Formula to calculate price of 2nd hand bike

banagan

There is no formula, but anything second hand,seems to be

expensive,think they add finance payments on to purchase

price and work down from there,instead of the price of a new,

anything really,

You just have to use your own judgement,and common sense.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

Are you talking about a bike or a scooter?

If it’s a bike, try a Facebook market group for a specific model, there seems to be rough ideas at play, usually works on year/mileage/price, just watch the prices over a month.

if you are talking scooters, seems like price bands on condition and age, rather than mileage.

To tell the truth, you can’t rely on any method, a bike may have never been serviced, ridden by a nutter but polish up nicely. I knew a guy here who sold his Versys 650, the buyer has clocked the bike and was reselling it on the web as a premium low mileage bike, which it most defiantly wasn’t.

Always check the new price. My wife currently wants a hand start Wave, we looked around at scooters in places we had bought decent second hand scooters in the past, and I wasn’t overly impressed with the quality of 125’s when I asked how much a new one, the saving would be 12,000B over a scoot that’s 2-3 years old. No brainer really. She gets a new red plate bike to ride around on.

i have a second hand bike, I have a new bike too .. Over the time, we have had a string of really nice second hand scooters, it’s a matter of taking your time to buy and then finding the right time to trade them on before they depreciate. 

3 hours ago, jvs said:

I have bought second hand motorbikes and second hand cars,never a problem.You have to know where to look for.We were given a 21 year old motorbike with 65000 km on the clock it had not run for years.

Spend 8500 baht to get it all fixed up and looking like a new bike again.

I would take this bike on a world tour,just as reliable as a new one.

Then I am glad for you that you had no issues...but as you rightfully say, one must know where to look and have some basic knowledge in vehicles....as I am a perfect dummy and remember that on my last new car I bought here at home, I had to look at the instruction booklet to find where the oil measure gauge was under the hood:cheesy:

2 hours ago, recom273 said:

I asked how much a new one, the saving would be 12,000B over a scoot that’s 2-3 years old. No brainer really

are you saying you bought a new wave 12,000 baht cheaper than a 3 year old one, 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

As for any deal, the price is whatever the seller thinks he can get away with and the buyer's upper limit of what he is willing to pay. You can only research as best you can on comparable deals, as is what the OP is trying to do here.

17 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Then I am glad for you that you had no issues...but as you rightfully say, one must know where to look and have some basic knowledge in vehicles....as I am a perfect dummy and remember that on my last new car I bought here at home, I had to look at the instruction booklet to find where the oil measure gauge was under the hood:cheesy:

So your cognition about used Cars is obsolet......:coffee1:

6 hours ago, steve187 said:

op if you post details of what you want to buy or sell, age , mileage, model etc, i am sure you will get some near the mark suggestions, you will also get some way off the mark ones too.

I'm looking for 2 - 3 year old Honda Click, in good condition, <10k Miles.

New, they're about 52k baht new, so second hand should be around 30 - 35k baht?

Edited by banagan

3 hours ago, banagan said:

I'm looking for 2 - 3 year old Honda Click, in good condition, <10k Miles.

New, they're about 52k baht new, so second hand should be around 30 - 35k baht?

Hmmm .. round our way they are a little cheaper than that, when they are available. 

It seems the locals would prefer a semi-auto over an automatic.

In Thailand, that would be the list price of a new bike the year the bike was purchased.  The speedometer was disconnected so mileage means nothing here.  The rule of thumb is to avoid any bike more than 4 years old.  Rule 2 is to bargain and haggle.  Rule 3 is to have someone knowledgeable about bikes assist you.

• Like 1