Red Cross says 23 staff left over sexual misconduct since 2015

rooster59

1 minute ago, farcanell said:

What chew talkin bout?

Paragraph one

21 people dismissed or resigned during or after investigation... One can only assume this means case proven (or about to be)

2 only contracts not renewed due to suspicion

paragraph two

if there was a disaster in un zud, then its a disaster zone... aid organizations are very clear about the conduct of its personnel in a disaster zone... this is a conduct issue (involving sex)

no no matter where the disaster/ emergency is, sexual exploitation is recognized as a real issue, and this is the driver behind Red Cross resolutions (32 I think), which, for its employees, removes any grey areas

paragraph three

military people on RnR are not Red Cross representatives, nor are they bound by Red Cross employee guidelines (rules)... their conduct is a matter for their command structure (and their own morales)

paragraph four

the policy is known, and as such, every person engaged by the Red Cross, is bound by this... if they don’t like it, they need not agree to it... in which case, they don’t get the job

regards what you would say to management... well... you wouldn’t have the option, because you wouldn’t be given the job, as you obviously disagree with what the Red Cross holds dear.

paragraph five

oh... you stopped... ?????

I deleted the bits about the Red Cross in the post you quoted before I removed them because I hadn't read the OP about Red Cross banning paying for it in countries where it is legal.

Obviously I would never work for a company that sought to tell me what I could not do in my own time. What I do in my time is none of their business. I will never donate to them either if that is how they behave.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'd expect then, that the Red Cross employees are mainly management and supervisors, rather than rough men.

I'd be interested if it was management that got the boot, or if they were forcing contract companies to sack contractor staff.

Management ... senior management... as in country/ area head, have been fired as well.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I deleted the bits about the Red Cross in the post you quoted before I removed them because I hadn't read the OP about Red Cross banning paying for it in countries where it is legal.

Obviously I would never work for a company that sought to tell me what I could not do in my own time. What I do in my time is none of their business. I will never donate to them either if that is how they behave.

There you go... 100% correct... the folks being fired should have had this very same outlook, then there would be no issue.

25 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Just where do you think all those caring, sharing, giving, compassionate, moral and responsible aid workers prepared to risk their lives to work in disaster areas are?

Saints are in short supply in this world.

Real men work in disaster areas; wowsers hide in offices because they can't actually save anyone due to being weak and useless.

Lol.... harsh and untrue

21 people, over two years, out of 17000 is a very low ratio... actually... despite the outrage in the press, I think it’s a damn good ratio.

this vocal outrage will undoubtedly improve that ratio, but only an idiot would ever believe it will be stamped out completely.... but the public must be sated 

17 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

From the article:

[The ICRC, which has more than 17,000 staff worldwide, bans its staff from paying for sexual services even in countries where prostitution is legal, it said.]

So if that's "company policy," those who got sacked shouldn't be surprised.  And while those living in Thailand (Pattaya in particular) may be shocked that this rule even exist, I'm pretty sure that prostitution is illegal in your home countries....so it shouldn't be all that earth-shattering.

What on earth are you blathering on about? Prostitution is legal in Australia and New Zealand, Britain- legal, Denmark- legal, Portugal- legal, Singapore- legal, India- legal, Spain- legal, US- legal in some places, Turkey- legal, Central and Sth America- legal in many countries, Finland- legal.

Many others as well, but not going to research every country in the world.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What on earth are you blathering on about. Prostitution is legal in Australia and New Zealand, Singapore- legal, India- legal, Spain- legal, US- legal in some places, Turkey- legal, Central and Sth America- legal in many countries, Finland- legal.

Many others as well, but not going to research every country in the world.

Calm down dude.  I only know US laws and it's illegal in most of the USA.  But you missed the most important part of my post which states that "(the ICRC) bans its staff from paying for sexual services even in countries where prostitution is legal...."  So what on earth are you blathering about?

Edited by Berkshire

1 minute ago, Berkshire said:

Calm down dude.  I only know US laws and it's illegal in most of the USA.  But you missed the most important part of my post which states that "(the ICRC) bans its staff from paying for sexual services even in countries where prostitution is legal...."  So what on earth are you blathering about?

I already said about 3 posts back about missing the bit about the Red Cross wowser management dictating personal behaviour, but that's nothing to do with

I'm pretty sure that prostitution is illegal in your home countries.

which applies to every poster on TVF, not just US ones.

On 2/25/2018 at 7:22 AM, rooster59 said:

British charity Oxfam's country director in Haiti admitted to using prostitutes at his residence during a relief mission.

Well, I believe that's a different kind of "relief mission" from the kind the guy ostensibly was in the country to accomplish... But then again, maybe not....

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I already said about 3 posts back about missing the bit about the Red Cross wowser management dictating personal behaviour, but that's nothing to do with

I'm pretty sure that prostitution is illegal in your home countries.

which applies to every poster on TVF, not just US ones.

Actually, I have no idea either regarding prostitution laws around the world but assumed it to be mostly illegal.  According to this link, I'd be correct....although it list Thailand (and the PI, Cambodia, etc.) as being illegal.  It seems there are very few places where prostitution is legal and regulated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_by_country#/media/File:Prostitution_laws_of_the_world.PNG

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

I would still like to be convinced that any of these organisations expressly, explicity, and unambiguously ban paying for sexual services in their contracts of employment. Somehow I suspect the wording is much more vague and mentions something like not doing anything that 'brings the organisation into disrepute' which is open to varying moral and practical interpretations according to the zeitgeist of the times, which has been changing rapidly. Has anyone actually seen the wording in the contract?

Edited by CharlesSwann

On 25/02/2018 at 3:44 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Don't expect any politicians to stand up for normative male behaviour, as they have been cowed by PC, IMO.

No doubt, but political correctness has been driven by short-haired feminists. I don't think that is fully and clearly understood yet. The feminists have been pushing their agenda for years because it is to their own advantage as a minority. Having literally come to power (eg. Merkel) the same privilege is awarded to all minorities. The minorities are now suddenly in the ascendent and in a quite staggering and spectacular act of retribution, the general population of ordinary males and females, with their normative quirks and foibles, are now made to feel like the freaks. 

What we need is for ordinary men and women to stand up to this madness and stop all the craven apologies for every little misdemeanour, including laddish banter, and - for goodness sake - visiting prostitutes.

So far only Catherine Deneuve and Brigitte Bardot have spoken out. Apparently French women have more balls than anyone. Why are there no men standing up to the feminists? Not one that I know of.

Edited by CharlesSwann
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, CharlesSwann said:

No doubt, but political correctness has been driven by short-haired feminists. I don't think that is fully and clearly understood yet. The feminists have been pushing their agenda for years because it is to their own advantage as a minority. Having literally come to power (eg. Merkel) the same privilege is awarded to all minorities. The minorities are now suddenly in the ascendent and in a quite staggering and spectacular act of retribution, the general population of ordinary males and females, with their normative quirks and foibles, are now made to feel like the freaks. 

What we need is for ordinary men and women to stand up to this madness and stop all the craven apologies for every little misdemeanour, including laddish banter, and - for goodness sake - visiting prostitutes.

So far only Catherine Deneuve and Brigitte Bardot have spoken out. Apparently French women have more balls than anyone. Why are there no men standing up to the feminists? Not one that I know of.

Actually it's more deep seated than just a few women with man cuts. Due to unrelenting television ads for decades showing men to be bumbling buffoons that can't do anything right, and women as veritable saints that can do 10 impossible things perfectly before breakfast every day, the masses have become brainwashed.

It is currently in vogue for movies portraying women as kick ass heroes that can do better than any mere male in his dreams. 

Of course it's not helped by having wimpy men in government too afraid to go against the female cohorts.

Given the fact that few males go teaching anymore ( for the obvious reasons ) and single mothers apparently bring up a significant proportion of children without a decent male around as a role model, IMO, it's not going to change any time soon, if ever.