International Drivers Permit

stud858

Ok so to summarize: 

1) Non-Immigrant Visa - You must have a Thai Licence. 

2) Other Visa (Exemption Stamp, Tourist Visas etc)...

-  IDP+Driving Licence is Valid for 12 months and accepted by the Traffic Police. 

-  IPD+Driving Licence *may-not be accepted by your Insurance company if you have an accident and have been here longer than 90 days.

*This will have to be checked directly with your insurance company. 

Item 1 regarding non-immigrant needing a Thai licence, I am not sure on.  I am on Tourist. Those on Non-Immigrant can confirm much the same way by asking at police station and their insurance companies.  But I did ask if my friend on retirement can use IDP for one year and the foreigner officer said yes.  My first intention is to make effort on finding information for myself. If I help people along the way deciding, good. And as a forum everyone has the right to put their share in.

Item 2.1 True. 2.2. yes still not confirmed with any insurance company. I'll post a full description of this topic soon of what I find from Government agencies and insurance companies.

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Get your cop to put it in writing because if you have a ploblem you will have nothing..

Years back a road block cop wanted to fine me for having an IDP..Mrs.Trans gave him some verbal as l had only been in the country a few days...We were told to bugger off on our way..

Great. I mean not great that you had issues, But some practical experience to hear about.

I'd like to add that I believe the IDP has changed over the years in it's acceptance and use.

In the UK a Thai can drive on their Thai license for one year, after that they are deemed to be unlicensed and their insurance void. They get prosecuted for no license and insurance if they pass that one year..

If folk want to take a chance in LOS with the BiB and their triple 7 coming up, well up to you..

13 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Great. I mean not great that you had issues, But some practical experience to hear about.

I'd like to add that I believe the IDP has changed over the years in it's acceptance and use.

No, it has not changed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

No, it has not changed.

My acceptance of it has changed.  I thought it was useless when I tried using one in the states. The rental company only wanted to see my Australian licence.  Now, I find it very useful in my situation.

1 minute ago, canthai55 said:

I have a vision in my head ...

Aus citizen gets pulled over in Nakhorn Nowhere. Shows the paper written by a police officer in Pattaya saying he can drive for one year in LOS with his IDP.

Any guesses as to the outcome ... Ka Ching !!!

Quite possibly. Or with a Thai licence, Sorry sir you didnt indicate correctly. Same thing really at the end of the day. A risk in everything. IDP riskier than Thai licence. Yes, I think so too. Agreed.

As promised, back from my excursion.

I have been to an insurance company’s office, a car registration renewal office and had email correspondence with another insurance company.

Regarding the situation if they will insure or agree that IDP is covered by insurance companies- This is what I found out and base my decisions on.  You must visit your own insurance company to decide on your particular situation. 

All 3 parties agreed that IDP would be covered. None suggested that I was not covered under IDP circumstance. 

Against the idea that IDP is safe - None could provide or direct me to exact proof of this such as official website information or written declaration.

One insurance company offered something at least useful that could lead to something more solid.

Go to the website. www.oic.or.th It is the overseeing regulatory agency of insurance companies.  I’m not bothering investigating that side of things, but some of you may find some useful information to help you decide.

At the same time, to be fair to the argument, I asked the insurance company I visited to show me where it is written in terms or conditions or policy info that specifically foreigners will be covered holding a thai drivers licence.  They couldn’t. The manager of an insurance company office along with a signing officer were offering me a lot of their  time to settle my concerns and said they cannot add to standard contracts with such sentences as IDP is approved for a full year or anything of the like.  There were a lot of side topics covered and in broken communication so it’s best you find out things for yourself. 

Call your insurance office and quiz them. I’ve done enough to make myself comfortable that my insurance company will honor the IDP and what I can do if I’m mistreated.

You are all welcome to ask me more questions about my mentioned visits, but no great checkable facts within this part of the debate for either side, except that may be found at the website above.

5 minutes ago, jayci said:

https://international-permit.com/en-us/how.html
This company is offering IDP for up to 10 years. They say they can do for many countries.
Are they a scam? Really cheap plan for the 10 years.

Sent from my Le X820 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

My method was to check with my transport office, ie. the office that I get my Australian licence from and ask them who is the authorized provider of IDP. They told me RACV https://www.racv.com.au/travel-leisure/holiday-planning/international-driving-licence.html so that's were I got mine.  I would simply go back to my local office and ask if they are approved.  If you are an American you need to check with your official transport office. Send them an email. Easy enough to find out.  But I was under the impression, 1 year at a time, so seems suspicious to me. Be careful and check with official offices.

• Like 1

My method was to check with my transport office, ie. the office that I get my Australian licence from and ask them who is the authorized provider of IDP. They told me RACV https://www.racv.com.au/travel-leisure/holiday-planning/international-driving-licence.html so that's were I got mine.  I would simply go back to my local office and ask if they are approved.  If you are an American you need to check with your official transport office. Send them an email. Easy enough to find out.  But I was under the impression, 1 year at a time, so seems suspicious to me. Be careful and check with official offices.

Yeah, I have a QLD license

21 minutes ago, jayci said:

https://international-permit.com/en-us/how.html
This company is offering IDP for up to 10 years. They say they can do for many countries.
Are they a scam? Really cheap plan for the 10 years.

Illegal, not valid IDP.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stud858 said:

or RACQ....in queensland... I am right?

Sorry and just double check. I know RACV is offical IDP provider in Victoria, but just double check with your licencing office that RACQ is offical provider in Queensland. Should be.

• Like 1