Something strange

worgeordie

Last week I had to install new water pump,ran cable through yellow pipe,

over ceiling,down the wall and along to pump,had the wife hold the cable

while i went to switch on at the box,to make sure alive,did tell her not to touch

the end of wire or she would die, tested end of wire with 3 different electrical

screwdrivers,none lit up,?installed wire at box again,still not live at the end.

So I am thinking dodgy wire, so replaced the wire,tested it first ,when connected

lit up live, ran the wire through pipe again,switched on,not live at end again !,

So the wife using female logic,said  connect see if it works, me male logic,it

cannot work not live. so in the end not really knowing what else to do i connected

the pump up,and it worked,  ... so now the wife thinks she is an electrician.

I need to know why was wire not showing LIVE,it was approx 15 mtrs run,is Thai

electricity different as some Thai electricians say :saai:

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

As Forkinhades said,, don't trust those so called neon screwdrivers.

What probably happened is "you" were earthed at the source and unearthed at the water pump.

To be frank here you were one step away from electrocuting either your wife or yourself.

Yeah. Those neon rely on you being a decent ground. Mine doesn't light if I'm on the wooden steps upstairs. That's why you should never use one to prove dead.

And, deliberately livening an open ended cable ... You're fired!

• Like 1

Or spend about 500 baht for this unit on Ebay (Hyelec MS8231) which only needs operator to turn on for most measurements.  Got one myself several years ago and working very well.  Wish they were available 30 years ago when I had to use Triplett.

image.jpeg.508f97c341d158bddcb520e92b5d82f7.jpeg

I've had the same problem. Back in the real world those neon testers would work whatever you were standing on, but again things here are different.

I find that I need to step off my work shoes (Flip Flops) and place my feet on the ground for the nean light to work. Living life on the edge :whistling:

Edited by Daffy D
Correction

1 hour ago, Daffy D said:

I find that I need to step off my work shoes (Flip Flops) and place my feet on the ground for the nean light to work. Living life on the edge :whistling:

I've never liked the idea of being required to be integrally part of the AC circuit for testing purposes.

5 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Can't comment on what the wife thinks she is, but from reading your post, it is obvious that you don't qualify as an electrician.

Amatur ,part time,same qualifcations as a Thai sparky.

but the pump is working well, IS earthed so maybe better than a Thai :shock1:

regards worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie
add on

3 hours ago, RichCor said:

I've never liked the idea of being required to be integrally part of the AC circuit for testing purposes.

All part of life's rich pattern - Adapting to your enviroment, Darwin would be proud :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

Amatur ,part time,same qualifcations as a Thai sparky.

but the pump is working well, IS earthed so maybe better than a Thai :shock1:

regards worgeordie

Your wife could well be the most qualified electrician in town, the pump works and is earthed and no one died.

As a electrician I have seen some very scary stuff not just in Thailand but also in the UK and Germany. In Thailand I am constantly asked by Thais and farangs "could you have a look at this." It can be hard to tell some one who has just spent 2-3 million on a house build, that it is a death trap.

If you look at a Thai as they plug something into a socket you will see a little bit of terror in them, not knowing if there will be a bang. Westerners no longer worry when they use a electrical appliance, you turn it on and it works. But in Thailand if you do not know 100% your electrical system is safe its best to adopt the Thai way and be a little scared of electricity.

• Like 2