International Drivers Permit

stud858

34 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Actually, I would say that's more important than anything else in your post. It may help others avoid the same problems when they apply. How would you be putting anyone on trial? There's no need to mention names or even locations. You are suggesting a way of avoiding getting a Thai licence without explaining why that should even be necessary.

I'm suggesting a way of getting a legal licence if one is denied and you feel as though you are hard done by. Don't avoid getting a Thai licence by any means. If you are forced not to have a Thai licence there is the IDP option.  Or , if you find out that the IDP just is easier and as legal, it may be a chosen better option for some.  I'm not forcing anyone's hand either way. I am even unsure myself.  Still need some facts.   I hope we together can clear up some possible misunderstandings regarding what an IDP is and some of the possible things it is not.  Sorry, in fear of retribution each one of us is entitled to silence.  Each one of us will have our own differing hardships.  

I have been to the police station on beach road in Pattaya.

I have confirmed with a foreigner officer inside there and a Thai officer just outside of there that the IDP is valid for 1 year from the date of stamp and that 3 months is not a limit. I confirmed I am wanting to drive for 8 months on my METV and that's ok.

I confirmed that friends who are on retirement visas can do the same.

This has now become a checkable (changeable?) fact.  If anyone goes to a police station and is told otherwise please state it here.

I'm not promising that people won't get told different things or face adversity, but I'm happy to move onto the next big most important question. Will my insurance company or another be willing to put it in writing that I am covered under IDP.

Also note that it is important for those wanting an IDP is that you need to specify for motorbike or car when applying.

Another thing is that the concerns that others have put forward about taking the risk of not having a Thai licence are valid. Make up your own mind if IDP is for you.

2 hours ago, stud858 said:

I'm suggesting a way of getting a legal licence if one is denied and you feel as though you are hard done by. Don't avoid getting a Thai licence by any means. If you are forced not to have a Thai licence there is the IDP option.  Or , if you find out that the IDP just is easier and as legal, it may be a chosen better option for some.  I'm not forcing anyone's hand either way. I am even unsure myself.  Still need some facts.   I hope we together can clear up some possible misunderstandings regarding what an IDP is and some of the possible things it is not.  Sorry, in fear of retribution each one of us is entitled to silence.  Each one of us will have our own differing hardships.  

You're looking for the answer you want at this stage rather than the truth/reality .... 

Ask those police who told you to put it in writing and sign it with his  name and badge number

• Like 1

Just now, speedtripler said:

You're looking for the answer you want at this stage rather than the truth/reality .... 

Ask those police who told you to put it in writing and sign it with his  name and badge number

If I did that then I'd have to do the same with a Thai licence too.

It would have been a bit impolite too. Like, saying I don't trust you, put it in writing.

I did ask if there was a website with these details.  The foreigner officer said he wished and that the Thai's probably left it at the idea that it's in the Geneva Convention so checkable there and no need to advertise it.

If each person goes down and asks they will get there own idea of the rule and the trustworthiness of it.

Don't trust me. Go and check.

13 minutes ago, stud858 said:

If I did that then I'd have to do the same with a Thai licence too.

It would have been a bit impolite too. Like, saying I don't trust you, put it in writing.

I did ask if there was a website with these details.  The foreigner officer said he wished and that the Thai's probably left it at the idea that it's in the Geneva Convention so checkable there and no need to advertise it.

If each person goes down and asks they will get there own idea of the rule and the trustworthiness of it.

Don't trust me. Go and check.

I don't need to trust you. I don't need to go check

I just went through the bullshit necessary to get Thai licences..... 

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

IDP valid for one year - yes

IDP valid in Thailand for over 90 days - no

If residing in the Kingdom for over 90 days a Thai DL is a requirement.

Good luck with any insurance company - or any official - putting anything in writing for you.

You have been given the correct answers. Do with it what you will

Please state where your information came from so people can check.

IDP validity - look inside one

When you need a thai DL - Look at the Pinned topic - top of page - General motoring info. For those needing their hand held to find it ...

http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

Look for 'How to get a Thai DL

Where it says ... Once you have been in Thailand for a period extending 3 months, you will need an Thai driving licence, even though international drivers licenses are legally accepted. Several insurance companies have a fine print stating that the driver should hold a valid Thai driving licence to be fully covered. Besides that: You'll offer the local law enforcement great opportunities by continuing to drive with an international license.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

IDP validity - look inside one

When you need a thai DL - Look at the Pinned topic - top of page - General motoring info. For those needing their hand held to find it ...

http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

Look for 'How to get a Thai DL

Where it says ... Once you have been in Thailand for a period extending 3 months, you will need an Thai driving licence, even though international drivers licenses are legally accepted. Several insurance companies have a fine print stating that the driver should hold a valid Thai driving licence to be fully covered. Besides that: You'll offer the local law enforcement great opportunities by continuing to drive with an international license.

This is not an official site that you quote. Much the same as if text written on this forum is read. Looks good and right but not official.

At the police station on Pattaya beach road you can get the official information for the current period.

Everyone has the right to browse and filter through all the information presented and thank you for supplying but I'd recommend people go to the police stations for their information rather than a private website that may have outdated information.

Believe it. Don't believe it. Will sleep like a baby.

Come on a public forum, ask for help, receive said help, not believe what people tell you.

Fine with me. Post about the tickets you get, and the insurance company failing to pay out after an accident when you only have an IDP after 90 days.

A good laugh makes my day.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Believe it. Don't believe it. Will sleep like a baby.

Come on a public forum, ask for help, receive said help, not believe what people tell you.

Fine with me. Post about the tickets you get, and the insurance company failing to pay out after an accident when you only have an IDP after 90 days.

A good laugh makes my day.

I honestly will post about problems I encounter with IDP and encourage others to do so also.

So far, it looks good to me.  Gather all the info everybody and make the best decisions for yourself.

One very last thing I'd like to do before laying this baby to rest is confirm at least one insurance company gives written acceptance for the IDP.  I'll keep you all posted.  I'll visit my current insurance office hopefully tomorrow. But AFL footy starts tomorrow, so that may be postponed.

21 hours ago, stud858 said:

I have been to the police station on beach road in Pattaya.

I have confirmed with a foreigner officer inside there and a Thai officer just outside of there that the IDP is valid for 1 year from the date of stamp and that 3 months is not a limit. I confirmed I am wanting to drive for 8 months on my METV and that's ok.

I confirmed that friends who are on retirement visas can do the same.

This has now become a checkable (changeable?) fact.  If anyone goes to a police station and is told otherwise please state it here.

I'm not promising that people won't get told different things or face adversity, but I'm happy to move onto the next big most important question. Will my insurance company or another be willing to put it in writing that I am covered under IDP.

Also note that it is important for those wanting an IDP is that you need to specify for motorbike or car when applying.

Another thing is that the concerns that others have put forward about taking the risk of not having a Thai licence are valid. Make up your own mind if IDP is for you.

Bad information you received, did you get it in writing from the police?

You won't encounter any problems until you're in a major accident.

Edited by stevenl

17 hours ago, stud858 said:

Please state where your information came from so people can check.

Its in the Thai traffic act, Once you reside in Thailand on a long stay visa (over 90 days) you are required to get a Thai licence. On a short stay visa (up to 90 days) you drive on your home license accompanied by an IDP translation document.

The validity of the IDP translation document has nothing to do with the requirement to get a Thai license after 90 days.

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Its in the Thai traffic act, Once you reside in Thailand on a long stay visa (over 90 days) you are required to get a Thai licence. On a short stay visa (up to 90 days) you drive on your home license accompanied by an IDP translation document.

The validity of the IDP translation document has nothing to do with the requirement to get a Thai license after 90 days.

Can you please state where your information came from so people can check.

23 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I did manage to see a translated version online. It doesn't mention anything about short stay visa and 90 day limits.  Can you please direct everyone to which text you are referring to.  Even if it's in Thai, people can use google translate I guess.

3 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Can you please state where your information came from so people can check.

http://driving-in-thailand.com/motor-vehicle-act/#03

You appear to be under the impression that an IDP is a license and somehow entitles you to drive in Thailand. An IDP is a translation document that accompanies your home license, thats it, nothing else. IDP validity has nothing to do with how long you can drive in Thailand.

You can drive on your home license for any short stay visa which by default is a maximum of 90 days. After 90 days by default you are on a long stay visa and need to get a Thai license.

Most countries in the world are signatories to the international driving treaties and accept each others home driving licenses for short durations, usually 3 months or until you reside permanently in the country, then you are required to get a license for that country.

When driving on your home country license, as per the treaties you need to carry a translation document with your license, otherwise you could be handing the police your gym membership card in Arabic and they are none the wiser.

Again, An IDP is a translation document, it accomanies your home licence.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

http://driving-in-thailand.com/motor-vehicle-act/#03

You appear to be under the impression that an IDP is a license and somehow entitles you to drive in Thailand. An IDP is a translation document that accompanies your home license, thats it, nothing else. IDP validity has nothing to do with how long you can drive in Thailand.

You can drive on your home license for any short stay visa which by default is a maximum of 90 days. After 90 days by default you are on a long stay visa and need to get a Thai license.

Most countries in the world are signatories to the international driving treaties and accept each others home driving licenses for short durations, usually 3 months or until you reside permanently in the country, then you are required to get a license for that country.

When driving on your home country license, as per the treaties you need to carry a translation document with your license, otherwise you could be handing the police your gym membership card in Arabic and they are none the wiser.

Again, An IDP is a translation document, it accomanies your home licence.

This is the exact document I got to see before you posted your link. What a coincidence. Internet such a small world.  Can you specify which section relates to the 90 days. I've scanned over it and still can't find information that you quote. If you could copy and paste here that would be a great help to everyone.

16 minutes ago, stud858 said:

I did manage to see a translated version online. It doesn't mention anything about short stay visa and 90 day limits.  Can you please direct everyone to which text you are referring to.  Even if it's in Thai, people can use google translate I guess.

Section 42.

If the driver is an alien who doesn’t have an immigrant visa, he may drive a motor vehicle with a driver’s license specified in the Section 42-2. In such a case, he must carry documents specified by the treaty between the Thai government and the government which issued such driver’s license, and show them to competent officers upon request.

Its standard all over the world, you drive on your home license until you reside in the country, then you get a local license.

Either way the IDP or its validity has nothing to do with it, its simply a translation document.

This site has a lot of the information or read up about international driving treaties etc.

http://driving-in-thailand.com

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Section 42.

If the driver is an alien who doesn’t have an immigrant visa, he may drive a motor vehicle with a driver’s license specified in the Section 42-2. In such a case, he must carry documents specified by the treaty between the Thai government and the government which issued such driver’s license, and show them to competent officers upon request.

Its standard all over the world, you drive on your home license until you reside in the country, then you get a local license.

Either way the IDP or its validity has nothing to do with it, its simply a translation document.

This site has a lot of the information or read up about international driving treaties etc.

The quoted text above does not show anything in relation to a 90 day limit.  The police in Pattaya are currently allowing 1 year validity as the permit states. I am yet to see at all anything official to the contrary. 

4 minutes ago, stud858 said:

The quoted text above does not show anything in relation to a 90 day limit.  The police in Pattaya are currently allowing 1 year validity as the permit states. I am yet to see at all anything official to the contrary. 

What kind of driving license do I need to drive  in Thailand?

Can I just carry my national driving permit?

If you are not a resident (i.e. you are on a tourist visa or exemption of visa), you only need your national driving permit to be able to drive in Thailand. So, if you are visiting Thailand as a tourist and you want to rent a car for just a few days, you just need to carry the driving permit you obtained in your home country. This is clearly indicated in the Motor Vehicle Act:

Section 42-2
In case there’s a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver’s license, an alien who doesn’t have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver’s license issued by such a foreign government, or an automobile association authorized by such a foreign government.

Do I need to get an international driving license?

idp-150x150.jpgAn international driving permit (IDP) can be obtained in your home country. Basically, it is a translation in English of your original driving license, so if your national driving license is not in English, it can save some hassle with the police if you can produce an IDP.

Be careful of the period of validity of your IDP, as it can be as short as three months, no longer than three years in any case, and no longer than the period of validity of your national permit. Besides, to be valid, the IDP must be carried together with the national permit.

In any case, to determine if you need an IDP or not, you should also read in details what any contract says, for instance your travel insurance or any vehicle rental agreements.

Who needs a Thai driving license?

People who are residents in Thailand (on a non-immigrant visa) are required to obtain a Thai driving license in order to legally drive a car or a motorbike.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stud858 said:

All this because you have asked a Policeman and believe him after he's told you what you want to hear?

It would seem that you've run your own thread dry. You are not going to get a 'perfect answer' these rarely exist in Thai officialdom...  An official answer of the speed limits on Bangkok expressways can't be realised (is it 80 or 120kmh ?... Signs say 80 kmh, but the Police will only book you if you are going over 120 kmh)...

Many insurance companies will only cover you if you are driving on an Driving Licence + IDP (with anything other than a Non-Immigrant Visa) for up to 90 days - The Local Policeman will not know anything of this. 

This is somewhat of a 'grey area' and many people have been driving on their home country licence + IDP for a number of years without issue.... But the point people are making is that there 'could' be an issue with your insurance IF you have an accident... 

Why even risk this grey area when obtaining a Thai Licence is so easy to do and simply takes a couple of hours?

You won't offer information as to why you could not get a Thai Licence... this would be the most useful information you could bring to this thread, I've never heard of anyone being rejected a Thai Licence before (who hold the correct documents).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

What kind of driving license do I need to drive  in Thailand?

Can I just carry my national driving permit?

If you are not a resident (i.e. you are on a tourist visa or exemption of visa), you only need your national driving permit to be able to drive in Thailand. So, if you are visiting Thailand as a tourist and you want to rent a car for just a few days, you just need to carry the driving permit you obtained in your home country. This is clearly indicated in the Motor Vehicle Act:

Section 42-2
In case there’s a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver’s license, an alien who doesn’t have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver’s license issued by such a foreign government, or an automobile association authorized by such a foreign government.

Do I need to get an international driving license?

idp-150x150.jpgAn international driving permit (IDP) can be obtained in your home country. Basically, it is a translation in English of your original driving license, so if your national driving license is not in English, it can save some hassle with the police if you can produce an IDP.

Be careful of the period of validity of your IDP, as it can be as short as three months, no longer than three years in any case, and no longer than the period of validity of your national permit. Besides, to be valid, the IDP must be carried together with the national permit.

In any case, to determine if you need an IDP or not, you should also read in details what any contract says, for instance your travel insurance or any vehicle rental agreements.

Who needs a Thai driving license?

People who are residents in Thailand (on a non-immigrant visa) are required to obtain a Thai driving license in order to legally drive a car or a motorbike.

Whenever you see advertising on a website please take note that it's most likely not official information.

This website you quote is not official.  The official information you quoted shown below specifically avoids any limit on time. See section 44. ie for item 10. There is no 90 day limit.

Section 43
Anyone who wishes to drive a motor vehicle must apply for a driver’s license according to following categories:
1. Temporary license for a private car, three-wheeled car, or motorcycle
2. License for a private car
3. License for a private three-wheeled car
4. License for a public car
5. License for a public three-wheeled car
6. License for a motorcycle
7. License for a roller car
8. License for a tractor
9. License for a motor vehicle not specified in 1. – 8.
10. International Driving Permit for a car or motorcycle

Those who has a license #4 may drive a private car.
Those who has a license #5 may drive a private three-wheeled car.

Section 44
A driver’s license under the category #1 – #6 or #9 is valid for one year. A driver’s license under the category #7 or #8 is valid for three years. Upon renewal of a driver’s license, it is valid for either one year or three years.

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

You won't offer information as to why you could not get a Thai Licence... this would be the most useful information you could bring to this thread, I've never heard of anyone being rejected a Thai Licence before (who hold the correct documents).

Rejected because couldn't pass the test maybe, ie failed?

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

All this because you have asked a Policeman and believe him after he's told you what you want to hear?

It would seem that you've run your own thread dry. You are not going to get a 'perfect answer' these rarely exist in Thai officialdom...  An official answer of the speed limits on Bangkok expressways can't be realised (is it 80 or 120kmh ?... Signs say 80 kmh, but the Police will only book you if you are going over 120 kmh)...

Many insurance companies will only cover you if you are driving on an Driving Licence + IDP (with anything other than a Non-Immigrant Visa) for up to 90 days - The Local Policeman will not know anything of this. 

This is somewhat of a 'grey area' and many people have been driving on their home country licence + IDP for a number of years without issue.... But the point people are making is that there 'could' be an issue with your insurance IF you have an accident... 

Why even risk this grey area when obtaining a Thai Licence is so easy to do and simply takes a couple of hours?

This is not for those wanting a Thai drivers licence or how to get one.  I am letting people know that they have an option for an IDP, how to get one, their advantages and disadvantages.  Some information checkable, some not.  The more information you get the better decision you can make for yourself.  

Obviously not the choice for you, but some, maybe.

9 minutes ago, stud858 said:

This is not for those wanting a Thai drivers licence or how to get one.  I am letting people know that they have an option for an IDP, how to get one, their advantages and disadvantages.  Some information checkable, some not.  The more information you get the better decision you can make for yourself.  

You have been insinuating to others "no ploblem" continuing using an IDP in LOS. You are wrong and folk should understand that you can end up in serious doo doo if the BiB see an "opening"....Thai driving test is a laugh and if you could not pass it then perhaps driving is not for you..

Now Stud, tell us exactly why you are having ploblems getting a Thai license...

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Ok so to summarize: 

1) Non-Immigrant Visa - You must have a Thai Licence.

2) Other Visa (Exemption Stamp, Tourist Visas etc)...

-  IDP+Driving Licence is Valid for 12 months and accepted by the Traffic Police. 

-  IPD+Driving Licence *may-not be accepted by your Insurance company if you have an accident and have been here longer than 90 days.

*This will have to be checked directly with your insurance company. 

You don't have to believe any of this of course, but it is the way it is and pretty much everyone on this thread so far has told you this. There are web-pages which outline this and you are not accepting them because they are not-official (Government) sources, but they are as close to reliable and valid information as you are going to get. 

You wrote that you are 'letting people know' that they have an option to drive here with an IDP - but so do these websites quoted so far in this thread. Why would the comments you agree with ThaiVisa.com be any more reputable than any of these websites?

I know you are trying to do something good by attempting to compile some factual and definitive answers backed up by official sources, but it's not there because the limited time (90 days) is limited by some insurance companies and is thus related to business and not legal policy.  

Thus you are ultimately muddying the waters on what is a very simple topic -  With a non Non-Imm Visa IF you plan on driving here any longer than 90 days you really 'should' obtain a Thai Licence.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Ok so to summarize: 

1) Non-Immigrant Visa - You must have a Thai Licence.

2) Other Visa (Exemption Stamp, Tourist Visas etc)...

-  IDP+Driving Licence is Valid for 12 months and accepted by the Traffic Police. 

-  IPD+Driving Licence *may-not be accepted by your Insurance company if you have an accident and have been here longer than 90 days.

*This will have to be checked directly with your insurance company. 

You don't have to believe any of this of course, but it is the way it is and pretty much everyone on this thread so far has told you this. There are web-pages which outline this and you are not accepting them because they are not-official (Government) sources, but they are as close to reliable and valid information as you are going to get. 

You wrote that you are 'letting people know' that they have an option to drive here with an IDP - but so do these websites quoted so far in this thread. Why would the comments you agree with ThaiVisa.com be any more reputable than any of these websites?

I know you are trying to do something good by attempting to compile some factual and definitive answers backed up by official sources, but it's not there because the limited time (90 days) is limited by some insurance companies and is thus related to business and not legal policy.  

Thus you are ultimately muddying the waters on what is a very simple topic -  With a non Non-Imm Visa IF you plan on driving here any longer than 90 days you really 'should' obtain a Thai Licence.

Agree with you, but IMO your final sentence should also apply to others:

Thus you are ultimately muddying the waters on what is a very simple topic -  With a non Non-Imm Visa or if staying here long term on tourist visa IF you plan on driving here any longer than 90 days you really 'should' obtain a Thai Licence.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

You have been insinuating to others "no ploblem" continuing using an IDP in LOS. You are wrong and folk should understand that you can end up in serious doo doo if the BiB see an "opening"....Thai driving test is a laugh and if you could not pass it then perhaps driving is not for you..

Now Stud, tell us exactly why you are having ploblems getting a Thai license...

I only forward the evidence I find.  People can find it wrong that I've confirmed something at a police station and reject a private websites text or read through official law acts. That's my method of confirming the most factual information. Let me say again that I do not recommend avoiding a Thai licence if you can get one and I don't say it's fail safe that you won't face problems with an IDP. The information from everyone here is seen by everyone else.  Make your own informed decision.

I'm sorry if you saw insinuation. None intended. But continuing to use an IDP in Thailand seems safe to me thus far. My view may change and I don't force it on anybody.

4 minutes ago, stud858 said:

I only forward the evidence I find.  People can find it wrong that I've confirmed something at a police station and reject a private websites text or read through official law acts. That's my method of confirming the most factual information. Let me say again that I do not recommend avoiding a Thai licence if you can get one and I don't say it's fail safe that you won't face problems with an IDP. The information from everyone here is seen by everyone else.  Make your own informed decision.

I'm sorry if you saw insinuation. None intended. But continuing to use an IDP in Thailand seems safe to me thus far. My view may change and I don't force it on anybody.

Get your cop to put it in writing because if you have a ploblem you will have nothing..

Years back a road block cop wanted to fine me for having an IDP..Mrs.Trans gave him some verbal as l had only been in the country a few days...We were told to bugger off on our way..