Transferring prescriptions to a new hospital

cyril sneer

I've been using a private hospital the past year to get 3-months worth of medicine on each visit, and am about to move to a new area.

I don't have the prescription from my home country anymore and wondered the how I go about transferring. Should I ask the current hospital to print out a list of the past years prescriptions?

Also is there an option to obtain the medicine from a local public hospital? I'm currently having to travel 70km just to get the medicine each time.

Before leaving you should obtain your medical records from this private hospital (will need our ID to sign for them) and take that to your new doctor.  You should probably make a list of medication you take for the doctor also to be sure he does not miss anything.  As said almost all medications are available without prescription here so it will likely be cheaper to buy from a local drug store (but do see doctor and have required tests).  If you use a hospital you will have to see doctor before they will provide medications each time.  

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 2

As above.

You can't transfer prescriptions as such, they would have to be newly ordered by doctor at the new hospital. Bring your former records and list of what yo uare on so that he can eneter iut into your new record.

You can certainly use public hospital if you prefer, will likewise have to see doctor there first to get the meds ordered.

And odds are most or all of your medications can simply be bought at a pharmacy at much lower cost. Few drugs require a prescription in Thailand. Even when you see a doctor and he prescribes something you are usually better off NOT getting it from the hospital pharmacy but rather buying it yourself at a pharmacy.

• Like 1