a child

webfact

Big rise in Thais seeking to adopt a child

By The Nation

d8ad22fc5e9bd5b9b7cf78b5cf9ca717.jpeg

File photo: Mental Health Department director-general Sqn-Leader Boonruang Triruangworawat

The number of people registering themselves as potential adoptive parents jumped nearly seven-fold between 2011 and 2016.

Interior Ministry records show that up to 9,339 persons were registered two years ago, a huge increase from 1,389 in 2011.

“Infertility problems are a factor,” Mental Health Department director-general Sqn-Leader Boonruang Triruangworawat said the other day. 

A 2014 health survey found that 9.8 per cent of people aged between 15 and 59 had suffered from infertility issues. 

Bangkok saw the highest number of adoptive-parent registrations in 2016, with 1,224 residents officially seeking to adopt children, Boonruang said. 

Chon Buri came second with 419 potential adoptive parents registered, followed by Nakhon Ratchasima with 280 registrations, and Chiang Mai with 264. 

The agency chief offered plenty of tips for people seeking to adopt a child. 

“It’s best to adopt children aged under six months old,” he said. 

He explained that raising babies from such a young age would allow deep bonding, as adopted children would remember only them as opposed to their biological parents. 

“If you adopt children aged between three and four years old, they may get angry that you take them away from what they believe is their family,” he explained. 

He also recommended that people check the physical health and family background of children they are going to adopt. 

“After you adopt children, you should tell them about adoption yourself when they are still young, like when they are three to four years old,” he said, adding, “Also, make sure you show your love and care when telling about them about adoption.” 

Sarutabhandu Chakrabhandu Na Ayutaya, director of the Galya Rajanagarindra Institute, said people seeking to adopt must pass screening tests related to their emotions, stress management and personality, as authorities needed to be sure they were fit for parenting.

Blood relatives are a major group of adoptive parents, officially taking over the custody of a niece, nephew or grandchild, he added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30339282

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-20

13 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It doesnt say that .

So how do they know that

12 hours ago, webfact said:

9.8 per cent of people aged between 15 and 59 had suffered from infertility issues. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, HooHaa said:

Sounds to me like he is talking people out of adopting children who really need homes.

Truly truly ignorant.

Yes, he's suggesting people do research to find the best genetic stock possible. Be damned with the rest. People in a financial position to adopt present the wealthier section of the population and a population that loves children, so the most genetically gifted children will be offered the best opportunities. Genetic cleansing?

1 hour ago, HooHaa said:

i wouldnt have gone that far, but suggesting to only adopt infants because older children are essentially ruined is awful enough

Interestingly, I was adopted from birth, and when i first arrived in thailand was told by many thai freinds and acquaintances never to share that fact.

there was a massive stigma against adoption when i first arrived here, and it is something of a relief to see that that stigma is fading, though the director general of mental health seems to be suffering some residual prejudice.

i have friends who adopted a 4 year old thai child some years back, and the conditions he came from were shocking. 

it took them the better part of  a year to wean him off the sugar that he was typically given as a panacea for everything - interestingly by what they described as obese american christian missionaries

This comment from Boonruang Triruangworawat suggests I may not have gone too far:

"He also recommended that people check the physical health and family background of children they are going to adopt."

Did I misunderstand him?