Surat Thani governor orders ban on new gun licenses on three tourist islands in wake of "terrible and shocking" double beach murder

webfact

Surat Thani governor orders ban on new gun licenses on three tourist islands in wake of "terrible and shocking" double beach murder

7pm.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

The Surat Thani governor Wichawut Jinto has ordered a ban on new gun licences in Koh Samui, Koh Pangan and Koh Tao.

The news comes in the wake of the Tuesday shooting incident between two men from rival jet-ski families in front of hundreds of tourists on Chaweng Beach.

Both men - Sunthareeya Chaipetch, 45, and Tinaphop Petcharat, 26, are now reported dead, said Manager.

The Surat chief of police Apichart Bunsrirot described the daylight shootings in front of tourists enjoying a relaxing time at the beach as "terrible and shocking".

He said such an incident was unprecedented on a tourist beach and threatened to damage confidence in the tourism industry.

He said both guns used in the incident - a magnum and a Beretta - were legally registered under the P12 ordinance.

The incident was a dispute between two jet-ski families, he said.

The governor of Surat Thaini said that an immediate ban on new gun licences on the three islands was now in place and a review was taking place.

It may be permanent for all residents of Samui, Pangang and Koh Tao as these areas were tourist islands and need to be protected from such shooting outrages as occurred Tuesday.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-01

45 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

This is really funny. Samui and the southern islands are famous the world over, for being lawless zones. They always have been. They may be long into the future. When the army was busy cleaning up the rest of the country, they left Samui alone. They barely made a ripple, and everyone knows how impotent they are, when it comes to Samui and Dark Tao. There are alot of buried secrets on those two islands. Now, the weak Surat governor Wichawut has egg on his face, from international news, and is playing the latest deflector game. What nonsense. What hyperbole. What BS. What a load of crap this man is trying to pass off. Licenses? What percentage of guns on Samui are licensed, you fool? What control of the local gangs have you ever even attempted, you impotent charlatan? 

When the general was in power for 1 year he sent the army to Samui (iirc) to arrest a big wig gangboss....he dropped SEALS on the roof of his estate and at the neighbours, loads of them, to arrest that guy.

It is the only time i heard abour BKK doing something in the South...they have no control over those provinces it seems to me, also they can't be bothered by that.

2 jetski-renters involved in a shooting on Chaweng (most famous one) beach when loads of tourists are there, if the big general doesn't do anything now they better give the whole south to Malaysia or so.

1 hour ago, Thian said:

When the general was in power for 1 year he sent the army to Samui (iirc) to arrest a big wig gangboss....he dropped SEALS on the roof of his estate and at the neighbours, loads of them, to arrest that guy.

It is the only time i heard abour BKK doing something in the South...they have no control over those provinces it seems to me, also they can't be bothered by that.

2 jetski-renters involved in a shooting on Chaweng (most famous one) beach when loads of tourists are there, if the big general doesn't do anything now they better give the whole south to Malaysia or so.

My guess is that the family was not paying their share. It is all about the money, for the police, the army and the government. It begins and ends with cash. That is the full extent of the story. Someone did something to piss someone off. It was that simple. It was never about law enforcement. It never is. Especially with Little P. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cooked said:

They actually HAD licenses? 

Not only that, they are stated to have had Por 12 carry permits, which are quite distinct from the general Por 4 license to own a firearm. It's usually very hard, if not impossible, for an 'ordinary' gun owner to get a Por 12 permit. Typically is is restricted to state officials or others involved in law enforcement or similar activities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Wallander4 said:

So now you just need to take care of the 10 million illegal guns in Thailand ...

Maybe you think the police in your own country has any power or possibilities to do anything about illegal possession of guns?

Dream on.......

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

My guess is that the family was not paying their share. It is all about the money, for the police, the army and the government. It begins and ends with cash. That is the full extent of the story. Someone did something to piss someone off. It was that simple. It was never about law enforcement. It never is. Especially with Little P. 

Your last statement illustrates how far your ability to distinguish facts from fantasy has gone down the drain.

You really think it was any better when the former government was doing their thing?

Think again, it was much worse before.

• Like 1

They actually HAD licenses? 
That was my thought. When I was looking in to it it was next to impossible to get licence for Thai even cop.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This is really funny. Samui and the southern islands are famous the world over, for being lawless zones. They always have been. <snip>. Now, the weak Surat governor Wichawut has egg on his face, from international news, and is playing the latest deflector game. What nonsense. What hyperbole. What BS. What a load of crap this man is trying to pass off. Licenses? What percentage of guns on Samui are licensed, you fool? What control of the local gangs have you ever even attempted, you impotent charlatan? 

Whilst I normally disagree with your anti Samui posts which are clearly due to your bitter and twisted nature, I agree with you on this one .... :wink:

7 hours ago, hansnl said:

Your last statement illustrates how far your ability to distinguish facts from fantasy has gone down the drain.

You really think it was any better when the former government was doing their thing?

Think again, it was much worse before.

Sorry, can you clarify the difference, please?

• Thanks 1

Many are missing the point, IMO. Sure, some folks will always manage to get a gun, somewhere. They will ot, however, probably carry it all the time.
These guys, however they managed it, (brown envelopes?), had licenses to carry their weapons, and did so with impunity. A dust up happened and they grabbed their guns.
Many who carry illegally are a bit more circumspect about how and where, the pros are at least.

8 hours ago, TheLobster said:

Whilst I normally disagree with your anti Samui posts which are clearly due to your bitter and twisted nature, I agree with you on this one .... :wink:

Sorry, can you clarify the difference, please?

I do not consider myself to be either bitter or twisted. Well, maybe a little bit twisted. LOL. I lived on Samui for a very long time. When I first arrived there it was a fairly tranquil place. Over the years, it got very developed, and traffic became quite severe. I saw the island change before my eyes. So, alot of this just has to do with experience, and seeing it with my own eyes. I still think Samui is a gorgeous island. I just do not enjoy the congestion anymore, and the dangers of the ring road. It has changed, whether you want to admit it, or not. And I do not think it is changing for the better.

21 hours ago, Thian said:

Surat Thani is south but not “deep south”. I think you are confused about where the problem is. It is in the Deep South. 

22 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Not only that, they are stated to have had Por 12 carry permits, which are quite distinct from the general Por 4 license to own a firearm. It's usually very hard, if not impossible, for an 'ordinary' gun owner to get a Por 12 permit. Typically is is restricted to state officials or others involved in law enforcement or similar activities.

Or thoe who pay a bribe

21 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I do not consider myself to be either bitter or twisted. Well, maybe a little bit twisted. LOL. I lived on Samui for a very long time. When I first arrived there it was a fairly tranquil place. Over the years, it got very developed, and traffic became quite severe. I saw the island change before my eyes. So, alot of this just has to do with experience, and seeing it with my own eyes. I still think Samui is a gorgeous island. I just do not enjoy the congestion anymore, and the dangers of the ring road. It has changed, whether you want to admit it, or not. And I do not think it is changing for the better.

But then I struggle to think of a place where things got better over the last 10 years. Either places don't change (and are fairly basic) or they get better in the shortterm before they get overrun and trashed. Seems in our nature to make a mess of nice places. 

So what you say might be true but I would argue that most nice places with some kind of modern infrastructure will go the same way as Samui after a while.

4 hours ago, huberthammer said:

But then I struggle to think of a place where things got better over the last 10 years. Either places don't change (and are fairly basic) or they get better in the shortterm before they get overrun and trashed. Seems in our nature to make a mess of nice places. 

So what you say might be true but I would argue that most nice places with some kind of modern infrastructure will go the same way as Samui after a while.

While there is some truth to what you say, Samui is an extreme example of this tendency, due to the astonishing lack of pride in the place, by the locals, the officials and the governor. There is very little being done to really take care of the place. Granted they did some work on the sewers, and the roads, but that was a necessity in order to maintain the place, and keep things running. They do a beautification project now and then. But, in terms of cleanup, and the pride that goes along with keeping a gorgeous island in good shape, it just does not exist. 

• Like 1

The only way they will learn is if tourists (via international media and information on booking websites), plainly boycott those lawless islands....but then we all know how careless, irresponsabile and foolish some tourists can get when it comes to their vacation....so some fine days ahead for the far west islands !!