Coreldraw printing problem in Thai

bluesofa

I use Coreldraw version 10 (when I boot up in Windows 7) and have an issue when printing in Thai, but only with Coreldraw.

For some reason it must be the way Coreldraw renders the image for printing, as using the ‘export to pdf’ option in Coreldraw I have the same issue, hence I am able to attach the file to show.

The file with the text in black is from Libre Office and when exported as a pdf displays correctly.

It seems the error occurs only when there’s a vowel written above a letter in the text and a mai ek sign above it. I have highlighted the error in green.

In plain English: There should be a small vertical line above one of the vowels, but Coreldraw won’t render it correctly.

On line 4 I have highlighted the same scenario, but there’s no error, as there isn’t a vowel written above a letter, so the mai ek sign displays correctly.

When viewing on the screen shows the text correctly in Coreldraw. I have even tried changing the font, but without success.

I have no other problem printing in Thai using other programs.

I wonder if anyone might know how to resolve the issue?

cdr-correct.png

cdr-incorrect.png

CorelDraw uses its own font renderer to allow it maximum flexibility in applying typeface option (fill, stroke, rotation, skew, etc).

So it seems it isn't 'stacking' the multiple vowels correctly.

I don't have CorelDraw currently loaded, but as a potential work-around you might try highlighting each vowel character and playing with their vertical position -- see it if allows you to force where it gets rendered.

30 minutes ago, RichCor said:

CorelDraw uses its own font renderer to allow it maximum flexibility in applying typeface option (fill, stroke, rotation, skew, etc).

So it seems it isn't 'stacking' the multiple vowels correctly.

I don't have CorelDraw currently loaded, but as a potential work-around you might try highlighting each vowel character and playing with their vertical position -- see it if allows you to force where it gets rendered.

I didn't realise I couldn't do that per character? When I loads Windows later I'll have a look.

It does seem that being so close together, the tone mark and the vowel blend into one, but only when printing, of course.

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

the tone mark and the vowel blend into one, but only when printing

Seems odd that the render would be different when printing.

You might want to try other output options, like exporting or save-as

see if those have the same issue

2 minutes ago, RichCor said:

Seems odd that the render would be different when printing.

You might want to try other output options, like exporting or save-as

see if those have the same issue

Yes, it is strange. Maybe such an old version now, it struggles with another character set.

Another thing I am unable to do is copy & paste Thai text via the clipboard from another program into Coreldraw. It ends up as the usual line of ???????? - like that. I have to type it all in manually.

I did say that using 'export to pdf' command is how I produced both the attachments (I did a screen print of the pdfs). Libre Office does it fine, but not cdr.

I can't think what other print options there might be off-hand?

6 minutes ago, RichCor said:

Export is different from print.

Typical export options: 

CDR (CorelDRAW)
EPS (Encapsulated PostScript)
PDF (Portable Document Format)
PRN.
TIFF (Tagged Image File Format)
JPG (Joint Photographic Experts Group)
GIF (CompuServe Bitmap)

Oh yes. I use the jpg option sometimes. I see how that reacts later.

I normally use Linux Mint as my main OS. I've just opened the .cdr file in Mint, which triggered Libre Office oddly (to me anyway).

It displayed OK, and printed perfectly!

However, I still have some more to do on the image yet. Initially I just added the Thai text first, and was checking that, when I saw the printing problem.

I'll see how the Windows/Mint option pans out when I get the job finished.

I've found out how to get around my font problem. Use the one Coreldraw suggests!

When I use Thai, I tend to use Tahoma, especially for web design stuff as it's a standard font for Windows and 'supports' Thai for everything, or so I thought.

OK, I know it's not a natural Thai font, but it's Sans Serif and is well-known.

When I add Thai text in cdr, it comes up with Dok Champa as a Thai font. I've always ignored it in the past.

I don't remember using it before. I wonder if perhaps if it was with a download of 13 Thai fonts that all government departments use? I found that a few years ago, they're all in the public domain.

The point is, I accepted that font for text in cdr, and it works when displaying and printing.

I went through the others I have, it looks likes that's the only one I have compatible with cdr.

Unfortunately it doesn't do bold or italic, just underline. I can live with that for now.

All the other Thai fonts are listed as True Type, but apart from that I wouldn't know what's special about it.

Thanks for your suggestions about Thai fonts in cdr.

Archived