Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

34 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Yeah, but the ones in Spain are retired. Have a heart!

Plus the money they stole was from overseas depositos, not British, they gave all theirs in donations to the poor whoe presidents drive Benzes. When you ever nice to your own people.?.

1 minute ago, nauseus said:

Ok then. I must have got lucky!

The universities vary in how thoroughly they pursue this assessment, and they will not necessarily be consistent in their assessment of whether you are entitled to home student fees.  It may also depend on the level of competition for home-funded places at that university

2 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

I do hope that's not true - but it wouldn't surprise me, the way we've been the suckers of the EU for decades.

Civil law applies as does the EU arrest warrant 

Furthermore we should be encouraging bright people to stay. Got a job offer? You can stay!

Edited by Grouse

2 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

The universities vary in how thoroughly they pursue this assessment, and they will not necessarily be consistent in their assessment of whether you are entitled to home student fees.  It may also depend on the level of competition for home-funded places at that university

Seems very slack but I'm happy with that! 

6 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Plus the money they stole was from overseas depositos, not British, they gave all theirs in donations to the poor whoe presidents drive Benzes. When you ever nice to your own people.?.

Not sure what you mean really but I'm always nice to Brexiteers. :smile:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nontabury said:

English,Welsh and Nth Irish people cannot even obtain free entry to Scottish universities, while citizens of the E.U can. Of course this has nothing to do with discrimination.

Regarding British students moving, post grad to a E.U. country. That is no easy feat for the majority. And let’s remember that  E.U citizens do not even need to move to the U.K post university in order to obtain a British tax funded education, and yes, funded by British tax payers residing in Thailand, who I repeat must pay an extra 50% to send their British children to those same U.K universities.

This is just one of many instances that the British have allowed themselves to be played as Muggs. All because in 1975 we voted to join a trading block called the E.E.C. That has now transformed without our agreement into the hated E.U.

Don't be so damn silly. It's your OWN government's fault, NOT the EU! Jesus!

3 hours ago, nontabury said:

English,Welsh and Nth Irish people cannot even obtain free entry to Scottish universities, while citizens of the E.U can. Of course this has nothing to do with discrimination.

Regarding British students moving, post grad to a E.U. country. That is no easy feat for the majority. And let’s remember that  E.U citizens do not even need to move to the U.K post university in order to obtain a British tax funded education, and yes, funded by British tax payers residing in Thailand, who I repeat must pay an extra 50% to send their British children to those same U.K universities.

This is just one of many instances that the British have allowed themselves to be played as Muggs. All because in 1975 we voted to join a trading block called the E.E.C. That has now transformed without our agreement into the hated E.U.

I thought all the changes that the EU has gone through we’re approved by the EUropean Parliament.  

Personally, I am unhappy about the drink - driving laws, that seem to be constantly in a state of flux without my concurrence, but I suppose if we appoint a government to deal with these things, it would be ill-natured cantankerousness to complain and refuse to play along

11 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

I would of thought they would go by the electoral role.

There’s no obligation to register to vote, and the residency requirement is three years, predating eligibility to vote

3 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

There’s no obligation to register to vote, and the residency requirement is three years, predating eligibility to vote

It is illegal not to register on the electoral role if you are 17+ and resident in the UK, but sure, it doesn't go back three years so wouldn't prove that to them.  Anyway, for British people who have a postal address in the UK I doubt it would be an issue, without proof of address in the UK it will come down to what is said to the uni, apparently they are willing to discuss individual cases and the 3 years is not a fixed rule for all.

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Sorry to give you the bad news.

ANY income that HMRC considers as UK based is liable for tax once the income threshold is passed.

While I pay no income tax on my state pension, both my military pension and my company pension combined with my state pension exceeds the tax threshold and so I do pay taxes as an expat.

I do pay income tax in the UK but NOT in Thailand and NO, I am not a tax-dodging expat who choose to pay their tax in some faraway jurisdiction (or not at all). 

The pensions are taxed in the domain that they are accrued, not where they are paid.  You are not paying tax in the UK on income earned in Thailand (you will be obliged to pay tax on income earned as a landlord in the UK while overseas)

31 minutes ago, tebee said:

A very well constructed article.

Can I add this to demonstrate the effect of the resurgence of extreme right wing politics in Europe.

http://novaramedia.com/2018/04/22/racism-in-the-frontier-region-how-power-hungry-politicians-and-the-far-right-are-turning-italy-against-refugees/

10 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

You are correct - that is not correct.

The EU student, assuming that they are resident in the EU, will get charged the UK / EU fees rate "residency is more important than citizenship", to quote 'The Complete University Guide'.  Loans are at the behest of the home country.  The fees for non-EU residents are not 150%, as far as I can tell, they are generally more like two or three times higher, but I think that the UK / EU fees are controlled, while the non-EU fees are not, and the universities charge whatever they think that the market will bear.

It seems fair to me that British residents should pay lower fees than tax-dodging expats who choose to pay their tax in some faraway jurisdiction (or not at all).  Why not send your child to a Thai university?

Many ex-pats pay British tax. I was one of many. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, nauseus said:

The Thai-born kids who have British passports can attend British unis under the same terms as any other Brish kids. That is actually what Grouse said. Thai university degrees are not generally favoured over a UK university degree in the big wide world because of perceived poor academic reputation. I've looked at some of the Thai uni courses and the syllabi look fine, so if there is a problem it will be to do with the delivery or "marking". Some British and Canadian kids here that I know have gone to Thai unis because they have decided they want to live and work in Thailand. Good luck to them.

I’m not sure what you mean by “the same terms as any other British kids”

certainly not in regards to the course fees.

On 4/23/2018 at 1:36 PM, aright said:

Just a reminder!

"Once again address the length of the chain, rubber stamping issues and my part in the election of Mr Selmayr or sign off."  

Reminder of what?

My point has only ever addressed your statement  - nothing else.

"I use my vote regularly in the UK to vote for officials from the Prime Minister down to local community representatives."

Just choosing to avoid the the fact that the Prime minister selects the commissioner to the EU.

Keep on side stepping.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Reminder of what?

"I use my vote regularly in the UK to vote for officials from the Prime Minister down to local community representatives."

Just choosing to avoid the the fact that the Prime minister selects the commissioner to the EU.

Keep on side stepping.

I admire your voting diligence, but its really a waste of time,

as we can only get what we are given. Why else would we

end up with such low calibre politicians, and government.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

The pensions are taxed in the domain that they are accrued, not where they are paid.  You are not paying tax in the UK on income earned in Thailand (you will be obliged to pay tax on income earned as a landlord in the UK while overseas)

I already know that as some of my pensions have been paid in Thailand but taxed in the UK.

But my pensions are all deemed UK based by HMRC and as I am retired I have no Thai income anyway.

When I worked offshore in France, Germany and New Zealand I paid tax in those countries but not to HMRC.

Edited by billd766
added extra text

Dominic Green, from the debate  on the customs union last night, and why we need to stay in both it and the Single market.

source https://goo.gl/5C7sPp

( mods please note it's released under the Open Parliament Licence as such may be freely reused without copyright problems)

Free trade agreements are wonderful things to have—I am a great believer in free trade agreements. I can see that, by being members of the EU, we have lost something in terms of being able to do our own free trade agreements, but not one single Government analysis suggests that they outweigh the advantages of participating in the best free trade arrangement that we have with our EU partners.

What is the point of having a free port in Middlesbrough —forgive me—if it is only going to be used to trade with the United Kingdom? Assuredly, it will not be to trade with our EU partners because they will not allow any of the goods in between Middlesbrough and the European continent. Why is it that pharmaceutically related businesses in my constituency tell me that they will be going if there is not frictionless trade with the European Union, which implies participation in the customs union? Why is it that the deputy ambassador of Japan has us all in and says, “You do realise that every Japanese company will be gone in 10 years’ time if they cannot have frictionless trade into the European Union.”

We are behaving in the most extraordinary and blinded fashion as we blunder around, ignoring the realities. In any case, free trade agreements come with strings attached, as I said earlier. If we have multiple free trade agreements, they will very quickly start to look like customs unions. That is what happens when people get together. This idea of “customs union bad” and, somehow, “free trade agreement good” simply does not stack up, and it is time for a reality check.

In fact, we need more than a customs union, because it is also obvious that we will not be able to trade without regulatory alignment. I was over in Dublin for a very interesting conference called by the Institute of International and European Affairs. The Irish border is just a microcosm of the bigger problem. It just so happens that, on the Irish border, people are trading constantly on a very intimate scale. A person sends their milk to the dairy over the border. If we do not have regulatory equivalence, we will not be able to do that. People will buy products, going backwards and forwards all the time. It absolutely highlights at that level the problem that we will have at a wider level if we persist with this idea that we can somehow get out and still enjoy the benefits of the frictionless trade that we say we want.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

Reminder of what?

Keep on side stepping.

Rubber stamping someone else's decision is neither selection nor democratic.

" Most Europeans did not vote in the European Parliament elections. Turnout declined in the majority of member states. Nowhere was Mr Juncker on the ballot paper. Even in Germany, where the concept of Spitzenkandidaten got the most airtime, only 15% of voters even knew he was a candidate. He did not visit some member states. Those who voted did so to choose their MEP not the Commission president. Mr Juncker did not stand anywhere and was not elected by anyone."

Edited by aright
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Thanks for that link.

Perhaps some of the Remainers on the site should watch it too.

If they wanted the referendum to be binding they should have made it a binding referendum !

As it was only advisory, I see nothing wrong with opposing it's outcome.

9 minutes ago, aright said:

It is not an attack on Mr Juncker, an experienced European politician, to say this is nonsense. Most Europeans did not vote in the European Parliament elections. Turnout declined in the majority of member states. Nowhere was Mr Juncker on the ballot paper. Even in Germany, where the concept of Spitzenkandidaten got the most airtime, only 15% of voters even knew he was a candidate. He did not visit some member states. Those who voted did so to choose their MEP not the Commission president. Mr Juncker did not stand anywhere and was not elected by anyone.

You're projecting your own ignorance of the EU system onto the rest of the population of Europe without any evidence.  I think most people know that they are voting for a group and that the winning group get the presidency, I think most people also make themselves aware of who the presidential candidate is for the group they are voting for through their chosen MEP.  But of course this particular candidate did not visit all states, why would he when his group are not represented in all states?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Thanks for that link.

Perhaps some of the Remainers on the site should watch it too.

The Leavers should have Farages words repeated to them at every opportunity,  “In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it.”