Suan Lum Night Bazaar Bangkok

Arandora

Suan Lum Night Bazaar Bangkok was scheduled to close this April. Does anyone know the latest position?

The last I heard was as follows:

The property was leased from the Crown Property Bureau by P Con Development until March 31, 2006. Tenants have been given until April 2007 to vacate the premises. Plans are to develop the property into office buildings, retail areas, residential and entertainment complexes (I also heard that the CP group won the right to develop the area).....

I have a feeling that the tenants might resist eviction to some extent...

here's a site to the night plaza...

http://www.suanlum-nightbazaar.com/EN/index.php

Suan Lum Night Bazaar Bangkok was scheduled to close this April. Does anyone know the latest position?

The last I heard was as follows:

The property was leased from the Crown Property Bureau by P Con Development until March 31, 2006. Tenants have been given until April 2007 to vacate the premises. Plans are to develop the property into office buildings, retail areas, residential and entertainment complexes (I also heard that the CP group won the right to develop the area).....

I have a feeling that the tenants might resist eviction to some extent...

here's a site to the night plaza...

http://www.suanlum-nightbazaar.com/EN/index.php

Thanks for the useful (unlike some others) replies. I just hope it is still operating fully when we are in Bangkok in April.

Having discussed with our Thai friends who reside in the area, apparently the new location for the night bazaar is near the current Chatuchak market. While the current Chatuchak market is only open on the weekends, the plan is for the new additions to be open daily (or nightly).

Hopefully the new location will allow the market to be a bit more down to earth and not too touristy!

i knew a woman who lived in the suan lum apartments and they were talking about evicting them back in 2004 for new development. i thought it had all blown over, as havnt heard anything for a while. its a shame it will close down,as its a great affordable night out. couldnt care less about the market ,that was always an overpriced tourist trap.

actually I always thought the market was a nice cool alternative to Chatachuk. Sure it has the fisherman pants and thai boxing shorts, but there are also some great funky individualised t-shirts and accessories: belts, bags, etc.

on the other hand, I do agree that the biggest shame will be when the beer garden closes.

So many informative topics on the forum that I almost missed this one. It was sad for me to hear that Suan Lum is closing. The beer garden, food stalls, and entertainment on stage were always good for an inexpensive night on the town. It was always on my list of places to go when showing friends around that were visiting Bangkok for the first time. Sadly I guess that this coincides nicely with new going upscale movement in Thailand.

I will also be saddened by the loss of the Night Bazaar even though I have only been there once.

The reason? Because since the Night Bazaar has in operation it seems to have sucked a lot of tourists and sellers out of the Silom Road/Pat Pong area, making it easier to walk this area at night. Now it will be back to pushing your way through the crowds in the stinky, steamy heat!

We'll probably wake up one morning and read in the Bangkok Post something like "100 men armed with knives raided and destroyed all the shops in Lumpini Night Bazaar". either that or "Fire guts Lumpini Night Bazaar".

Let's see what happens.

We'll probably wake up one morning and read in the Bangkok Post something like "100 men armed with knives raided and destroyed all the shops in Lumpini Night Bazaar". either that or "Fire guts Lumpini Night Bazaar".

Let's see what happens.

If that does happen does it mean they will turn the area into a nice green park with soft soothing music playing?

• 1 month later...

I live right across the street from the night bazaar and would hate to see the place go, great to pick up some food in the evening or take visitors for some beers in the beergarden.

There are signs standing around informing the owners that they have to leave before March 31st now. I'm truly sad :o Besides the fact that the place is going to be a dump for the coming years if they start building new stuff I wonder who needs yet another shopping mall. Why are they killing of their own tourist attractions, if I want shopping with the subway I will go to Singapore.

One spark of hope: My Thai friend who knows a shop owner there told me that apparently the rents had been collected until November and shop owners still think they can stay.

I'm sad to see it go too. I feel for those shop owners, but it might be better for Thailand as a whole when the place gets redeveloped. The plans by Central group are huge. They want to make a new landmark in Thailand and build the new Thailand's tallest skyscraper. We'll see how it goes.