Two American women held in Thailand after allegedly caught with fake US dollars

webfact

Well I don't believe they are totally innocent ...but the whole scheme to fake the entire deal in order to raise money, that would be a serious crime too and it is rather public.  For one thing ...and it involves pissing off everyone they know and it also involves including so many people in the scam, a rather large conspiracy. So for those reasons I find it doubtful.  For other reasons, I have had the unfortunate experience after living here a long time to have been involved with a few people who committed serious crimes and I saw how things worked close up.  Also I have known several sleazy lawyers, a few as friends, and I learned a few things from them.  I use the term friend in a mild way ...also when I say "involved" above ...but strange things happen here!!  I did not live here without learning a few things and I can easily imagine that they may well have done some kind of crime, but I don't think they are connected here and I bet they are being played well. I could be wrong but I think it is more likely to be going the way I think.

Is that what you mean, or do I think they will give extra money back??  I don't know, I don't think they will get very much overall ...

3 minutes ago, amykat said:

Well I don't believe they are totally innocent ...but the whole scheme to fake the entire deal in order to raise money, that would be a serious crime too and it is rather public.  For one thing ...and it involves pissing off everyone they know and it also involves including so many people in the scam, a rather large conspiracy. So for those reasons I find it doubtful.  For other reasons, I have had the unfortunate experience after living here a long time to have been involved with a few people who committed serious crimes and I saw how things worked close up.  Also I have known several sleazy lawyers, a few as friends, and I learned a few things from them.  I use the term friend in a mild way ...also when I say "involved" above ...but strange things happen here!!  I did not live here without learning a few things and I can easily imagine that they may well have done some kind of crime, but I don't think they are connected here and I bet they are being played well. I could be wrong but I think it is more likely to be going the way I think.

Is that what you mean, or do I think they will give extra money back??  I don't know, I don't think they will get very much overall ...

The whole story and giving money back. How are going to give it back? Divide it by 100 and pay everyone?

Only a fool would give money to people like this.

19 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It would be quite a straight forward plan/scheme .

Say that we've been arrested and need funds.

Collect gofundme money from friends back home .

Then say they went to Court and got fined and had to pay a lawyer

All money spent.

End of story .

This is one of the most important lessons I learned during almost 30 years in SEA: Don't immediately believe anything an expat or a tourist tell you. Everything can be a lie; in most cases you can't verify it.
But in one case I was really surprised: Years ago a neighbour from UK told me he had all his money from bank robberies. Of cause I laughed and didn't believe him. One day police drove up, arrested him, and after some days I read in the BP he really did what he told me.

12 minutes ago, rebo said:

This is one of the most important lessons I learned during almost 30 years in SEA: Don't immediately believe anything an expat or a tourist tell you. Everything can be a lie; in most cases you can't verify it.
But in one case I was really surprised: Years ago a neighbour from UK told me he had all his money from bank robberies. Of cause I laughed and didn't believe him. One day police drove up, arrested him, and after some days I read in the BP he really did what he told me.

So where did you hide the stash?

That's funny. I understand what you are saying but this is different.  This is not someone we are meeting here.  What about the Dad who got arrested last week, his news is not in any local paper either and he is raising money too and we don't think that is a scam.   The husband I think is going on a big TV news channel he said soon, tomorrow?  A local Fox station I believe. I don't think they would seek that kind of attention if it was fake. 

3 minutes ago, amykat said:

That's funny. I understand what you are saying but this is different.  This is not someone we are meeting here.  What about the Dad who got arrested last week, his news is not in any local paper either and he is raising money too and we don't think that is a scam.   The husband I think is going on a big TV news channel he said soon, tomorrow?  A local Fox station I believe. I don't think they would seek that kind of attention if it was fake. 

Pls don't misunderstand me: Not all people lie. But everybody can because it's so difficult to verify.
And the story of these two girl has just too many weak points that I believe it as they tell it.

Well was she or not? Do we know?  Is she still doing time?  Having a father as druggie doesn't mean anything one way or another.  Bali is horrible for processing evidence for one thing.

I don't think they are faking that they got arrested in Thailand.  That is my guess, I am not 100% sure, but if I had to bet, I would go that way.

3 minutes ago, rebo said:

Pls don't misunderstand me: Not all people lie. But everybody can because it's so difficult to verify.
And the story of these two girl has just too many weak points that I believe it as they tell it.

Yes, but at some point, this can be verified, this is not like some stories from back home about how great their career was, or how much money they used to have, or how many ladies they used to have, etc.

They have made a big mistake . The guy who started the gofundme fundraising page,  the Husband or Cousin , has stated that they were held in CM Womans prison and gave the location .

Problem being that that prison closed down about three years ago and has been knocked down .

They would have gotton that address had they done websearch, which bought up out of date results , if they would have gotton the Woman prison address from the girls, they would have been given the current address

DSCF1822.JPG

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, amykat said:

Yes, but at some point, this can be verified, this is not like some stories  ...

No, all this, where they got the money from, the cost for the lawyer, how much was in the brown envelopes etc. will never be really verifyable.

Edited by rebo

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

They have made a big mistake . The guy who started the gofundme fundraising page,  the Husband or Cousin , has stated that they were held in CM Womans prison and gave the location .

Problem being that that prison closed down about three years ago and has been knocked down .

They would have gotton that address had they done websearch, which bought up out of date results , if they would have gotton the Woman prison address from the girls, they would have been given the current address

The most important first: You know that you can take a screenshot and don't have to take a photo of your screen? :P

The girl tells the husband back home in the USA: We are in CM Womens prison. Husband enters CM Womens prison on Facebook, Facebook suggests this place, he choses it because he doesn't know if it's there or somewhere else and writes his text. Where was now the big mistake?

• Like 1

Well I would not count that as very important evidence of anything, because when you are in jail here you are pretty cut off from everything.  Somebody probably just told people back home, that they were being sent there, and they looked it up and found old info.  There is no need for them to go there or do anything.  I have been there, and visited a woman in jail when she got first got arrested and before she got sent to the women's jail, the first days in a holding cell in a police station they have nothing ...are in a huge public tank with many people.  They are not going to be getting mail already from the US ...I doubt they knew the address of their jail upon arriving??  You know nothing, even in a US jail you are just shuttled around and in a fog about what is going on and getting processed in and out at first ...they have language barrier here. I think you are digging too deep and looking for things that aren't there.

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The girl tells the husband back home in the USA: We are in CM Womens prison. Husband enters CM Womens prison on Facebook, Facebook suggests this place, he choses it because he doesn't know if it's there or somewhere else and writes his text. Where was now the big mistake?

If the girls were in a jail, I do think that the girls would have given the correct address of where they were being held

Just now, sanemax said:

If the girls were in a jail, I do think that the girls would have given the correct address of where they were being held

The address would be in Thai, even if they gave it to the husband, they would have taken a picture and sent it. What would the husband then do with the address? Switch to Thai keyboard and try to type it by himself, then look it up on bing maps, then share it on Facebook?

I think that he just put the name of the place in the Facebook search and chose the first hit is way more reasonable

• Like 1

Just now, jackdd said:

The address would be in Thai, even if they gave it to the husband, they would have taken a picture and sent it. What would the husband then do with the address? Switch to Thai keyboard and try to type it by himself, then look it up on bing maps, then share it on Facebook?

Heard of Google Translate my friend?

Well yes, that won't be, but you don't get yourself arrested in order to scam some money from the results.  I mean that is not a scam that you plan out in advance.  People are saying that the whole thing is a scam, and they never got arrested. 

2 minutes ago, Emmess said:

Heard of Google Translate my friend?

Translate what? Translating an address doesn't make any sense and just results in a wrong location.

Something interesting:

I messaged the Citrus Heights Police Department regarding the picture of the woman with the guy and the guy they were looking for in the case of counterfeit money and they even replied quite quickly. They didn't tell much, but they told me that the guy on the picture is not related with the woman (so he is not her father). It actually surprised me that they tell me this. I would have expected a simple "Thank you, we will have a look at it" and that's it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, amykat said:

You know nothing, even in a US jail you are just shuttled around and in a fog about what is going on and getting processed in and out at first ...they have language barrier here. I think you are digging too deep and looking for things for things that aren't there.

I know nothing ?

Having been through Chiang Mais judiciary process, arrested, held until my Court case, I do know rather more than you sweetie .

I do know that the Court either sentences you, releases you or gives you bail, they do not send you to jail and then give you bail (from jail)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, sanemax said:

I know nothing ?

Having been through Chiang Mais judiciary process, arrested, held until my Court case, I do know rather more than you sweetie .

I do know that the Court either sentences you, releases you or gives you bail, they do not send you to jail and then give you bail (from jail)

I was not talking you!!  That was a general YOU, as in the person who is in jail ...doesn't know what is going on at the time.  They don't give you a card with the address of the jail  and a phone for you to call your friends with when you first arrive do they???

2 minutes ago, amykat said:

Well yes, that won't be, but you don't get yourself arrested in order to scam some money from the results.  I mean that is not a scam that you plan out in advance.  People are saying that the whole thing is a scam, and they never got arrested. 

Why have the local media not reported it ?

Theres nothing the Thai media and Police like better than have foreigners on show .

Do not even suggest that the Police are trying to cover this up in order to receive bribes , because once an offense has been logged, they cannot "unlog" it, Once you have been to Court, the Police cannot unlog the crime, because its already out of their hands .

The only time that you may get away with handing over a brown envelope is before the case goes to Court

• Thanks 1

I'm quite open-minded about most things.......but something seems off on this story! And the gofundme thing.....

Just curious, how are some of you seeing these FB posts? I read that the accounts have been deactivated and when I put the names in I got nothing.

Edited by elektrified

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Why have the local media not reported it ?

Theres nothing the Thai media and Police like better than have foreigners on show .

Do not even suggest that the Police are trying to cover this up in order to receive bribes , because once an offense has been logged, they cannot "unlog" it, Once you have been to Court, the Police cannot unlog the crime, because its already out of their hands .

The only time that you may get away with handing over a brown envelope is before the case goes to Court

I don't want to say things that I can get in trouble for. But there are things that go on here, well past that. I don't know why the media hasn't reported it, maybe they are busy?  Or maybe not.  However, I know for a fact, in a detailed way and so do many others, that things go on, well beyond what you are speaking of. 

(Sorry, I re-read my post, and it did sound like I might have been speaking to you with my comment, but I was not. )