Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

Just popped in to see if this thread is still delivering good quality debate over Brexit (:smile:).  Seems to be business as usual so no point in me sticking my oar in.

Keep speculating gentlemen, less than a year to go now before we actually know where we are going to end up.

39 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Just popped in to see if this thread is still delivering good quality debate over Brexit (:smile:).  Seems to be business as usual so no point in me sticking my oar in.

Keep speculating gentlemen, less than a year to go now before we actually know where we are going to end up.

Or to put it another way, the UK government, the Brexit leaders, the minister for Brexit or any of the supporters of Brexit have any idea at all where they taking the country or what will be there on arrival.  

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

A pity it is mostly about Denmark and written in a pro remain newspaper that gives it the slant against Brexit. Nothing like a bit of bias to keep stirring the pot.

Oh come on, it's an interesting piece. Jumping on everything that doesn't agree with you just weakens your position.

Just like the UK, the Danes adopted optouts leaving them on a sweet spot. 

Brexit is an own goal, an appalling act of self harm. I assure you that the mass of Brexiters will be worse off.

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Denim said:

A common market is still a good idea and even many brexiters would agree.

A federal Europe , where our say in our own affairs is overridden by bureaucrats we did not elect is something we did not ask for.

Try reading this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_deficit_in_the_European_Union

then we can discuss sensibly 

• Confused 1

55 minutes ago, The manic said:

Yes indeed. I think uncontrolled, riotous immigration from the French ports was a factor the last, straw.  No, Christians, No Yazidi, women but many bearded men who had colluded with, criminal trafficking gangs paying them a fortune to seek asylum when they already had it. Protected by the idiot free movement of people idiocy. 

Boat chandlers in Calais.  Remember, you get the best investment tips on TV.

5 hours ago, aright said:

Yes lets discuss it sensibly. Any liberal democracy, at its heart has to be representative, transparent and accountable. Its the only way to confer legitimacy and authority on a government.

How does the EU measure up to these tenets?

Read the attachment. I know it's dry and boring but it does explain the situation well. Certainly the system could be improved/simplified/clarified but it is democratic

• Haha 1

Just now, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Just like the appointment of this guy last month.

Martin Selmayr has been appointed Secretary-General of the Commission, the organisation that monitors whether countries are sticking to EU rules, dreams up new laws and runs the Brexit talks day-to-day.

From the BBC website (another pro-EU organisation).

Stop making excuses.

I agree with you

This is an appalling example 

Improvements ARE essential. I've been saying this from day one. My position has always been On BALANCE, we should stay and force through changes. I think the timing is now ripe with all that has happened in the last two years. I think Macron is good; pity we don't have anyone of his calibre. Frankly I feel quite disenfranchised 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, nauseus said:

Thanks Bill.

To qualify, I'm sure that he meant more than 50% of British voters who could be arsed to vote, voted for Brexit.

This hair-picking is repetitive, boring and old. 

Very,very boring.

5 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Just like the appointment of this guy last month.

Martin Selmayr has been appointed Secretary-General of the Commission, the organisation that monitors whether countries are sticking to EU rules, dreams up new laws and runs the Brexit talks day-to-day.

From the BBC website (another pro-EU organisation).

Stop making excuses.

BBC is getting proudly criticised for being pro Brexit.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

Perhaps you would care to cite these hapless journals yourself?

Or are you concerned that some may find the quality of your sources risible?

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/do-you-agree-that-the-uk-economy-will-be-permanently-damaged-by-leaving-the-eu-or-that-even-if-there-is-a-short-term-economic-hit-the-uk-economy-will-be-back-to-business-as-usual-within-a-couple-of-3/

The problem with this poll is it does not ask the question “do you support Brexit” or “how would you vote if if there was another referendum” which is an odd one to miss off unless you were looking to mislead people with the overall result of your survey.

Personally I would have voted for getting on with it as I think there should never have been a referendum in the first place and this should be the task of parliament to decide what is right for the country along with the decision to move forward with the current governments Brexit plan, change the plan to include remaining in the Customs Union or remaining fully in the EU - they also retain the right to request the advice of the people by holding a further referendum though I do think this would be a bad idea.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

My take on it is if two thirds of the British people want the government to get on with Brexit, that is significant and an acceptance that another referendum isn't required/necessary.

Not necessarily - a further referendum is not required/necessary because we are a parliamentary democracy so that is where the decision should reside.

Some of us wish the government would get on with Brexit because the idiots triggered the Art 50 without a plan in place and therefore started the clock ticking - it is important that we discover what options truly are available to us through negotiation with the EU so that this whole business can be put to bed to some degree, one way or the other, rather than the ridiculous strategy they seem to be working on at the moment which seems akin to jumping off a cliff/burning the bridge without a future plan regarding our future relationship being in place.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app