Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

All forms of tertiary education should be free at the point of delivery including a living allowance. This could be recoverable through progressive income tax.

I agree with you there Grouse.  After all, the current system is very similar to taxing, i.e. there is a threshold before which you don't make any repayments, and then repayments are higher as you earn more. So they might as well have a graduate tax.  Psychologically so much nicer than a huge debt around your neck.

Anyway, we digress - let's get back to arguing!

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Yes the British Government discriminated against British citizens, while allowing unrestricted entry of foreign nationals into our countries,resulting in many instances, in a lowering of the basic wage. Thankfully this madness will cease next year.

But if we leave without agreement, it also closes the route British nationals can use to get their wives into the UK , the  surinder-singh route talked about above. Makes it worse for everyone.

British business needs  cheap young labour to stay competitive. Don't you think the Tories  will just let in more non-EUs in to replace them?

2 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Perhaps, if they could gain entry, to the country of their husband and also maybe their children, they would be able to take up employment, and therefore help to support their family. In the meantime no restriction are in place to control the influx of foreign nationals,with no connection with the U.K. who come from the so called E.U.

You may not be aware of the fact, that foreigners from the E.U can obtain British tax paid benefits, such as child benifit, while one of the parents is resident in the U.K. yet the child never has to enter the U.K.

Thankfully the British people decided enough is enough, and decided to put a halt to this foolishness,when they voted for Brexit.

That would I presume be a reciprocal agreement between all EU members, if not then it is a fault of the UK not the EU.

1 hour ago, transam said:

UK Boarder Force 1&2 on YouTube...I have watched them all, there is no fixing just a film crew tagging along...Was a big learning curve for me n how stuff is "fixed" to get into the UK, the dodges, the "colleges" that are "fixing" stuff for cash...A big problem that the UK is spending zillions to sort.....

Great stuff

UK may be spending zillions but it's not enough. Also glaring  loop holes must be closed. Release on bail because of lost passport? BS. Should be locked up while documents or records found. I'll watch all episodes. HIGHLY recommended!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

I think many feel that it is inequitable that EU spouses have much easier access to the UK than others. I agree. (My wife doesn't like the UK, or Germany, or me!)

As you know Grouse, I don’t usually reply to your post, as I find you very arrogant, however I fully agree with this post, and may I say, your wife is very knowledgeable and probably a saint,what with being married to you.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Swimman said:

Please name the universities who failed to fill all their available nursing degree course places 

There was 3% less enrollment than last year, there were also more placements available this year than last, do the maths.

1 hour ago, nontabury said:

So you consider it O.K. that citizens of foreign countries, with no association what’s so ever with the U.K can gain entry to this country, While wives and children of British citizens are classed as 2nd class, and are refused entry, amazing.

By the way, I easily gained entry for my wife and British passport children, though I still feel for my fellow Brits who have not been able to follow my route, but then I ‘m  not selfish like some anti British so called Brits.

Perhaps you should look up Skype children. There are up to 25,000 of them. 

I considered it’s people like you,that is at the core of everything that is wrong with the U.K. Furthermore during my 20yrs living in Thailand, a country with many problems, I always respected them for always putting the Thais first, even in those instances that it had a negative effect on myself.

I didn't say I was OK with it, I stated the reasons, with a view to clearing up the stated confusion in the post I replied to.  My feeling on the matter is that it is a basic human right to be able to live with ones family.

• Like 1

Just now, Kieran00001 said:

There was 3% less enrollment than last year, there were also more placements available this year than last, do the maths.

You say that but provide no evidence -- Which universities were reporting they had failed to fill the available places on their undergraduate nursing courses?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Swimman said:

You say that but provide no evidence -- Which universities were reporting they had failed to fill the available places on their undergraduate nursing courses?

https://www.nursingtimes.net/news/education/hundreds-of-nurse-training-places-likely-to-be-unfilled/7009741.article

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/nhs-nurse-bursary-england-number-first-year-support-fees-ucas-jeremy-hunt-rcn-a8091131.html

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

The total number of temporary workers in the UK remained constant throughout the opening of our borders to the new EU states and until now, and it is actually now gfalling, I don't see this result you claim evidenced in any statistic.  England hasn't been able to meet it's labour needs for seasonal agricultural workers since the 14th century and have depended on migrants from poorer regions ever since.  The squeezing of the poor appears to be largely unrelated to immigration, the cost to the 5% of the UK's poorest is estimated to be a loss of less than 1% of their income per 1% rise in the population, and it does also have a positive effect on most of us, the other 95% of the population see a slight increase in their income with the same rise in population.

The problem with just regurgitating stuff from Google searches is that every now and then you'll make an enormous faux pas (e.g. Best for Britain are pre-Brexit). Try speaking for yourself - it'll be much more interesting :thumbsup:

In any case, maybe you can't see the negative impact of mass EU immigration to the UK on infrastructure, services and wages because you don't live in an area affected by it. No amount of Google searches and stats can replace actual experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

The problem with just regurgitating stuff from Google searches is that every now and then you'll make an enormous faux pas (e.g. Best for Britain are pre-Brexit). Try speaking for yourself - it'll be much more interesting :thumbsup:

In any case, maybe you can't see the negative impact of mass EU immigration to the UK on infrastructure, services and wages because you don't live in an area affected by it. No amount of Google searches and stats can replace actual experience.

I wonder if the lost 1,000,000 folk in the UK come into his OK stuff...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tebee said:

1st Link is rabid speculation 

2nd Link "The UCAS 2017 End of Cycle report shows the numbers accepted are still the second highest on record, 22,575 compared to 23,385 in 2016 - across the UK 28,000 prospective nurses were accepted to study." 

An insignificant "drop" of 810 

1 hour ago, tebee said:

Yes have done it - did have a few problems and at one point had to get Solvit involved.

Problem in France is that immigration is one thing that is devolved out to the regions  so each prefecture may have it's own rules which may or may not conform to EU rules.

So this is in addition to the known fact that many E.U countries,also have their own rules, which may or may not conform to E.U rules. Yet you continue to support our membership of this future federation.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, nontabury said:

So in order for people like you,who may wish to Voluntarily  live and work in the E.U. You consider its O.K that we allow unrestricted entry to foreign nationals, many of whom are unskilled, who in turn keep the wages of your fellow Brits to the bare minimum. And this is before we go into the E.U criminals,with all their specialized skills,  who can also easily gain entry into the U.K.

Why not, Brits have unrestricted access to jobs in 27 countries ? Wages - you have heard of the minimum wage ? If that's too low it's for the UK gov to raise it.

I suspect there are far more British Criminals in Spain alone, than EU ones in the UK.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nontabury said:

So this is in addition to the known fact that many E.U countries,also have their own rules, which may or may not conform to E.U rules. Yet you continue to support our membership of this future federation.

Yes because the EU has mechanisms for me as a lowly  citizen to challenge the government.

In my case I contacted Slovit, they contacted the prefecture for me and got them to change the procedures to be compliant with EU law. 

I've had less success with trying to correct a point of UK law though!

48 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I agree with you there Grouse.  After all, the current system is very similar to taxing, i.e. there is a threshold before which you don't make any repayments, and then repayments are higher as you earn more. So they might as well have a graduate tax.  Psychologically so much nicer than a huge debt around your neck.

Anyway, we digress - let's get back to arguing!

Is it not also true, that E.U citizens, who may have no connection with the U.K And may never have set foot In the U.K. can obtain a loan/ grant to enroll in a English/ Welsh university, and then on completion of their British tax funded university education, return to their own country, and forget to pay the loan back.

Meanwhile a British tax paying  citizen residing in say, Thailand, is not only refused a loan/grant, but should their children enter a British university, they will be expected to pay the full cost PLUS an extra 50%.

This I beLeave  is another example of British citizens being treated as 2nd class by all governments.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

That would I presume be a reciprocal agreement between all EU members, if not then it is a fault of the UK not the EU.

Reciprocal arrangements only really work when both sides make use of them.

I think it's far more likely a parent from Romania comes to the UK to take child benefits for a child in Romania than it is for a UK parent to do the same in Romania. So it's the UK that loses out in these arrangements. I think.

Edited by CG1 Blue
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

You clearly have no idea what a faux pas is.

And hang on a minute, it was you who posted that paper without even bothering to check the date and then still argued it after it was pointed out to you, wasn't it?  And I did actually admit my mistake, whereas you just went silent, so get off your high horse, you're being ridiculous.

And I lived in one of the most ethnically diverse parts of the UK before I came to Thailand, I have seen the effects, and it is mostly positive.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Swimman said:

We know that there are more places this year than last year, we know that from the government and from UCAS.  We also know that 3% less people enrolled on nursing courses in England this year than last.  Do you really need more evidence?  Perhaps you could give us a scenario where there are more places but less enrollments that does not result in available places, but I bet you can't!  By the way, did you study maths at primary level?

23 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Highly unlikely, but those Costa crooks are putting money into the local economy.

...but those Costa crooks are putting Stolen British money into the local economy.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Is it not also true, that E.U citizens, who may have no connection with the U.K And may never have set foot In the U.K. can obtain a loan/ grant to enroll in a English/ Welsh university, and then on completion of their British tax funded university education, return to their own country, and forget to pay the loan back.

Meanwhile a British tax paying  citizen residing in say, Thailand, is not only refused a loan/grant, but should their children enter a British university, they will be expected to pay the full cost PLUS an extra 50%.

This I beLeave  is another example of British citizens being treated as 2nd class by all governments.

My Thai daughter has a UK passport and will receive all U.K. University benefits meagre though they are.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kieran00001 said:

We know that there are more places this year than last year, we know that from the government and from UCAS.  We also know that 3% less people enrolled on nursing courses in England this year than last.  Do you really need more evidence?  Perhaps you could give us a scenario where there are more places but less enrollments that does not result in available places, but I bet you can't!  By the way, did you study maths at primary level?

I have chosen to ignore your rudeness but would point out that you have failed to answer the question asked. Is it a reading or comprehension problem?

13 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Equally British students can go and study for free in most of the other EU states. There is also  nothing to prevent  British students moving to another country post-graduating and forgeting to pay the loan back too.

If you lived as a British tax paying citizen in another EU country rather than Thailand, you wouldn't have the extra 50% to pay - at least now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

You clearly have no idea what a faux pas is.

And hang on a minute, it was you who posted that paper without even bothering to check the date and then still argued it after it was pointed out to you, wasn't it?  And I did actually admit my mistake, whereas you just went silent, so get off your high horse, you're being ridiculous.

And I lived in one of the most ethnically diverse parts of the UK before I came to Thailand, I have seen the effects, and it is mostly positive.

The date thing was barely relevant to my point, so I couldn't be bothered to respond - sorry.

And you didn't admit your mistake - you just blamed it on a typo by whoever wrote it. To not know who Best for Britain represent suggests you know little about this topic, despite copy pasting writing lots of comments on it.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Grouse said:

My Thai daughter has a UK passport and will receive all U.K. University benefits meagre though they are.

Please provide details, example will you be expected to pay the full cost+ 50%.

or are you able/ clever enough to obtain a British Government loan/ grant?

Or will you resort to moving to your beloved Germany, from where your British daughter will be able to enter a British university at little or no cost to yourself.