Arsenal

MiG16

Good to see the lads hit the ground running. Sanogo is an ungainly player but he seems to have a knack for finding the right place to be. Scored four and could have had another three.

Chambers looks very compact and efficient, good positioning and great use of the ball.

Bellerin was outstanding going forward.

Ramsey was his usual self, commanding all over. I hope we get a season out of him this time, he really is a complete player.

Not long enough to see Sanchez, but he looks the part, and Wilshere was back to type.

This wasn't a Benfica side looking for a stroll, they had the measure of Arsenal in the first quarter, and you can see why they won the Portugese treble last year. But one Arsenal had settled down it was pretty well one way traffic.

Monaco should be a tough proposition as well. This tournament is a good workout against some class opposition.

So will Arsenal loan Sanogo or keep him ? Nice toe poke for a goal, still with a horrible first touch much of the time, and what did I miss about the goal where he was about three yards offside ? Anyway, a nice problem to have.

I didn't even recognize Ramsey at first. New doo and a bit of a beard. Bellerin showed some talent.

Good to see the lads hit the ground running. Sanogo is an ungainly player but he seems to have a knack for finding the right place to be. Scored four and could have had another three.

Chambers looks very compact and efficient, good positioning and great use of the ball.

Bellerin was outstanding going forward.

Ramsey was his usual self, commanding all over. I hope we get a season out of him this time, he really is a complete player.

Not long enough to see Sanchez, but he looks the part, and Wilshere was back to type.

This wasn't a Benfica side looking for a stroll, they had the measure of Arsenal in the first quarter, and you can see why they won the Portugese treble last year. But one Arsenal had settled down it was pretty well one way traffic.

Monaco should be a tough proposition as well. This tournament is a good workout against some class opposition.

So will Arsenal loan Sanogo or keep him ? Nice toe poke for a goal, still with a horrible first touch much of the time, and what did I miss about the goal where he was about three yards offside ? Anyway, a nice problem to have.

I didn't even recognize Ramsey at first. New doo and a bit of a beard. Bellerin showed some talent.

No I think "Wake me up before" Sanogo and Joel Campbell will get a season.

Arsenal playing in Emirates Cup is being shown on TS HD2 (presumably TSP 2 also if that still exists) at 5:00pm Thai time today. Presumably a replay of yesterday's match (I was outwith friends til late).

Sorry if Chicog has posted something similar - don't want to look at the Arsenal postings so I don't see any results (not that results mean much - just a chance to see how the team is shaping up).

Yes I posted the timings a while back.

Did you miss the Benfica mauling then?

Don't miss tonight - Falcao made a brief appearance yesterday, and I'm expecting he'll get longer today.

Good to see the Ox back and rampaging at pace.

We haven't won it since 2010. Would have won it but unfortunately Premiership referees continue to be complete crap.

But that was a good workout. Aside from falling asleep at a free kick needlessly given away by another stupid Wilshere challenge, it probably would have been a draw.

Monaco were good, enormous workrate and never let Arsenal settle for the whole game.

But Wenger had put out a completely different side to the one that dominated Benfica for an hour, and it showed.

Given that the three German musketeers won't be back for another week, I wonder who Wenger is going to stick in at CB instead of BFG?

Saw the Benfica match on replay yesterday afternoon Chic, other than 30 minutes that the blasted squaddies-who-run-things doing their PR robbed - not spreading happiness for me! Agree with your anlaysis. Like the comment about Wilshere - yes mix of flashes of attacking genius and doh! moments in the tackle. Will be surprised if he lasts the season as an Arsenal starter for the Prem games.

Saw the disjointed Monaco game last night. They were very organised, our cobled together try-out side was not!

Overall - good practice but would have been more worthwhile with Mertesacker and Ozil in the mix. There is hope that Sanogo is going to prove me wrong, but I'm still wholly unconvinced by Joel Campbell. Should have been sold in this short window of post-WC euphoria: anyone who had a couple of reasonable games seems to be worth 10 million, just cos some tele-pundit had OTT-gob moments. Wenger said yesterday he is staying. No more front-line strikers then.

We only have one front-line proven centre forward. Huge huge mistake. Sanchez is an attacking midfielder and too small for the front-man role. Arsene is continuing to gamble on the unproven coming through. That is the strategy of a manager who is content to get into the top 4.

Very encouraged by the available youth though. Some good loan outs and regular places in domestic cup competitions should see at least a couple come through to the front line by next season start. Wow Bellerin - does he always look that good? If he can be found a starting place on loan to a Prem outfit that would be. Miquel looked useful at the back and he won two contested headers in four corners. Dunno why Arsene perseveres with Coquelin - always seems to disappear. Ditto Monreal - his skill levels are just not up to snuff. Very impressed with Chambers ability to handle the CB role as well as RB. Clearly we don't have to recruit a Vermaelen replacement.

Just a defensive mid needed then. Mr Parsimonious going to save dosh on the famed 80 to 100 million available to spend then? Come on Arsene - try changing the habits of a lifetime or do you want us to boo you into in the first game of the season (a la Ozil)?

Biggest thrill was seeing that Ramsey is already on song. Very good news that - all we need now is to build a disciplined organised side around him.

Sczesny

Debuccy or Chambers/Chambers or Mertesacker/Koscielny/Gibbs

To be bought DMF

Ozil/Wilshere or Cazorla/Ramsey/Sanchez

Giroud

Still needs Walcott back for width and speed on the right. That plus better injury luck, better squad rotation from Arsene for resilience and a clear Plan B strategy up front and we are contenders for the title. A lot of ifs there!

Very impressed with Chambers ability to handle the CB role as well as RB.

Well his positioning was at fault for both goals The Arsenal conceded in this tournament, but the bloke's only been training with us for a few weeks so he can be forgiven I think!

biggrin.png

Extraordinary comment in the interview held with Alisher Usmanov (Arsenal's 30% Uzbek billionaire shareholder) reported by the Beeb today. Apparently Usmanov says he has never spoken to American Stan Kroenke, Arsenal's majority shareholder with a 63 per cent stake in the club.

What kind of sick ownership structure do we have? No wonder Arsene can run everything like it was his own toy! That seems to be a good thing after all (... for now).

Major fireworks to come at some stage in the foseeable future?

The press major on Usmanov's beliefs that Arsenal are moving into a trophy mode. I thought the relationship comment was far more newsworthy.

Extraordinary comment in the interview held with Alisher Usmanov (Arsenal's 30% Uzbek billionaire shareholder) reported by the Beeb today. Apparently Usmanov says he has never spoken to American Stan Kroenke, Arsenal's majority shareholder with a 63 per cent stake in the club.

What kind of sick ownership structure do we have? No wonder Arsene can run everything like it was his own toy! That seems to be a good thing after all (... for now).

The press major on Usmanov's beliefs that Arsenal are moving into a trophy mode. I thought the relationship comment was far more newsworthy.

Don't fall for that <deleted> Santi, Jabba the Uzbek would rape the club given the chance and no-one likes him.

Don't fall for that <deleted> Santi, Jabba the Uzbek would rape the club given the chance and no-one likes him.

Wasn't supporting him - somehow I expect all rich Russians to be pretty obnoxious by definition (to have got where they got). So the fans favourite, David Dein, and one other (the titled lady?) sold out to a c'nut then? Nothing like money to turn the heads of the sane!

Wasn't supporting him - somehow I expect all rich Russians to be pretty obnoxious by definition (to have got where they got). So the fans favourite, David Dein, and one other (the titled lady?) sold out to a c'nut then? Nothing like money to turn the heads of the sane!

He's an Uzbek.

Deino sold out to him as a "f--- you" to the board who'd sacked him.

Lady Nina, the Indian who got her hands on the Bracewell-Smith family shares by marriage, sold them to Kroenke. She's no loss, she had nothing to do with the club anyway.

Edited by Chicog

Santi you'll be pleased to hear that the Charity Community Chastity Shield is on BBTV7.....

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

bbtv-channel-7-thailand.gif

Thanks - would have been even more pleased had it been on one of the HD channels of CTH or True. Getting spoilt (or spoiled for any passing Americans).

The fat man on the board was born Russian. Think we've been round that one before . Perhaps if you meet him you could ask him what he prefers to be calledtongue.png

Santi you'll be pleased to hear that the Charity Community Chastity Shield is on BBTV7.....

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

bbtv-channel-7-thailand.gif

Thanks - would have been even more pleased had it been on one of the HD channels of CTH or True. Getting spoilt (or spoiled for any passing Americans).

The fat man on the board was born Russian. Think we've been round that one before . Perhaps if you meet him you could ask him what he prefers to be calledtongue.png

Yes we have been round that one before....

1. Born: September 9, 1953 (age 60), Chust, Uzbekistan

Usual pinch of salt to be taken....

Liverpool and Arsenal have both made enquiries about Paris Saint-Germain forward Edinson Cavani, according to the player’s agent.

The Uruguay international is said to have received offers from both Premier League clubs – and he is interested in a move to the Premier League.

His agent Claudio Annelluci told Uruguayan newspaper El Telegrafo: “There was much interest in the player during the past six months.

“I can confirm that Cavani has heard proposals from Liverpool and Arsenal.

“He would love to play in England, but has not yet made a final decision.

And...

Arsenal have not yet made a bid for William Carvalho, according to Sporting Lisbon’s president.

The Gunners were widely reported to have made an offer for the Portugal midfielder, but those reports were wide of the mark, claims Bruno de Carvalho.

Manchester United tracked the 22-year-old throughout last season but they have not made an approach either.

De Carvalho told Portuguese newspaper O Jogo: “There are proposals for Marcos Rojo and Slimani, but the values ​​are below what Sporting legitimately want. for William Carvalho there are no proposals.”

The same newspaper had previously claimed that Arsenal had launched a €30m bid for the powerful anchorman.

But they have back-pedalled on the earlier reports to carry De Carvalho’s comments. Given that the president is freely admitting to underwhelming bids for other players, there is no reason to doubt he is telling the truth about the Carvalho situation.

Meanwhile the top teams, City, Liverpool and Chelsea wait for the draw to see when they have to fit Barcelona, RM, Bayern, Borussia, PSG and Atletico Madrid into their EPL schedule.

I'm looking for a Besiktas win and for City to win the Community Shield.

Yuk - any Turkish side 3,000 miles away is a bad draw, whether we have good form over the likes of Fernabace last season or not. On of these not so fine days the old squeaky bum 4th place trick is gonna come unstuck.

Vermaelen for 15 million quid? About 50% overvalued. That means the market is not softening up any on the buy side either, so bad news given that we have to be net spenders in the remainder of the window. Rumours about Cavani - fine but strong rumours of a realistic prospect of a defensive mid would be even better. Khedira seems to be unwilling to come down in wages and Carvallho's agent says he has not even been approached.

Yuk - any Turkish side 3,000 miles away is a bad draw, whether we have good form over the likes of Fernabace last season or not. On of these not so fine days the old squeaky bum 4th place trick is gonna come unstuck.

Vermaelen for 15 million quid? About 50% overvalued. That means the market is not softening up any on the buy side either, so bad news given that we have to be net spenders in the remainder of the window. Rumours about Cavani - fine but strong rumours of a realistic prospect of a defensive mid would be even better. Khedira seems to be unwilling to come down in wages and Carvallho's agent says he has not even been approached.

Apparently we won't sell to Man Ure because of Van Persie.

Cavani is but a pipe dream, probably an attempt by his agent to get him a pay rise.

Khedira is all press talk, as is Carvalho. It was the Sporting Chairman who said he hadn't been approached, you are not allowed to approach players without the clubs permission. It's called "tapping up".

Something Schneiderlin would do well to remember.

• Like 1

Apparently we won't sell to Man Ure because of Van Persie.

Cavani is but a pipe dream, probably an attempt by his agent to get him a pay rise.

Khedira is all press talk, as is Carvalho. It was the Sporting Chairman who said he hadn't been approached, you are not allowed to approach players without the clubs permission. It's called "tapping up".

Something Schneiderlin would do well to remember.

Rumour I heard was that you asked for Smalling in return and Manure said no.......I didn't believe it either, unless Wenger has been on the wacky baccy againthumbsup.gif

and I agree about Cavani's agent...same applies to LFC quotes about him. Off to smoke my pipebiggrin.png