Self order kiosks at McDonalds

Hal65

10 hours ago, duanebigsby said:

On the face of it, kiosks appear to be replacing workers but it's simply not the case.  McD's is adding concierge and table service to its restaurants which have kiosks. The increase in sales means more kitchen staff and food runners are required. There are many reports that the kiosks are actually resulting in a net gain in jobs. The minimum wage hikes had nothing to do with the advent of kiosks. They had been in the works years before there was any talk of a $15 an hour minimum.

That only lasts till service robots are cheap enough, and then McDs and the rest will be delivering to your table with a cute robot with a deferential attitude.

If the drone delivery thing pans out expect them to close the expensive buildings in favour of home delivery. The shareholders will be lovin' it.

As for kitchen staff; won't be needed except for a lowly paid hopper loader. I'm sure you don't think they actually make those meat patties by hand just before they are required, do you? They are made in a factory by machines.

The bread buns the same. The rest can be inserted by a machine on a conveyor belt from bulk hoppers and the conveyor belt will go through a big oven, like those automatic toasters in hotels with a little conveyor belt. Can even replace fries cooked in oil with oven chips. They might employ a human to put the finished product in a little box according to the order direct from the ordering machine, as per the OP, and put it in front of the customer, but don't expect to get rich doing that. That's only 2 people required, though a drive through might employ a third. 

Back home they don't even fill the cup now. Just give the empty cup and you fill it yourself from a big machine.

On 24/02/2018 at 2:42 PM, Sealbash said:

Doesn’t it require people to build, program, install, and maintain these machines?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, which is why smart countries are training every high school student to be a programmer.

But, not most western countries

I actually hope all this filters down.  A machine can make a good coffee or Cappuccino.  I could care less about interacting wit some moody, Facebook addicted teenager with an attitude.

Please, please, bring on more of the machines.......

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That only lasts till service robots are cheap enough, and then McDs and the rest will be delivering to your table with a cute robot with a deferential attitude.

If the drone delivery thing pans out expect them to close the expensive buildings in favour of home delivery. The shareholders will be lovin' it.

As for kitchen staff; won't be needed except for a lowly paid hopper loader. I'm sure you don't think they actually make those meat patties by hand just before they are required, do you? They are made in a factory by machines.

The bread buns the same. The rest can be inserted by a machine on a conveyor belt from bulk hoppers and the conveyor belt will go through a big oven, like those automatic toasters in hotels with a little conveyor belt. Can even replace fries cooked in oil with oven chips. They might employ a human to put the finished product in a little box according to the order direct from the ordering machine, as per the OP, and put it in front of the customer, but don't expect to get rich doing that. That's only 2 people required, though a drive through might employ a third. 

Back home they don't even fill the cup now. Just give the empty cup and you fill it yourself from a big machine.

Do some googling. The scenario you're alarmed about won't happen.

• Haha 1

On 2/24/2018 at 11:35 AM, bkk6060 said:

I hope so because too many lame people seem to be in line at these places.

They are in line for 10 minutes then decide when they need to order to look at the menu, point and point, ask a bunch of odd questions.

Maybe I am being impatient.

But, are there that many people coming here who have never been to a McDonald's or Burglar King?

self order kioks is SO MUCH MORE EFFICIENT compared to staff over the counter who can pronounce english accurately, makes tons of mistakes in your order and respect thais who tries to cut the Q. And yes, it doesnt make things better when there are a bunch of idiots who cant make up their minds or they are just standing around waiting for something to drop from the sky or something

16 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

With all the people lovin' it being able to use an app that eliminates jobs, I wonder how they will feel when THEIR job is eliminated by an app?

Here's an idea; try to think of any job that can't be replaced by AI, androids ( robots combined with AI ) or robots, and make a list. It will be a very short list.

The writing has been on the wall since the days of Eddie Shah but there were those that didn't bother to read. Jobs are not being lost, just created elsewhere.

There will always be a job manufacturing the physical capability of modern technology. AI is very much like the human spirit, it will always need a host in which to operate.

57 minutes ago, emma12055 said:

self order kioks is SO MUCH MORE EFFICIENT compared to staff over the counter who can pronounce english accurately, makes tons of mistakes in your order and respect thais who tries to cut the Q. And yes, it doesnt make things better when there are a bunch of idiots who cant make up their minds or they are just standing around waiting for something to drop from the sky or something

I think the self checkout machines are great. Nobody wants to use them so you get straight to the front of the queue, I just call someone over and ask them to show me how to use it, all done for you in a flash.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

The writing has been on the wall since the days of Eddie Shah but there were those that didn't bother to read. Jobs are not being lost, just created elsewhere.

There will always be a job manufacturing the physical capability of modern technology. AI is very much like the human spirit, it will always need a host in which to operate.

Oh dear. Look at the "McJobs" being created. Part time, low hour, minimum wage, yes; proper jobs that pay enough to live on, buy a house, raise a family without both parents having to work long hours, not so much.

You think all those kids going into debt to get a degree in "media studies" are going to get a high paying job?

At the moment, nursing is about the only degree requiring job with prospects of a decent return I can think of, and few want to do it because it's such a <deleted> job.

Best jobs are non degree occupations like welders, mechanics, plumbers, electricians and builders. Getting a qualification in them at the moment is the ticket to the big money.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

I think the self checkout machines are great. Nobody wants to use them so you get straight to the front of the queue, I just call someone over and ask them to show me how to use it, all done for you in a flash.

Are you incapable of using the machines yourself ?

21 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I think you're fear mongering. Bottom line, as McD's automates massive layoffs aren't happening. The roles are changing that's all. No one has ever expected to get rich working at a fast food place, nothing's changed. If they switch to oven chips people will notice and stop going. Of course I realize the meat patties aren't crafted in the kitchen, but someone is there putting it on the grill, flipping it and putting it on the  the bun and adding the ingredients together. Fast food restaurants will need these minimum wage people for years to come.

7 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

I think you're fear mongering. Bottom line, as McD's automates massive layoffs aren't happening. The roles are changing that's all. No one has ever expected to get rich working at a fast food place, nothing's changed. If they switch to oven chips people will notice and stop going. Of course I realize the meat patties aren't crafted in the kitchen, but someone is there putting it on the grill, flipping it and putting it on the  the bun and adding the ingredients together. Fast food restaurants will need these minimum wage people for years to come.

I was speaking about every job in the world, not just McDs. Last time you used a parking building in a western country did you pay a human or a machine? In my country it's all machines.

Fast food places will only employ people as long as machines are more expensive. Once machines are cheaper the people are gone. McD isn't a charitable organisation.

If they switch to oven chips people will notice and stop going.

Oven chips are more healthy. More people will buy their chips there if they are oven chips than ones full of heart killing saturated fats.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I was speaking about every job in the world, not just McDs. Last time you used a parking building in a western country did you pay a human or a machine? In my country it's all machines.

Fast food places will only employ people as long as machines are more expensive. Once machines are cheaper the people are gone. McD isn't a charitable organisation.

If they switch to oven chips people will notice and stop going.

Oven chips are more healthy. More people will buy their chips there if they are oven chips than ones full of heart killing saturated fats.

My point is the jobs are shifting not being lost. If you replace a parking attendant with a machine someone is hiring a worker to make parking lot machines. There will always be workers in a McD's making sure the machines are running. Not many people going to McDs give a rat's ass about health. They want deep fried french fries.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Oh dear. Look at the "McJobs" being created. Part time, low hour, minimum wage, yes; proper jobs that pay enough to live on, buy a house, raise a family without both parents having to work long hours, not so much.

You think all those kids going into debt to get a degree in "media studies" are going to get a high paying job?

At the moment, nursing is about the only degree requiring job with prospects of a decent return I can think of, and few want to do it because it's such a <deleted> job.

Best jobs are non degree occupations like welders, mechanics, plumbers, electricians and builders. Getting a qualification in them at the moment is the ticket to the big money.

Was that a deliberate misinterpretation. The Eddie Shah saga highlighted the anti technology brigade in the UK.

When I said jobs were created elsewhere I meant high tech development in other countries.

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

Are you incapable of using the machines yourself ?

Why waste the time when experience will do it that much quicker and I like to make them feel useful.

BTW I used to be an IT consultant and retired in 2009 when I got fed up continually having to learn something new. Now its on a needs must basis and supermarkets and airline check ins certainly do not fall into that category.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:20 PM, duanebigsby said:

My point is the jobs are shifting not being lost. If you replace a parking attendant with a machine someone is hiring a worker to make parking lot machines. There will always be workers in a McD's making sure the machines are running. Not many people going to McDs give a rat's ass about health. They want deep fried french fries.

LOL, I hate those rat tail things they serve in McDs. I'll buy a burger there and the chips from KFC.

Re oven fried, if there was a choice I'd always buy them in preference to heart killing grease.

BTW you might want to cautious in using "always". Nothing is for ever.

1 hour ago, sangtip2 said:

And you still can not pump your own diesel /gasoline

Thats because it requires a level of honesty,

Some would drive in on false plates ( if they are smart, unlikely )

fill up and bugger off with out paying.

Edited by stanleycoin

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:05 PM, duanebigsby said:

Am I fear mongering? Fancy working in a big warehouse sticking stuff in a box for minimum wage, which is what "online" jobs are?

THE stuttering High Street is set to lose a staggering one million frontline jobs in the next five years – as Brit shoppers move further online.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/682468/british-high-street-jobs-loss-retail-kpmg-analyst-morrisons-m-s-debenhams-homebase-tesco

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Am I fear mongering? Fancy working in a big warehouse sticking stuff in a box for minimum wage, which is what "online" jobs are?

THE stuttering High Street is set to lose a staggering one million frontline jobs in the next five years – as Brit shoppers move further online.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/682468/british-high-street-jobs-loss-retail-kpmg-analyst-morrisons-m-s-debenhams-homebase-tesco

I was reacting to your "robots will replace everybody" scenario. Robots need to be manufactured, programmed, and operated, creating a whole new job sector. Online jobs aren't people in  warehouses stuffing boxes, they're programmers, software designers, social media managers, etc. The whole thread has been about minimum wage jobs being lost and people stuffing boxes for minimum wage will always be there.

On 24/02/2018 at 11:02 AM, newnative said:

We saw a lot of these in Japan--and not just at fast food restaurants.  You select your order and pay--sometimes before you even enter the restaurant--and then a food runner brings your food to your table when it's done.

We have the technology...

How long before you can book a table, arrive at the restaurant and your phone app tells you where to sit, brings up the menu on your phone,  order on your phone, pay on your phone, even call a waiter if you have a problem ...& even get the obligatory "everything OK with your meal, sir."  by text. 

& your meal delivered by a drone, but your still expected to tip.:sad:

Edited by Basil B

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:23 PM, duanebigsby said:

I was reacting to your "robots will replace everybody" scenario. Robots need to be manufactured, programmed, and operated, creating a whole new job sector. Online jobs aren't people in  warehouses stuffing boxes, they're programmers, software designers, social media managers, etc. The whole thread has been about minimum wage jobs being lost and people stuffing boxes for minimum wage will always be there.

What do you not understand about "AI will eliminate human programmers, software designers, factory workers etc etc etc?"

It's a different world coming that will change the world far more profoundly than the industrial revolution.

The ones stuffing boxes will be the lucky ones.

What do you not understand about "AI will eliminate human programmers, software designers, factory workers etc etc etc?"

It's a different world coming that will change the world far more profoundly than the industrial revolution.

Fact is if AI and automation could be controlled and taxed so that everybody will benefit (including the third world) then everybody could benefit with working less and having a better quality of life.

17 hours ago, Basil B said:

Fact is if AI and automation could be controlled and taxed so that everybody will benefit (including the third world) then everybody could benefit with working less and having a better quality of life.

Exactly, but no one is discussing anything, so it's just going to happen slowly with more and more unemployment or underemployment.

On 3/2/2018 at 4:55 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Yeah that's the scary scenario, AI will replace the programmers.. Stephen Hawking is warning about that very situation. I hope it doesn't happen and I think not for a long time, and I don;t think it will be reality, but the idea is indeed scary and I admit the possibility.

13 hours ago, duanebigsby said:

Yeah that's the scary scenario, AI will replace the programmers.. Stephen Hawking is warning about that very situation. I hope it doesn't happen and I think not for a long time, and I don;t think it will be reality, but the idea is indeed scary and I admit the possibility.

Yes, a few respected people have been saying similar, but no one that can actually do something is taking any notice.

It's not so much that AI will replace the programmers, in a Terminator sort of way, but programming will become unnecessary as a human will tell the AI what it wants the computer/ robot to do and the AI will make it happen instantaneously.

Eg. If I want a table in a particular design, I draw it on a piece of paper, show it to the AI that produces a proper picture in seconds, I approve it and the AI orders it from the 3D printer factory, where it is manufactured. Then it is delivered to my front door by an unmanned delivery vehicle, and payment is automatically made. No human will be involved in the manufacture and delivery of my table.

Yes, a few respected people have been saying similar, but no one that can actually do something is taking any notice.

It's not so much that AI will replace the programmers, in a Terminator sort of way, but programming will become unnecessary as a human will tell the AI what it wants the computer/ robot to do and the AI will make it happen instantaneously.

I do some programming and the field is actually head in the other direction. Think of it like law, everyone knows the words but at the edge of human knowledge there is still quite a bit of complexity. Programmers will still be needed to develop the things that can not be easily articulated without heavy human/machine understanding ("Give me a cream soda" vs "design this robot to shoot the bad guy, not the hostage")

Edited by Hal65

On 3/2/2018 at 3:54 PM, Basil B said:

We have the technology...

How long before you can book a table, arrive at the restaurant and your phone app tells you where to sit, brings up the menu on your phone,  order on your phone, pay on your phone, even call a waiter if you have a problem ...& even get the obligatory "everything OK with your meal, sir."  by text. 

& your meal delivered by a drone, but your still expected to tip.:sad:

You should watch the latest X Files episode. It exactly describes this scenario, including the tipping!

5 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

I do some programming and the field is actually head in the other direction. Think of it like law, everyone knows the words but at the edge of human knowledge there is still quite a bit of complexity. Programmers will still be needed to develop the things that can not be easily articulated without heavy human/machine understanding ("Give me a cream soda" vs "design this robot to shoot the bad guy, not the hostage")

I hope we never get to the stage of machines deciding about killing humans, but those humans programming machines to "give me a cream soda" should be worried.

We'll know we've arrived at that point when we can have a joke with our android companions. Humour is the hardest thing for an AI to master, as it's not logical.

• Like 1