Coming back to Thailand

I am a US citizen, and I will be arriving back in Thailand in a few weeks.  I have not been there for over a year and a half.  I will arrive and do visa exempt, and poflssibly extend it at immigration office for the extra 30 days.  After that, I don't know what to do - leave and get another 30 day exempt or try for visa.  Here is my history:

I have not been there for a year and half, have not been issued a visa since June 2016.  

About 3 years ago, 3 visa exempt entries.

Then 60 day visa HCMC. extended for 30 days

Then back-to-back 60 day visas from Vientiane.  extended each entry for 30 days

Then, finally 60 day from HCMC.  I was issued the visa in HCMC, but they said last one.  No more visas.  There's no mark in my passport.  

If I decide to get a visa, will I be denied?  Or since the period has been awhile will it be fine?  I don't want to try in  HCMC again, but Laos would be good or Malaysia.  

Basically, when I fly back into Thailand will I be hassled because of my past visits?  And will I be able to do 3 visa exempt entries this year?  And finally, would i be able to get another visa after the exempt entries?  

Edited by DanceAllNight

Odds are you will not be questioned on your first fly-in, but a bad I/O may be looking for a way to punish the "longer-staying foreigner" (your past history), so have your bases covered. 

Be sure to have 10K Baht worth of CASH or Travelers Checks (can be USD, but not plastic), and a ticket out within 30 days.  Your plan, at the airport, is that you are leaving Thailand on that ticket; if any talk about staying longer, they will want to stop you entering at all.  I would also have the exact address of the hotel where you will stay.

If you don't want to buy a ticket-out within 30 days, get a Tourist Visa before you come - can be done by mail from inside the USA.  Note that the airline is likely to require a ticket out of Thailand to board, if you don't have a Visa.

Regarding your next Tourist Visa:  Do you have a new passport since your previous visits?  If not, you may get a "red stamp" if you go to get a Tourist Visa from Vientiane or Penang.  I have had them count years-old visas and red-stamp me.  Consulates only look at what they see in your passport when deciding whether to issue a visa or red-stamp your visa, so a new passport is how you prepare for 2 years or so of Tourist Visas (if done carefully - not all at Vientiane, etc).  

Immigration can see everything regardless of a new passport, so:

When returning to Thailand the 2nd time, if you use friendly land-borders, you have nothing to worry about.  All land borders except Poipet/Aranyaprathet are OK, but the Malaysian ones may want you to show 20K Baht worth of cash (can be USD) to enter. 

Airports are another story, but we have no horror-stories from Chang Mai from those entering with Tourist Visas, so maybe I/Os there follow the law/rules, rather than looking for ways to block entry citing made-up / non-existent rules, as some have reported.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DanceAllNight said:

Basically, when I fly back into Thailand will I be hassled because of my past visits?

There’s a higher chance if using visa exempt entry. You’d be better advised to get a tourist visa before leaving home.

And will I be able to do 3 visa exempt entries this year?

You should be ok. You’re limited to two by land. 

And finally, would i be able to get another visa after the exempt entries?  

Probably, but probably best to avoid HCMC and Vientiane.

Just to let you know, I am not in the US right now.  I am still abroad, just not in Thailand.  Why could I possibly be denied a visa from other countries, but not my own country?

As of right now, I will arrive and do visa exempt.  I will do visa exempt possibly three times.  Then, try for the visa.

Why could I possibly be denied a visa from other countries, but not my own country?

Depending on where you are - you can apply for a Tourist Visa at a Thai Consulate in another country.  An a few areas, such as Japan, they will only do it for citizens/residents of that country.  Most of the other Thai Consulates do not have this rule.

As of right now, I will arrive and do visa exempt.  I will do visa exempt possibly three times.  Then, try for the visa.

Be sure to have the 10K Baht worth of cash (20K would be better) and your ticket out of the country in 30-days.

Good luck on #2 and #3 - no problem by land, but at least stay out of Thailand a week or two before returning, if you do them by air, so they cannot as easily accuse you of being here to work illegally (it doesn't matter if it is logical, probable, or true - just an excuse to deny entry).  Personally, I'd save those next 2 visa-exempts for emergencies - when/if you cannot get a Tourist Visa on a trip to a Thai consulate.

Just to let you know, I am not in the US right now.  I am still abroad, just not in Thailand.  Why could I possibly be denied a visa from other countries, but not my own country?

Would it not make more sense to come in Visa Exempt and extend it. Then go to a local country for the Tourist Visa.

Thats unless you can get a Tourist Visa in the country you are in currently.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

Well, there is no chance of me getting a visa before i fly back to Thailand.  No time, and I am far from a consulate. 

I will be doing visa exempt.  I hope there is no problem, should there be?  I can have 20,000 baht not a problem.  (should it be baht or USD equivalent to baht?)  After this trip, I may get a visa, if i can.

2 hours ago, DanceAllNight said:

I will be doing visa exempt.  I hope there is no problem, should there be

It’s highly unlikely you’ll be denied entry, however, it’s common for people to get warned about overusing visa exemption and told to get a visa for future entries. The worst that is likely to happen is being pulled aside, and questioned about what you do in Thailand.

7 hours ago, DanceAllNight said:

Well, there is no chance of me getting a visa before i fly back to Thailand.  No time, and I am far from a consulate. 

You said you have  few weeks, couldn't you post your application? 

I personally would avoid Airports at all costs using Visa Exempts, using a TV would give you more chance of less hassle

Another poster above advised to avoid Vientianne but didn't explain why, you will be fine to get another TV there as long as you don't already have the "red stamp" However it's possible that you could get one after your next visit there, they usually give them between 3 and 5 TV's from there

• Like 1