Second hand guitar

Ian1980

Just get one from Lazada delivered to your door step.

loads of cheep ones.

The pawn shops in Pattaya are a rip off and the music shops as well.

unless you know what your doing,  just save yourself frustration and get from lazada online.  :jap:

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Like 2

Do your daughter a favor. When you buy the guitar try to take someone who can play reasonably well to evaluate your purchase and tell you if it is playable. Some things look like guitars but are so badly made even an expert could not manage to make it sound good. You can get a cheap guitar that might sound and play well but don't take pot luck or you could end up with worthless junk. 

If your daughter really wants to learn to play every encouragement should be given right from the start.

Other things to consider are nylon vs steel strings. Steel can be tough on soft fingers so invest in some light gauge ones even if the guitar is already strung. Find someone to lower the action too ( height of strings from fretboard ) as this can make playing a lot easier.

Edited by Denim
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Just get one from Lazada delivered to your door step.

loads of cheep ones.

unless you know what your doing,  just save yourself frustration and get from lazada online.  :jap:

My son aged 13 saved his pocket money and bought this one from Lazada.

Sakura กีต้าร์โปร่ง 14 ข้อ 41" รุ่น BFG 4116C N แถมกระเป๋าใส่กีตาร์

No warranty available

2,190 ฿× 1

Until then he had borrowed one from his uncle.

He does enjoy playing it and to my partly deaf ears he is fairly good at it. He generally plays/practices 30 minutes to an hour a day.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Denim said:

Do your daughter a favor. When you buy the guitar try to take someone who can play reasonably well to evaluate your purchase and tell you if it is playable. Some things look like guitars but are so badly made even an expert could not manage to make it sound good. You can get a cheap guitar that might sound and play well but don't take pot luck or you could end up with worthless junk. 

If your daughter really wants to learn to play every encouragement should be given right from the start.

Other things to consider are nylon vs steel strings. Steel can be tough on soft fingers so invest in some light gauge ones even if the guitar is already strung. Find someone to lower the action too ( height of strings from fretboard ) as this can make playing a lot easier.

I bought an Epiphone Pro 1 for 3500 4 years ago from Lazza.

it plays better than the 21,000 baht Yamaha i have aswell.

The guy just wants a starter guitar, most kids will strum around on a guitar for a few months, then it will just sit in the corner of the bedroom.

My advice would be get ( depending on her size ) a nylon strung 3/4 or full size acoustic, cheap one on lazada.

If she is still playing it a year latter, go buy a descent one.

don't bother with expensive stuff to start with.

Loads of reviews on line to watch about guitars :thumbsup:

Op you could try Baht and sold, sometimes one or two come up on there.

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, FracturedRabbit said:

Go south on Sukhumvit. Just before the Huay Yai junction there is a shop that sells second hand everything including guitars; and it conveniently has a large guitar near the entrance! It's called Suriya music.

23109023793_c8a6f0b7c0_b.jpg

Don't bother,  all over priced.

But nice to walk around that shop, very interesting.

and nice staff.

Edited by stanleycoin

18 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Have you priced or bought any musical instruments at any of the many Pattaya pawn shops? There must be nigh on 100 of them in the area.

I bought a 20 year-old, Japanese-built Fender Precision Bass at a pawn shop on Third last year. He was asking 15k baht when I first checked. It was marked down to 13k a month later and I beat him down to 10k in the end. I had to replace the pre-amp with one I found on eBay.

If you know what you are looking for, there are bargains to be had. I suggest that the OP bring a friend who knows about guitars when he goes shopping.

Good luck!

5 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Have you priced or bought any musical instruments at any of the many Pattaya pawn shops? There must be nigh on 100 of them in the area.

I bought a 20 year-old, Japanese-built Fender Precision Bass at a pawn shop on Third last year. He was asking 15k baht when I first checked. It was marked down to 13k a month later and I beat him down to 10k in the end. I had to replace the pre-amp with one I found on eBay.

If you know what you are looking for, there are bargains to be had. I suggest that the OP bring a friend who knows about guitars when he goes shopping.

Good luck!

No i walked out of them all

after they tried to rip me off.

you only get one change with me in Thailand.

so after they drop the price by half,  i'm still out the door.

But good luck traipsing around only to be disappointed.

Edited by stanleycoin

Hello,

I was just at Central Mall and on the 3rd floor, opposite Watson's Drug store.  There is a small stand with guitars of many styles.  Perhaps that would be an easy place for you to find a guitar.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FracturedRabbit said:

Go south on Sukhumvit. Just before the Huay Yai junction there is a shop that sells second hand everything including guitars; and it conveniently has a large guitar near the entrance! It's called Suriya music.

23109023793_c8a6f0b7c0_b.jpg

Yes, I bought a new Indonesian Yamaha from there, great action and sound, 5000baht, play before you buy. They must have about a hundred to choose from, some new and some secondhand.

Pictured on the left.

20180301_160142.jpg

Edited by vogie

• 8 months later...
On 3/1/2018 at 3:58 PM, vogie said:

Yes, I bought a new Indonesian Yamaha from there, great action and sound, 5000baht, play before you buy. They must have about a hundred to choose from, some new and some secondhand.

Pictured on the left.

20180301_160142.jpg

yeah...I bought a 2nd hand yamaha like the one pictured but the action is for shit and I tore up my fingers trying to play it (haven't played in many years)...a dude had a music stall set up at the entrance to the big tescos in Suphanburi and he sold it for 4k and some change...gotta get it to someone who can do the necessary adjustment, file down the nut, etc...

I bought an identical one in Prince George, B.C. about 45 years ago, good action and etc and then left it with a quebecois girl who wanted to learn how to play to her delight and disbelief, I was teaching her how to play using old blues and pop tunes...for me no biggie as I was about to go on the road back to California and didn't want the encumbrance...traveling light is more important when yer a bum on the road and she was a nice girl anyway...always wondered if she's still got the guitar...