Two American women held in Thailand after allegedly caught with fake US dollars

webfact

31 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Interesting stuff one finds on the internet.... we here, who can find no news on Thai media, are unable to make reports to gofundme, when suspecting scams....,velly interesting 

Maybe they can’t afford the extra staff it would take to substantiate the truth of the matter... so.... open wide... come inside ?????

There has already been an attempt to discredit the gofundme and it failed. This is not a scam and perhaps why you can no longer report it. 

And I have to say what a wonderful community we have to come out of pocket to help the women who don't have enough funds to pay for lawyer fees purely from good hearts. I feel blessed to be a part of our community. 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Makara said:

I wonder how many will apologize once you all find out it's not a scam and the women are truly facing charges.

Even if they are facing charges it is because they tried to exchange forged notes, so not the lovely little innocents that gofundme is making out, they are criminals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

Even if they are facing charges it is because they tried to exchange forged notes, so not the lovely little innocents that gofundme is making out, they are criminals.

You act like they killed someone. I get people are NOT OK WITH THIS. I completely understand why. I am not ok with it either. Doesn't justify all this talk of scam...its a scam, scam, scam, scam. That is the point here...again I will say it is not a scam. Peoples lives have changed. I know one of them, have spent time with her...she is not what you guys are painting her out to be. Did she <deleted> up? Oh yes she did. There was no bodily harm done, nor murder, nor assault and for sure don't deserve upward of 15 years in a Thai prison. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, farcanell said:

But but Amy Kat... really?

until somewhere around page 40 of this thread, when makara said she was a woman..... everyone appeared to assume That she was a he

so..... absolutely nothing to do with disliking women.... but simply disliking people who are trying to defraud other trusting folk... protect the trusting folk amykat

and yes... lmao... something strange is going on

Perhaps she was referring to western women, as in the women in question. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Makara said:

There was no bodily harm done, nor murder, nor assault and for sure don't deserve upward of 15 years in a Thai prison. 

I've read now multiple times that they don't deserve 15 years in prison because they didn't do something too bad. (By you and by other posters on Facebook)

I got curious, so looked it up on Google: Maximum fine for using counterfeit money in the USA is 20 years prison, so the 15 years maximum by Thai law are even lower than that.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Makara said:

... don't deserve upward of 15 years in a Thai prison. 

Forget these 15 years, Makara. I'm sure they will not even be jailed but will get a fine of some thousand THB and may be declared as unwanted person for some years.

Edited by rebo
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, rebo said:

Forget these 15 years, Makara. I'm sure they will not even be jailed but will get a fine of some thousand THB and may be declared as unwanted person for some years.

and come out of it somewhat richer, or will they repay the gofundme idiots, no. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

and come out of it somewhat richer, or will they repay the gofundme idiots, no. 

Maybe - but they will probably not being able to avoid a significant donation to their local ecclesiastic community. As Jesus said: One hand may wash the other ...

Edited by rebo

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

If people are out of arguments and don't know how to help them self they like to claim that the other party is just against them because of gender, skin color, sexual orientation or whatever else makes them different from each other.

• Confused 1

When interrogating the women, here's a tactic that Thai cops probably don't know:

As soon as the suspects are caught, separate them.

interrogate them separately, in detail.

See how their stories match, or don't match.

In the same vein, incarcerate them separately during those initial days.

Thai cops won't know to do that - similar to how they couldn't solve cases involving farang:

deaths, killings, poisonings, etc.  I could write a long list of some of the cases Thai cops flubbed, but I've got better things to do - this beautiful morning.

34 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I've read now multiple times that they don't deserve 15 years in prison because they didn't do something too bad. (By you and by other posters on Facebook)

I got curious, so looked it up on Google: Maximum fine for using counterfeit money in the USA is 20 years prison, so the 15 years maximum by Thai law are even lower than that.

I see. Is that for producing or finding and trying to turn in?

Just now, Justfine said:

Won't know? That tactic is 100 years old. You have watched too many tv shows.

You're making my point. Police around the world have known this tactic, but Thai cops, judging by how they've conducted investigations in the past, ....don't seem to know. 

8 minutes ago, Makara said:

I see. Is that for producing or finding and trying to turn in?

As i said "using", so paying with it or trying to exchange it. The maximum fine does of course only apply if you knew that it is counterfeit money, if the judge or jury believe you that you didn't know it it's lower. If you have 10 bills (of probably poorly made counterfeit money) for several days, of a currency that you used all your life, and which all have printed the word "copy" on it, a judge might not believe you if you say you didn't know that it's counterfeit money.

Edited by jackdd

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, it's obvious that the young girls, if what i'm reading is true, committed a crime, were they doing it willingly or not , that's anybody's guess.

But, what's wrong from their friends about trying to collect some cash to get a decent lawyer, and hopefully a fair trial ?

Everybody is free to donate or not, and on TVF we are free to discuss the news.

What i don't understand, folks, is the somewhat irrational hatred for your own people.

If it was your daughter who's done a mistake, would you try to help her out of troubles or not ?

Personally, i very much dislike the foreigners who come to Thailand and behave badly, but, obviously, when many foreigners come to Thailand, for retirement or holidays, you will get all kinds of people.

Sometimes there will be good people doing silly mistakes.

I would not class the crime in question among the worst, so, hopefully the young girls will learn a lesson, and that's it.

Advocating long prison terms for such a crime it's unreasonable imo.

Of course you didn't read all the pages (neither would i if i just opened the thread for the first time)

Currently the discussion is mostly about if this story is real at all or if it's a scam to just get money from unknowing people who try to help.

Because the only source for this whole story is what is written on their Facebook and Gofundme (that's the source for this Thaivisa article and every other article you find online). No local news, no pictures, nothing from police or what so ever

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smx1313 said:

just looking at the new york one as an example, i can find out if someone is currently in prison or perhaps on parole, but no criminal history.

Ok, I took some time to check this out and you are correct. The only exception is if the person is a registered sex offender.

I believe that in Connecticut the law varies, but now I'm not sure and I don't have time to check. Thank you for taking the time research this. I acknowledge that my statements were wrong.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Of course you didn't read all the pages (neither would i if i just opened the thread for the first time)

Currently the discussion is mostly about if this story is real at all or if it's a scam to just get money from unknowing people who try to help.

Because the only source for this whole story is what is written on their Facebook and Gofundme (that's the source for this Thaivisa article and every other article you find online). No local news, no pictures, nothing from police or what so ever

Right, i get it, and i'm having my doubts, but, it seems likely to me that it's not a scam.

There would be a whole community "losing face" if it was a scam.

I don't know what to think about those " gofundme " things, but, in such cases,  it's just normal for a community of friends and relatives to try to help each other.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Makara said:

You act like they killed someone. I get people are NOT OK WITH THIS. I completely understand why. I am not ok with it either. Doesn't justify all this talk of scam...its a scam, scam, scam, scam. That is the point here...again I will say it is not a scam. 

Well, to be fair people are not going to be rushing donating money to someone who tried to pass counterfeit notes as real.

There are people in this country facing poverty and quite frankly dying of hunger, so expect a lot of scepticism here regarding 2 privileged Western ladies. 50k is not a lot of money. My poor Serbian family could come up with that if they pulled together without resorting to humiliation and pity of begging online. At the very last resort, loans are available.

Go public asking for money and expect public scrutiny and ridicule

And yeah.....I'm not giving a single baht and certainly won't feel bad even though it isn't a "scam". 

Good luck anyway.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I put some effort in trying to discover the truth about this story.

In short: NO SCAM

In longer:

I made my GF call the police to be sure i don't understand something wrong.

Everybody can stop saying it's a scam, if you don't believe my word and want to confirm it by yourself: Call the Tourist Police in Chiang Mai, they will confirm it.

The two girls were arrested when they tried to exchange the money which was counterfeit.

I have a phone number of a person who can maybe provide more details on this case, but nobody is answering this phone yet, if i should get more infos from there later i will of course share them with you.

Thank you for putting out the effort. I came on here to stop the speculation that it is just a scam to produce money for some ungodly reasons that many here were trying to say. So much misinformation, misinterpretation and wild imaginations as to why this was a scam. 

• Like 1