Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

15 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Everybody's grandmother already knows that, and do not need a third party link for edification.

Did you not actually read my comment; I was stating that the Hungarian people (rightly or wrongly) have told the world that the protection of their culture and identity, and their steadfast refusal to allow that to be challenged by immigration, is far more important to them than their economic welfare. 

I took the opportunity to check the change in origin of the UK population, and while the number of Eastern Europeans seems to have increased dramatically, one country contributed more than all the others; a country renowned for its beligerence and xenophobia; I speak, of course, of the British-born population, up from less than 54 million to more than 56 million between 2001 and 2015. While that might be cause for alarm, it pales into insignificance when one realises that the North Koreans have increased almost 1000-fold in the same period- at that rate, in 30 years they will not only outnumber all other ethnic groups, but in the whole of Europe; indeed, on the planet.

Why did we not listen to Enoch Powell?

6 minutes ago, aright said:

EU ‘very pleased’ not to be negotiating Brexit with Rees-Mogg

“If Britain trades on WTO terms, we could potentially slap tariffs of up to 70 per cent on Irish beef,” he said.

“That could bankrupt Ireland, who export £800million of beef to us every year.”

https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/eu-pleased-not-negotiating-brexit-rees-mogg-121954190.html

That could very well make for cheaper steak tartare in France, and make beef a luxury for working class Brits; and a gold mine for smugglers, organised crime and the horse knackers

15 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I took the opportunity to check the change in origin of the UK population, and while the number of Eastern Europeans seems to have increased dramatically, one country contributed more than all the others; a country renowned for its beligerence and xenophobia; I speak, of course, of the British-born population, up from less than 54 million to more than 56 million between 2001 and 2015. While that might be cause for alarm, it pales into insignificance when one realises that the North Koreans have increased almost 1000-fold in the same period- at that rate, in 30 years they will not only outnumber all other ethnic groups, but in the whole of Europe; indeed, on the planet.

Why did we not listen to Enoch Powell?

Sorry .... I am confused and don't really understand what your point t is  ...... you talk about a change in the demographic of the UK population. You then say that one country contributed more than all the others; a country renowned for its belligerence and xenophobia; but you don't name that country, you merely say it was the British-born population ...... what on earth are you talking about, and why have you posted this on my comment about Hungary 

Edited by Eloquent pilgrim

Just now, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Sorry .... I am confused and don't really understand what your point t is  ...... you talk about a change in the demographic of the UK population. You then say that one country contributed more than all the others; a country renowned for its belligerence and xenophobia; but you don't name that country, you merely say it was the British-born population ...... <deleted> are you talking about 

Perhaps I should make it clear to you that British-born people are born in Britain and are British.  Belligerence, xenophobia, and apparently, poor reading skills as well.  I blame Comprehensive education.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

That could very well make for cheaper steak tartare in France, and make beef a luxury for working class Brits; and a gold mine for smugglers, organised crime and the horse knackers

France imports 11% of its beef from Ireland and 17%from Netherland and 12% from Germany.

Surprising because I holiday in Marseille every year and drive there. Once you leave Calais its one long field all the way down to the Med. Why do they need to import so much? From my restaurant experience I wouldn't even describe them as big beef eaters.

6 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Perhaps I should make it clear to you that British-born people are born in Britain and are British.  Belligerence, xenophobia, and apparently, poor reading skills as well.  I blame Comprehensive education.

Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you were making an intelligent and edifying statement about the changing demographic of the population of the UK; when in fact, all you were doing was saying that all British people are belligerent xenophobes with an inability to read stunning literary statements like the one you have just enlightened us all with .

What a charming human being you are, I hope you feel better now and are feeling proud of yourself  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you were making an intelligent and edifying statement about the changing demographic of the population of the UK; when in fact, all you were doing was saying that all British people are belligerent xenophobes with an inability to read stunning literary statements like the one you have just enlightened us all with .

What a charming human being you are, I hope you feel better now and are feeling proud of yourself  

‘With which you have just enlightened us all’

6 minutes ago, aright said:

France imports 11% of its beef from Ireland and 17%from Netherland and 12% from Germany.

Surprising because I holiday in Marseille every year and drive there. Once you leave Calais its one long field all the way down to the Med. Why do they need to import so much? From my restaurant experience I wouldn't even describe them as big beef eaters.

Perhaps because they can grow more valuable crops than cattle feed.

1 hour ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Well it certainly hasn't silenced Viktor Orban ...... economic uncertainty doesn't seem to bother the Hungarian population who have just elected Viktor Orban for a third consecutive 4 year term as Prime Minister

The Hungarians have a far more important concern about their future. Orban has warned of an infiltration by islamic invaders, and fresh from a landslide victory, he will continue to insist that Hungary, where less than six percent of the population is foreign-born, will never admit migrants “with different cultural characteristics and backgrounds.” Merkel,  Chakribati, Lilly Allen and that inanely grinning crisp salesman will hang some labels on him and the Hungarian population, but they will no doubt continue on their own exit path  

Unalloyed demagoguery as usual. Orban uses the threat of an Islamic tidal wave to obscure his nefarious activities.

48 minutes ago, aright said:

“If Britain trades on WTO terms, we could potentially slap tariffs of up to 70 per cent on Irish beef,” he said.

https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/eu-pleased-not-negotiating-brexit-rees-mogg-121954190.html

Of course the problem with that is, under WTO rules they would be obliged to impose that tariff on all beef imports. Beef would become an expensive luxury in the UK.

Ireland would not be that badly affected,   It has a GDP of $300 billion so 800 million is nothing  and anyway could export it's beef tariff free to the rest of the EU.  

21 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Unalloyed demagoguery as usual. Orban uses the threat of an Islamic tidal wave to obscure his nefarious activities.

Spot on! All caused of course by a system of EU governance  which ignores the needs of its citizens, thus giving rise to the popularity of extreme right wing parties from the great hegemon Germany and Italy and France et al. 

1 hour ago, StreetCowboy said:

Ever heard of a country called Australia?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Can I translate that for the Us Brits who have been punished with Comprehensive education?

Pish;Orban uses Johnny Foreigner .... I don’t actually know an abusive term specifically for Muslim immigrants ... to hide his crimes.

To be fair, Hungary has been the battleground for war with the Turk since before the separation of France and England, since before the Auld Alliance, before the invasion of Ireland, before the Union of the Crowns; and also more recently.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aright said:

Because we are the rosbifs!

• Thanks 1

US to join Commonwealth? Farage drops BOMBSHELL about Brexit trade BREAKTHROUGH

NIGEL Farage told listeners there is an "incredible interest" from American officials in joining the Commonwealth as an associate member, after he spoke to leading officials in the White House.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/949595/Brexit-News-Farage-US-Commonwealth-membership-associate-Trump

Edited by evadgib
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

NIGEL Farage told listeners there is an "incredible interest" from American officials in joining the Commonwealth as an associate member, after he spoke to leading officials in the White House.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/949595/Brexit-News-Farage-US-Commonwealth-membership-associate-Trump

Capital B and capital S.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, evadgib said:

You lose 5 points for posting an article from The Express, only newspaper articles are permitted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, evadgib said:

The idea of an US/GB flag would be very interesting although they are too good to be included in the Commonwealth games.

images (1).png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, aright said:

If anything shows how massively ignorant Rees-Mogg is, it's this quote. In 2017 Ireland had a GNP of 250 billion Euro. Beef exports account for less than one half of 1 percent of that. total. And do you think that the British public would enthusiastically endorse the skyrocketing price of beef that would follow?

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

You lose 5 points for posting an article from The Express, only newspaper articles are permitted.

It could well be true.  Farage has told a lot of people a lot of things in his contribution to the war on truth.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

I think you have misread me, I said reforms that would be needed, I did not say reforms that had been conceded .....

This is exactly what I said, perhaps you'd be kind enough to read it again

""the irony is that if just 10% of the reforms that will now be needed to keep the EU together had been offered to Cameron, he would not have even called a referendum""

My response was unclear. Sorry! My point was that Cameron did achieve useful concessions (if inadequate). Sadly, the referendum result consigned these to history

https://www.politico.eu/article/david-cameron-eu-reform-deal-scorecard-brexit-eu-referendum-agreement/

This is one of several contemporaneous accounts.

1 hour ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Not sure the Hungarian people would agree that their vote was irrational and based on prejudice. In an election that had a near record 69% turnout, Orban unashamedly based almost his entire election campaign on anti-immigration; the immigration being that of those coming from third world islamic countries, bringing with them a medieval culture that has a proven inability to integrate into any western society. I don't see anything irrational in their voting logic and given that he gained a landslide victory, they obviously don't either

BTW, you still have not acknowledged misquoting me in an earlier post, even though you have replied to a subsequent one (*∆*)

Sadly you failed to comprehend my point. Orban is an obvious demagogue. He whips up support under an anti Islam banner. However, his actual aims are far more subtle and include corruption, nepotism and personal enrichment.

You are still quite new here. Other members will know that I am notorious for my anti Islam, pro EU, pro education, pro social justice, humanitarian outlook ? (However contradictory that may seem).

Sorry to have kept you waiting for a response. My tardiness in replying is also a recognised failing.

12 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Well it certainly hasn't silenced Viktor Orban ...... economic uncertainty doesn't seem to bother the Hungarian population who have just elected Viktor Orban for a third consecutive 4 year term as Prime Minister

The Hungarians have a far more important concern about their future. Orban has warned of an infiltration by islamic invaders, and fresh from a landslide victory, he will continue to insist that Hungary, where less than six percent of the population is foreign-born, will never admit migrants “with different cultural characteristics and backgrounds.” Merkel,  Chakribati, Lilly Allen and that inanely grinning crisp salesman will hang some labels on him and the Hungarian population, but they will no doubt continue on their own exit path  

Talk is cheap, let us see how he walks.

13 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

Imagine: getting back your old doubloons! What an incentive! The opportunity for speculation, the ability to set punitive interest rates or to punish savers; What fun!

You have to get to that stage first, what is my own currency worth in Euros, how much debt do I have in Euros that I will have to pay off in Doubloons, is it even acceptable to my debtors, what will happen on my stock market, how much world wide confidence in my currency is there, etc,etc etc.