Arsenal

MiG16

Very flat. Curious decision to leave the playmaker (Gervinho) on the bench at the start. You get two or three of those in a season even as a top (but not the top) side - trouble is we have had two or three already.

I don't agree with the media pundits' angle that Arsenal needed to win today to end in the top 4 but it'll be nail biting if at all.

Arsenal looked a bit flat today and only a late equalizer from Vermalen saved them from defeat. Walcott in particular I thought was poor. They cannot depend on Van Persie to always be the saviour. Others have to step up to the plate.

Curious clash of tactics. Aresenal played 1 and a half (Koscielny and Djouro) first team players and Man City maybe 3. Chelsea and Liverpool seemed to have 5 or 6. Suggests managerial pre-match collusion?

I'm pleased that Wenger chose to de-prioritise this pesky competition (and didn't bring the big guns on like Man City). Would obviously have liked our B team to have stepped up to the plate and beaten them, but I'm happy enough not to be playing another 3 games against the likes of Liverpool and Man U. Would obviously have liked to watch the game having got up at 3am, but not broadcasted.

I wonder how the football authoroties will react when all the big teams play entire B team squads throughout until Wembley - can't be more than a couple of seasons away.

The race to sack the first EPL manager is on - I thought ole punchbag face Bruce was shading it at the weekend but Steve Kean bounced back strongly into contention by losing agianst Cardiff

Curious clash of tactics. Aresenal played 1 and a half (Koscielny and Djouro) first team players and Man City maybe 3. Chelsea and Liverpool seemed to have 5 or 6. Suggests managerial pre-match collusion?

I'm pleased that Wenger chose to de-prioritise this pesky competition (and didn't bring the big guns on like Man City). Would obviously have liked our B team to have stepped up to the plate and beaten them, but I'm happy enough not to be playing another 3 games against the likes of Liverpool and Man U. Would obviously have liked to watch the game having got up at 3am, but not broadcasted.

I wonder how the football authoroties will react when all the big teams play entire B team squads throughout until Wembley - can't be more than a couple of seasons away.

The race to sack the first EPL manager is on - I thought ole punchbag face Bruce was shading it at the weekend but Steve Kean bounced back strongly into contention by losing agianst Cardiff

Sounds like a ready made excuse to me?? :D . Last night City did not have a regular first teamer start!! We brought on Aguero and the young kid Razak. You brought on Vermaelon, Arshavin and Gervinho!!

Regarding watching the game, sack True Visions as I did a couple of months ago. Get Astro :) . Miles better. Both games were shown live last night ;)

You misunderstand me. I was trying to compare Man City and Arsenal as one group who used very few first team players against Chelsea and Liverpool who used quite a few and was suggesting that both sets of managers had consulted about the general approach. I don't care a fig that we are out of the Milk Cup as postings prior to the match and all last season will stand testimony to. Our present staus in the world of football is all because Arsene would not listen to me last year and spiked us on the guns of attempting to win it.:P

If you want a pissing match (most people do on TV!) I could say I am surprised that you regard Dzeko, Nasri, Kaolo Toure, De Jong, Zabaleta and Johnson as not 'regular first teamers'. Better not tell them that. I think your Aguero being brought on for 58 minutes trumps our Gervinho (23 minutes), Vermaelen (10) and Arshavin (3!). I'd have certainly prefered your swap if I was keen on winning. :rolleyes:

vanP and Walcott were not even benched BTW and I don't think they're injured.

Thanks for the tip on Astro - will look into whether it flies in rural isaan

Edit: what's that yer shaggin' in the avatar by the way? Never worked out whether its a beer barrel, beer can or an old bag :blink:.

Edited by SantiSuk

You misunderstand me. I was trying to compare Man City and Arsenal as one group who used very few first team players against Chelsea and Liverpool who used quite a few and was suggesting that both sets of managers had consulted about the general approach. I don't care a fig that we are out of the Milk Cup as postings prior to the match and all last season will stand testimony to. Our present staus in the world of football is all because Arsene would not listen to me last year and spiked us on the guns of attempting to win it.:P

If you want a pissing match (most people do on TV!) I could say I am surprised that you regard Dzeko, Nasri, Kaolo Toure, De Jong, Zabaleta and Johnson as not 'regular first teamers'. Better not tell them that. I think your Aguero being brought on for 58 minutes trumps our Gervinho (23 minutes), Vermaelen (10) and Arshavin (3!). I'd have certainly prefered your swap if I was keen on winning. :rolleyes:

vanP and Walcott were not even benched BTW and I don't think they're injured.

Thanks for the tip on Astro - will look into whether it flies in rural isaan

Edit: what's that yer shaggin' in the avatar by the way? Never worked out whether its a beer barrel, beer can or an old bag :blink:.

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: probably some old bag!!! :o

No I am not wanting to get into a pissing fight, and not wanting to be pedantic, but our 'regular' first 11 appears to be Hart/ Richards/Lescott/Kompany/Clichy/Barry/Milner/Yaya Toure/ Silva/ Aguero and Balotelli.... I agree that our strength in reserve is probably the best in the league, and I am no way decrying that those players that played last night were crap (except Kolarov), but I am sure if we hadnt played 48hours ago, then Mancini would have included a few of the 'regulars'.

It seemed to me that both teams and managers were absolutely doing there upmost to win... Seeing Wenger on the touchline, and Van Persie reaction when Arsenal almost equalised :D

I thought Arsenal defended very well last night, and that kid Chamberlain looks special ;)

Maybe Arsene is taking the purchase of a striker seriously this time. Lots of press specualtion and linked with:

Mario Gotze from Borussia Dortmund for £25 to £30m. Has looked fantastic on some occasions for Germany, but I've been less impressed when I've seen him play for his club. Reportedly wants a move to Barca or Arsenal (shit - if Barca wants, Barca gets generally speaking!) and BD have already signed his replacement in anticipation

Lukas Podolski. Have a lot of time for him but (my sister's team) Cologne has been a backwater for him and he's regressed over the last year IMO. Still could be a good buy if he can be got sub £20m. Mr Podolski is 26 so not Wenger's usual interest group :whistling: . Lazio reportedly want him - no contest, you five reverse gear monkies!

Leandro Damiao - 22 year old Brazilian, still playing in Brazil and rated at £25m. I don't know much about him. I do know that bringing players in fresh from that continent can be a lottery - brilliant or cr@p when exposed to the faster/stronger game.

I'm sure of one thing, we need someone before vP gets crocked (any game now?!). No - I know two things, Arse is not the kind to go shellling out £35 to £50m in the January window, unless its Ronaldo or Messi :rolleyes: [no 3 things - it won't be Ronado or Messi!]

Maybe Arsene is taking the purchase of a striker seriously this time. Lots of press specualtion and linked with:

Mario Gotze from Borussia Dortmund for £25 to £30m. Has looked fantastic on some occasions for Germany, but I've been less impressed when I've seen him play for his club. Reportedly wants a move to Barca or Arsenal (shit - if Barca wants, Barca gets generally speaking!) and BD have already signed his replacement in anticipation

Lukas Podolski. Have a lot of time for him but (my sister's team) Cologne has been a backwater for him and he's regressed over the last year IMO. Still could be a good buy if he can be got sub £20m. Mr Podolski is 26 so not Wenger's usual interest group :whistling: . Lazio reportedly want him - no contest, you five reverse gear monkies!

Leandro Damiao - 22 year old Brazilian, still playing in Brazil and rated at £25m. I don't know much about him. I do know that bringing players in fresh from that continent can be a lottery - brilliant or cr@p when exposed to the faster/stronger game.

I'm sure of one thing, we need someone before vP gets crocked (any game now?!). No - I know two things, Arse is not the kind to go shellling out £35 to £50m in the January window, unless its Ronaldo or Messi :rolleyes: [no 3 things - it won't be Ronado or Messi!]

Baring in mind Internacional are our affiliate club and we really want to sign its is almost inconceivable you'd get him.

Looked like a potential embarrassment for the first 20 minutes - Wigan played Arsenal like they should be played, snapping at heels and a high tempo (but you need to be a super-fit team to keep that up for more than an hour). Eventually a bit of a cakewalk - Wenger obviously can't trust a 2 goal lead these days after the events of last season, where even this time last year we were being overhauled with far too much regularity. Otherwise I would have wanted him to bring on Coquelin and Wade-Chamberlain (and Frimpong) a bit earlier to give them League practice. I'm surprised he hasn't given up on using Arshavin as a sub yet, given that we have so much more exciting talent in the younger ranks. I agreed with him keeping the lil Russian over Summer after a poor 2010/11 campaign, but he continues to be of marginal use. I expect we can cash in on the new desire of Russian teams to splurge dosh if we are canny and I would hope to see him go in January

RvP needs 2 or 3 goals before New Year to break the calendar year league record. No problem if he keeps his form and fitness - Everton, Wolves and QPR at home should be the main fodder with Aston Villa and Man City away as possibles.

Arteta is still a great enigma to me. This was another match where I had to seriously search for him on the TV screen after 20 minutes thinking that maybe the team sheet had been wrong. But he seems to step up the pace a bit later on and comes up with some well struck goals from the edge of the box.

Leeds - just the type of oponent you don't want in the FA Cup. They are on a mini-roll - I may even go and catch a game or two over Xmas at Elland Road. I think Wenger will nonetheless play a rotation squad and not worry too much if they beat us. He is still emphasisng the importance of prioritising 4th spot on a dialy basis. He should be concerned about potential injuries in this kind of fixture even more than squad tiredness. Leeds are the Stoke of the Championship when they get fired up. Please please do not field Robin!

OK, so that's pre-booked my excuses for the FA Cup :P . Up to fifth in the PL with Liverpool facing a tricky tie and needing a 2 or 3 goal diff win (I think - havent' time to check it) away to Fulham tonight to push us back a notch. I would be content to be in fifth on Jan 1 if we are still within a handful of points of two teams above us. Looking at our December fixtures though we really should aim to be in there with 2 Mancunians and Spurs. It's going to be tough tough tough though with Arsenal, Man City adn SPurs in excellent form, Chelsea looking like they might get back to that status and ManU still slotting wins from anaemic performances.

Edited by SantiSuk

• 2 weeks later...

I'll say it first - the silence on this thread is deafening. Perhaps I bored all my fellow Gooners into submission?

Still, can't resist commenting on the games. Only squeaked through against Everton due to wonder-boy/wonder-strike. Much of the game prior was a nightmare reminder of what life might be like when vanP gets injured (because he was poor until that sumptuous volley). Hopefully the likes of Gervinho, Walcott and Ramsay, all of who had a great first half but deferred to vanP in front of goal, will actually attempt to score when he is not playing or reaches his 35 goal 2011 trophy.

Ramsay, who controlled the first half, was nixed in the second. I worry that Wenger is often too loyal to his first squad. There was a clear case for an in form Rosicky to come on after 60 minutes, not 80, to replace a tired Ramsay.

[if any Mancunians want vocabulary notes explaining 'defered' and 'sumptuous' I am happy to provide :rolleyes:. 'Nixed' is American and belongs on baseball/NFL threads - sorry about that ].

Trouble is Santi...migsy and tigerfish realised the truth already. Both are hiding behind the sofa waiting for the injury to RVP.

true, but at least we don't go on twitter and abuse one of GBs greatest Olympians for something he didn't do. rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gifwink.gif

Oh yeah....not guilty here mate! biggrin.gif

Edited by smokie36

I was wondering when the real Smokie was going to get back on these threads. The imposter of the last couple of months was far too convivial to be for real.:rolleyes:

Anyway our over-rated team has drawn Milan in the knock-out stages in the CL (you remember? that competition that Spuds made a one season only appearance in recently?). Chelsea have been lined up against Napoli. Barca drew Moscow.

Edit: woops - it was Real Madrid who drew Moscow, not Barca (they got Bayer Leverkusen)

Edited by SantiSuk

I was wondering when the real Smokie was going to get back on these threads. The imposter of the last couple of months was far too convivial to be for real.:rolleyes:

Just a quick retort for you Santi. I can't help feeling much happier these days now can I? biggrin.gif

Nice to see Chelsea waste unnecessary points last night. They were awful - can't remember them having put up such an aneamic attack in years, it would have been a travesty on Wigan if they had come away with the 3 points. Mind you I was a bit pissed at some strange bar near Swampy, so my analytic skills may be a bit suspect

We'll be lucky to get any more than one point tonight mind you and I suspect City will win it 3-1.

Hadn't heard the RvP story Tigerfish. Why would a top striker want to go to a club that already has 2 or 3? He should look at how much game time Nasri is getting if he is tempted. If they really are targetting him I can't imagine Dzeko is going to be a happy bunny.

Edit: Newcastle seem to be falling away now, rather predictably. Looks like only Stoke can challenge the top 6, who are starting to motor away from the pack.

Edited by SantiSuk