Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

1 minute ago, nauseus said:

IMF only concerned with it's precious GDP.  Link below from the FT last year - nearly half a million immigrants unemployable then. How many now? GDP at any price?

You can add and add to populations but eventually this policy is unsustainable and fails. 

Not sure how you missed this part, Germans are not having as many children and they are having them later, so they are facing a coming labour shortage, that means immigrants are not adding and adding to the future population but just making sure it doesn't decrease, which would actually be unsustainable and fail.

7 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I stand corrected then. The English gave them the English language, not accounting for the accent (although it sounds better than a London accent) 

At last we can agree on something!

Just now, Kieran00001 said:

Not sure how you missed this part, Germans are not having as many children and they are having them later, so they are facing a coming labour shortage, that means immigrants are not adding and adding to the future population but just making sure it doesn't decrease, which would actually be unsustainable and fail.

No, I haven't missed anything. 

3 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

And that is always the excuse.....

The fact that it keeps wages v. low for those at the bottom of the chain (which of course permeates up to the middle-sectors) - is, for some reason NEVER mentioned :sad:.

Oh, is that why their minimum wage has continued to increase in value throughout the refugee crisis even though they have taken 160 times as many refugees as the UK and the UK's minimum wage has gone down in value?

If you just could come up with a single fact to back up one of your many assertions...

3 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

You can be as immigration sensitive as you want,fact is every European country needs immigrants to keep their pension schemes and health services rolling. Those fleeing violence in their own countries aren't immigrants per se,they are refugees who should be sent back when the troubles are over. Unlike the rest of Europe the UK doesn't have ID cards or a registration of abode regulation (I may be wrong with the latter, haven't lived there for years) which makes it difficult to keep track of who is in the country and their whereabouts.

Disagree entirely as I've seen the 'wonderful' filipino nurses 'in action' within the nhs - and its  not 'pretty'....

Having said that - the brit. nurses are no better....

6 minutes ago, nauseus said:

No, I haven't missed anything. 

Then how did you arrive at the adding and adding nonsense in reply to a comment thats very premise was refugees countering the aging of their population?

Edited by Kieran00001

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

The uk only opened it's borders to all eu peope in '04?

It was one of only three countries that chose to open its borders to labour from all of the EU in 2004, including the 10 new member states.  But as we can see it wasn't significant, wages continued to increase right up to the financial crisis.

1 minute ago, Kieran00001 said:

Oh, is that why their minimum wage has continued to increase in value throughout the refugee crisis even though they have taken 160 times as many refugees as the UK and the UK's minimum wage has gone down in value?

If you just could come up with a single fact to back up one of your many assertions...

I'm obviously missing something here - which is why it's a good idea to quote all relevant posts.

Yes, it's a pain in the neck - but better than expecting other posters to trawl back to the relevant posts!

Disagree entirely as I've seen the 'wonderful' filipino nurses 'in action' within the nhs - and its  not 'pretty'....

Having said that - the brit. nurses are no better....

I can't see how you can disagree with fact. Nurses will only be employed if they are qualified but apart from that at the moment there are (in Germany) 5 working people supporting one pensioner in the not too distant future it has been estimated that without immigration that will go down to 3, that is obviously unsustainable. In the Automobile firm that I worked in in Munich the production lines were manned overwhelmingly with foreigners, even in the offices there were a good sprinkling of foreigners, in my department of say 40 people there were two Englishmen, a Spaniard, two Turks and three Croatians, for a time we even had a Chinese professor. Without immigration Germany, and I suspect many other countries as well, would grind to a halt.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Sorry, I thought we were talking about the uk.

And I'd appreciate it if you would give up on the insults - or at least restrict them to quoted posts, rather than the 'general' insult :laugh:.

Edited by dick dasterdly

And I'd appreciate it if you would give up on the insults - or at least restrict them to quoted posts, rather than the 'general' insult :laugh:.

"Sorry, I thought we were talking about the uk."

Strange, since you were reacting to this post " The IMF disagree with you, they agree with me, they say Germany should take more Syrians as it will counter their aging population. "

Just now, stevenl said:

"Sorry, I thought we were talking aboeut the uk."

Strange, since you were reacting to this post " The IMF disagree with you, they agree with me, they say Germany should take more Syrians as it will counter their aging population. "

Again - please post  the full sequence of posts!

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'm obviously missing something here - which is why it's a good idea to quote all relevant posts.

Yes, it's a pain in the neck - but better than expecting other posters to trawl back to the relevant posts!

In 2015, the UK was joint bottom in the EU, along with Portugal, for wage growth.  In the 8 years followimg the crash, British wages fell by 10% in real terms, whereas over the same period German wages grew by 14%.  Since then, Germany has introduced a minimum wage, and that too has grown, 4% last year, and that is despite the influx of hundreds of thousands of refugees.

http://www.finfacts.ie/Irish_finance_news/articleDetail.php?UK-Greece-real-wages-dip-10-in-8-years-Germany-up-14-671

https://tradingeconomics.com/germany/minimum-wages

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

The word Germany would have been a giveaway for some...

51 minutes ago, nauseus said:

IMF only concerned with it's precious GDP.  Link below from the FT last year - nearly half a million immigrants unemployable then. How many now? GDP at any price?

You can add and add to populations but eventually this policy is unsustainable and fails. 

Missed the attachment I guess.

Here it is:

https://www.ft.com/content/022de0a4-54f4-11e7-9fed-c19e2700005f

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nauseus said:

The age/longevity problem is affecting most countries globally. The best immediate way to afford more budget to all our "oldies" might be to up the taxes on the huge pharmaceutical corporation profits from selling all the "keep going" meds.

But adding and adding people who are not well educated and who take 5-10 years to train to an employable level is not going to help any economy much. Immigrants that do perform well at work will retire themselves one day and require all the social benefits of today. But many of the German immigrants are not integrating as the Turks did previously and a high percentage will remain a huge financial burden on Germany indefinitely - many of them don't even want to learn.  

Germany and the European countries would be better off investing in their native peoples and make it more attractive and affordable for them to have their own children, who could be educated from scratch, while they still have a decent education system intact. Of course this would require a major reversal in present European government policies. 

There is a birth rate and native population decline in the UK but think why has it become so expensive/umpopular to raise and educate children there? 

It's a selfish new age thing, 'drive through Paris with the wind in your hair thing' it's all about self discovery. Raising children is hard work and it is expensive, especially these days where both parents need to work to have a decent standard of living, try finding a flat to rent with two kids in tow. Southern Europeans seem to take these difficulties in their stride but even in Spain and Italy the birth rates are declining.

13 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

It's a selfish new age thing, 'drive through Paris with the wind in your hair thing' it's all about self discovery. Raising children is hard work and it is expensive, especially these days where both parents need to work to have a decent standard of living, try finding a flat to rent with two kids in tow. Southern Europeans seem to take these difficulties in their stride but even in Spain and Italy the birth rates are declining.

Last time I drove in Paris I had wind but not through my hair. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, nauseus said:

The age/longevity problem is affecting most countries globally. The best immediate way to afford more budget to all our "oldies" might be to up the taxes on the huge pharmaceutical corporation profits from selling all the "keep going" meds.

But adding and adding people who are not well educated and who take 5-10 years to train to an employable level is not going to help any economy much. Immigrants that do perform well at work will retire themselves one day and require all the social benefits of today. But many of the German immigrants are not integrating as the Turks did previously and a high percentage will remain a huge financial burden on Germany indefinitely - many of them don't even want to learn.  

Germany and the European countries would be better off investing in their native peoples and make it more attractive and affordable for them to have their own children, who could be educated from scratch, while they still have a decent education system intact. Of course this would require a major reversal in present European government policies. 

There is a birth rate and native population decline in the UK but think why has it become so expensive/umpopular to raise and educate children there? 

The German population is aging faster than the UK's, but more importantly, while the UK's population has continued to increase due to steady immigration, offsetting the aging problem with an increase of young working immigrants, Germanys population has been decreasing, further amplifying their aging issue.  While the UK population is expected to increase by 15 million in the next 40 years, Germanys population is expected to reduce by 10 million.  They actually needed a large influx of people and they were lucky that the Syrians came along as they were higher educated than average, and no, they would not be better off educating them from scratch, they would be best off if they could have an influx of professionals who did not need any further education.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34172729

5 hours ago, aright said:

Discretion is used they have to :-

Be a UK National with no restrictions on their stay.

Have lived in the UK for the last 5 years

Pass background and security checks

Pass a medical examination

Have a good level of physical fitness

Are you suggesting we have some sort of caste system and give Border officers first and second  class citizen status because restricting who they can and can't interview does just that and is not conducive to good policing. The only requirement on an officer is they interview all people with respect  

•  

How can I be interviewed by one of these people with respect? Kneeling?

It makes no senses. There are certain jobs that should just become more difficult. Most of them actually.

5 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

No, it wasn't!  The exchange rates are all on the net, it moved between 7.6 and 8.3 throughout 1972.  And its hardly Germanys fault that the pound has been devaluing steadily ever since, now being worth just 10% of what it wàs in 1973, so just what is this con that you refer to?

You were so hung up on trying to be clever the comment went over your head. Being in the armed services I was paid in local currency at the UK governments set rate of exchange which I can assure you was 11.40 in June 1972.

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I recently got a form from the UK ?? embassy to renounce my citizenship.

I'm tempted to go ahead with it, if I get Thai citizenship.

I despise the UK government, crown, and what they've done to Scotland, which could have been as rich as Norway, if it hadn't Benn for the thieving English.

The Act of Union would never have happened if it weren't for the Darien Scheme, the failed Panama Canal that left Scottish people so poor that they welcomed in the union with the English.

4 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

They are connected, we have already been in talks with some of our old colonies regarding how to make up for the anticipated labour shortfall post Brexit, we will probably see a lot more Muslim immigrants.

Over my dead body

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grouse said:

How can I be interviewed by one of these people with respect? Kneeling?

It makes no senses. There are certain jobs that should just become more difficult. Most of them actually.

How is the interviewer (British Citizen) treated with respect if he cannot be trusted to interview (spot check or suspect) a person with a different hat, beard or dress than him. Respect is a two way street. They are not untrained, insentient, morons. Of course if you wish to give more respect to the spot checkee?? or potential terrorist................... 

Duties

• checking travel documents and passports
  • questioning passengers about their travel plans, and deciding if they need further questioning
  • searching people, luggage and vehicles
  • writing case notes
  • working with the police on major cases
  • attending court as a witness

You might also take part in counter-terrorism activities or prevention of human trafficking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, transam said:

Why would Scotland be as rich as Norway in the long term...?

Not now

However the resources available to the Scots 50 years ago should and could have been handled far better than the dreadful Thatcher achieved

• Like 1