Tourist Visas - 30 days or 45 days?

She coukd get a Tourist Visa from the country she’s traveling from that would give her 60 days on arrival.

I assume you are asking about visa exempt entry (not visa on arrival), which would give her 30 days on arrival. That can be extended by 30 days (only) in the country and costs 1,900 baht.

Yes, she will be a normal tourist, but planning on staying 35 days. In the past, I thought Immigration had a 7 day extension, but maybe it is 30 days now! Can she cross the border in Laos and come back after a few days of sightseeing? Or would she be required to go to Thai Consulate for extension? Thanks!

Edited by tomwct
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tomwct said:

Yes, she will be a normal tourist, but planning on staying 35 days. In the past, I thought Immigration had a 7 day extension, but maybe it is 30 days now! Can she cross the border in Laos and come back after a few days of sightseeing? Or would she be required to go to Thai Consulate for extension? Thanks!

• It was increased to 30 days a few years ago.
  • Yes she can go to Laos, and when she returns will get a new 30 day stay.
  • Extension of stay are applied for at immigration offices in Thailand. No need if she does a side trip to Laos.

7 hours ago, tomwct said:

If she doesn't obtain a Tourist Visa from her home Country before travel she will be allowed to enter for 30 days (Visa exempt entry).

The airline may want to see a return ticket within the 30 days.

You can extend the 30 days permission to stay at a local Immigration office by another 30 days (1,900 baht) OR she could exit the Country and re-enter and receive another 30 day Visa exempt entry. 

10 hours ago, elviajero said:

She coukd get a Tourist Visa from the country she’s traveling from that would give her 60 days on arrival.

I assume you are asking about visa exempt entry (not visa on arrival), which would give her 30 days on arrival. That can be extended by 30 days (only) in the country and costs 1,900 baht.

If you decide to go to Laos, bring $36.-  US currency, which is a lot less than the tbt 1500 they will charge you otherwise. I went to Chong Mek yesterday. Left the car in Thailand, walked over to Laos, did the forms and was back in Thailand well within an hour, with another 30 days visa ecempt stamp.  If you bring a pasfoto, I think you safe $1.- in Laos.

2 hours ago, Roelf said:

If you decide to go to Laos, bring $36.-  US currency, which is a lot less than the tbt 1500 they will charge you otherwise. I went to Chong Mek yesterday. Left the car in Thailand, walked over to Laos, did the forms and was back in Thailand well within an hour, with another 30 days visa ecempt stamp.  If you bring a pasfoto, I think you safe $1.- in Laos.

Depends on the nationality, it is $42 for Canadians.

On 27/02/2018 at 3:31 PM, PoorSucker said:
On 27/02/2018 at 2:09 PM, bkkcanuck8 said:

Depends on the nationality, it is $42 for Canadians.

And free for Scandinavians.

What about brits?

i want to go into Laos and return to Thailand but I don’t want to end up with a fistful of the local currency, so any help on what currency to take would be helpful.

Thanks all

19 minutes ago, Janner1 said:

i want to go into Laos and return to Thailand but I don’t want to end up with a fistful of the local currency, so any help on what currency to take would be helpful.

Most places in Laos will accept baht but will give you kip for change.

41 minutes ago, Janner1 said:

What about brits?

Thanks all

You can pay for the Laos visa in baht (1,500).

You can use baht in Laos, but you’ll get a low exchange rate and, usually, the change in Kip.

12 hours ago, Janner1 said:

What about brits?

Thanks all

Pretty sure they took Thai baht (forget exactly how much it was) - it was the only currency I had.  (Savannakhet).