PM Prayut urges all parties concerned to help solve prostitution problem

webfact

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The current GDP estimate of tourism's contribution to Thailand's economy is 17%, so not sure where the gentleman who quotes 40% for the sex industry is sourcing his data. Of the 17%, non sex tourism would be the vast majority of it.

If sex tourism disappeared tomorrow, Pattaya would continue on with a blip on the graph showing a temporary decline before resuming it's rise in tourist numbers as the Chinese continue their unabated arrivals along with European and Russian families.

Thailand continues to be an extremely popular tourist destination worldwide regardless of political uncertainty, strong baht, tsunami's etc. 

There will be some token clean ups in places  not contributing enough tea money. Then the prices charged will rise and nothing will have changed except the takings. Just accept the sec trade and that many of the tourists (including some of their older kids) walk the streets specifically to gasp at it. Amsterdam has the same kind of tourist but it doesn't damage anything there.

Just clamp down on the number of garish signs and designate specific areas. Even if you do that you will still see family tourists going to look.

As for people with young kids they will spend 90% of their days at the beach or hotel pool. I don't remember my kids ever wanting to walk around the town or visit markets

43 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

So? Close it all down, how hard can it be? It's all a bit passé anyway. A 'playground' for uneducated ne'erdowells, and slobbering drunkards. 

The sex industry set up for Westerners is but a drop in the ocean here, compared to the "domestic" market set up Thais and SE Asians. I doubt more than 5%. It's just highly visible, ie Pattaya, Phuket, Nana, Cowboy etc.

Every Thai knows where the high class Soapy massage establishments are in EVERY city here. Every market town will have 5-10-15 knocking shops which double up as karaoke bars, many run or owned by the cops.

If they managed to do that...and they can't due to the enforcers of the law being the biggest culprits...then any further development of the North east of Thailand would come to a standstill. Does the government truly believe these areas outside of Bangkok flourish on commerce, industry and farming? 

Just another indicator of his disregard for working class thais in general.

Like the street vendors, if prayut had his way he would simply wave his hand and destroy the income of a large number of people without offering up anynkind of solution.

Forget education and social programs that may give people other alternatives, just make the bad go away and damn the consequences.

'Cause every father dreams of his daughter growing up to service old, fat, and bald men.
Maybe not the case. But way too many fathers (and the rest of the families including mothers and bone idle sons) are more than happy to sit on their asses at home bleeding their cherished daughters dry, placing ever increasing pressure on them to send more and more money home each month. I'm guessing they don't give a 5hit where the money comes from but I'm also guessing many are very happy it's from a pot bigger than what they'd have if their little darling worked in a 7.

Sent using Tapatalk

I don't think Prayut should react (as he seems to be) to some dumb comment by some guy from Gambia. Gambia can only wish it had an economy as good as Thailand's.

Likewise, who gives a toss about what a bunch of hypocrites from the West think, with their attitudes shaped by their hypocritical western religions?

1 hour ago, gunderhill said:

I  think you'll find the Thais pump  more into that hole  than any foreigners  would ever do

That would be an understatement, wouldn't be at all surprised if it was 95 /5% in favour of the pure and righteous Thai's, but then of course the guy raising the issue forgot to point out that no Thai could be involved in such a thing. 

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Is this man for real?

He opens his mouth 1 day, there is no prostitution here, next time he speaks, he wants people help solve the problem that  he says does not exist.

Better for him just shut up say nothing.

Mark Twain would have a field day with this guy :giggle:

9 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

Just another indicator of his disregard for working class thais in general.

Like the street vendors, if prayut had his way he would simply wave his hand and destroy the income of a large number of people without offering up anynkind of solution.

Forget education and social programs that may give people other alternatives, just make the bad go away and damn the consequences.

I tend to disagree, at least for the education part. My wife had no problem enrolling and completing an IT diploma at the community college, and a degree in communication at the Open University. There are indeed opportunities for those who want to further their education. But sadly the male attendance of such institutions is minimal, and the average "Mia Farang" is too busy spending farang money before she kills herself driving a BMW, which she must drive to Korat, 200km away, just for servicing. 

2 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Very few women desire such an ignominious and disagreeable "job." 

Really? Is that true? Sorry to burst your bubble but given a choice many "women" are attracted to the nightlife party scene and the excitement, "glamor" and independence it offers along with the complete lack of responsibility. 

1 minute ago, charmonman said:

I don't think Prayut should react (as he seems to be) to some dumb comment by some guy from Gambia. Gambia can only wish it had an economy as good as Thailand's.

Of course Gambia did have a great economy once. The slaves were held on the island waiting for the ships to load up. Very distressing if you have seen it.

When the farang arrive at Swampy (or another) they should be able to buy a book of tickets; say for around 5k. One shag or BJ or lick for one voucher. The girls could then buy essentials like shoes and handbags with the vouchers. Take the risk out of it for the farang also. Much fairer than the current meat-market.

2 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Then in the same breath declares no Thais can talk about it because they may draw attention to it.

He didn't say that at all.

He suggests that talking about solving the problem had gone on long enough and it is time for action.

Having said that, without specifically directing who specifically has to do what specifically, the collective "all parties concerned" will give a collective shrug, look at their feet and wait for this fresh but disproportionate scrutiny to all die down. I mean he could easily assign people and entities to make this their new priority but that may come across as a bit dictatorial... as well as shorting some well-connected revenue streams.

40 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Some might think; why kill the golden goose? Take the girls away from the centers and the pussy chasers would go elsewhere.

The way to go is too pay the girls more to keep their legs closed than to open them up. I favour a voucher system but I doubt than Ch-o-cha could get his head around that. He is after all a soldier who has not mastered any English.

Paying them to keep their legs closed would just end up in double dipping, excuse the pun - and not solve the problem, and why does he need to have mastered English? 

8 minutes ago, fullcave said:

Really? Is that true? Sorry to burst your bubble but given a choice many "women" are attracted to the nightlife party scene and the excitement, "glamor" and independence it offers along with the complete lack of responsibility. 

Another bold statement. To make it stand I would say: "some women, in a certain stage of their lives".

7 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Of course Gambia did have a great economy once. The slaves were held on the island waiting for the ships to load up. Very distressing if you have seen it.

When the farang arrive at Swampy (or another) they should be able to buy a book of tickets; say for around 5k. One shag or BJ or lick for one voucher. The girls could then buy essentials like shoes and handbags with the vouchers. Take the risk out of it for the farang also. Much fairer than the current meat-market.

Or save a few vouchers and start a watch collection. 

3 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Yes right,get rid of the charm of Thailand, what is a bar without the sexy, joking, laughing girls.

Get rid of the bars, far too many in some places. Seems that you think Pattay is the charm of Thailand.

Archived