driving family car while on holiday

malct

My Thai wife who has just last april passed her UK Driving test in the UK is wanting to drive the family in Thailand when we go on holiday, She has bought a Driving Licence permit to drive in Thailand from a UK Post office and she is hoping just to jump in the family car/pick up and drive it, , I have told her that she needs to make sure that the car is insured before driving the car, Can anyone tell me if she needs to inform the families car insurance company before driving the car.

With a lot of people who knows best ;-) I am thinking that my wife expects just to jump in the car and drive it without asking the questions. Any advice would be great. 

• Like 1

In general:

she should check that the car is properly taxed and mandatory insurance paid as seen from the sticker on the windshield.

This might be a matter of course in the UK but many take it easy in Thailand.

If this is OK she can jump in the car and drive legally.

If not: don't touch it.

BUT:

be aware that the mandatory insurance 3rd party coverage is quite a laughter.

Ask the family whether they have a complementary insurance (not sure what the correct English term is).

In Thailand these insurance policies are categorized by numbers (1, 2, 2+, 3...).

Coverage still not huge but reasonable like 1 million Baht.

Whether or not she wants to drive the car without such an insurance: up to her (or you) :smile:

I have never seen that insurances refer to specific drivers.

There are no discounts for accident free drivers.

It's always the car that is insured.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

Thank your reply KhunBENQ 

So basically, In Thailand, the owner must insure the car and that allows anyone to drive it unlike the UK where you need to inform the insurance company of any person who is going to drive the car. I do know that the car is taxed, But i was unsure about the terms of Thai Car insurance.

• Like 2

For class 1 and 2 insurance a policy with a named driver gives a premium discount. So do check, it is very well possible this is the case, albeit the standard is as indicated, the insurance is on the car and for everyone who drives.

On 25.2.2018 at 7:22 AM, stevenl said:

For a holiday? Over the top.

Not her last visit maybe and the opportunity to get a 5yr license in the end. Cheap and easy for Thai people.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

I have two named drivers that are covered to drive my ride using first class insurance regarding claims..

OP, if the car is taxed it will have the gov basic insurance which is near useless...If the ride the Mrs wants to drive and be "safe" from being "robbed" she should ensure it has first class any driver insurance...

She will not have a prob with the BiB if the ride has the gov insurance for 90 days, only if a payout is involved..:sad:

A valid tax sticker is not a 100% guarantee that a vehicle has insurance. My insurance lapses two months before the sticker expiry date. If I fail to renew the insurance on time I can have a valid tax sticker with no insurance for two months.

1 minute ago, alanrchase said:

A valid tax sticker is not a 100% guarantee that a vehicle has insurance. My insurance lapses two months before the sticker expiry date. If I fail to renew the insurance on time I can have a valid tax sticker with no insurance for two months.

WOW..........:intheclub:

29 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

"A valid tax sticker is not a 100% guarantee that a vehicle has insurance."

I disagree with this sentence.

You won't get a sticker without having paid tax AND compulsory insurance.

It's not a "tax only" sticker.

I guess you want to say that your additional insurance runs out before the date on the sticker.

That is very well possible, as both insurances are independent of each other. In my case too.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

I guess you want to say that your additional insurance runs out before the date on the sticker.
That is very well possible, as both insurances are independent of each other. In my case too.

When I bought the vehicle the compulsory insurance started that day. It took the dealer 2 months to register and tax the vehicle so there is a 2 month gap between the insurance running out and the tax expiring.

Mandatory insurance is for 3rd party injury only, and is all that is required to obtain the annual vehicle tax, and once obtained, then any driver with a valid license can legally drive that vehicle. The amount that can be claimed by any 3rd party injury may appear quite low compared to UK standards, but the insurance premium is also very low.

So called "1st Class" insurance is not mandatory, and equates to comprehensive insurance as it is known in the UK. This insurance may be for any driver, or for specific named drivers (it will be stated on the certificate), with corresponding rates charged for the policy, and may be used by either party to claim for repairs from damage to either vehicle in case of accidents depending on attributed fault. This is very useful in Thailand since there are many drivers who have either no insurance, or 3rd party injury only insurance, so even if an accident is a 3rd Party's fault, you may need to claim from your own 1st Class insurance for damager to yourself or your vehicle. There is usually a limit set by your policy on the amount that can be claimed per year, above which a higher rate for next year's premium will be triggered.

At the scene of any accident you simply call the insurance company who will send an accident surveyor on a motorbike to assess the scenario, and arrange the required documents and any claims.

The documents for the 3rd Party and 1st Class policies are usually separate, as they are separate policies.

2 hours ago, alanrchase said:

I assume by sticker you mean the vehicle tax sticker. You should also have a sticker from the insurance company with the correct insurance period dates stated. Usually the reason for this date difference is that when the vehicle is new it has a "RED" number plate attached (like a trade plate that belongs to the dealer), but the buyer needs to purchase insurance when taking delivery. Later on, once a normal "WHITE" number plate is issued (typically after a few weeks), then the red plate is replaced, and the new number plate and associated vehicle tax for 1 year commences. Thus the tax will expire after the corresponding period from when the insurance policy expires. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

you could have the compulsory government insurance out of sync with the tax.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 4:34 PM, alanrchase said:

When I bought the vehicle the compulsory insurance started that day. It took the dealer 2 months to register and tax the vehicle so there is a 2 month gap between the insurance running out and the tax expiring.

Yup. Agreed. Same. same with my motorcycle.

Thanks for the recent posts, my wife had planned on getting a Thai driving licence last year and it maybe cost effective, it cost my wife £17 for a international driving permit which includes the photo that she had taken. The family has a pickup that they use for the shop and that's what she is wanting to drive. I guess up in issan it's harder to get around, but I have no intention of driving in Thailand, it's just one other thing that could go wrong