I'm charged with money laundering?

SerenityLane

I have never traded in bitcoins but I have investigated the system.

Unlike a normal currency exchange there is no central bank that you can buy from and sell to.

So somebody has to sell you their bitcoins or somebody has to buy your bitcoins.

The problem is you don't know who. It could be anybody.

In this case it was between you and a criminal.

So you become responsible for whatever the criminal is accused of.

Since the transactions are supposed to be anonymous how did the police find out?

It cannot be as anonymous as all that.

Why deal on Localbitcoins and not on a real exchange like BX, TDAX or coins.co.th? Rates on Localbitcoins are much worse and you definitely end up with way more loss than paying SWIFT fees! Makes no sense.

• Like 2

The world is slowly realising that Crypto and their applications are already being accepted by huge corporations into their operations and the vested interests who will not benefit eg banks, are now circumventing and absorbing it into their operations. Bitcoin and similar, eg Litecoin is the future of currency . And Ethereum and similar is the future of the internet. 

This complaint is lame and I would not be surprised there is more to it or nothing at all.

• Like 1

You are required by law to know and adhere to the "know your clients" rules which are the same the world over.

In your OP you have clearly admitted to breaking the law with regard to anti-money laundering laws, by admitting you do not know your clients, that is a criminal offence, definitely in the U.K. and in the USA. I'm sure Thailand has similar laws. 

Edited by britishrepublican

On 3/5/2018 at 6:08 PM, jobsworth said:

Unlike a normal currency exchange there is no central bank that you can buy from and sell to.

So somebody has to sell you their bitcoins or somebody has to buy your bitcoins.

Since the transactions are supposed to be anonymous how did the police find out?

Thats why i prefer Buying Gold Bullion to Crypto, thru Karatbars, 10 year old German Company, also has an incredible business opportunity tied into it , take say 100 Euros of your money each month buy Gold Bullion with it , have it stored for Free in Stuttgart or have it delivered via Fed ex fully insured to your Address here in Thailand, fully registered and compliant in over 100 Countries,including Thailand,

Edited by Rimmer

57 minutes ago, me4175 said:

Why deal on Localbitcoins and not on a real exchange like BX, TDAX or coins.co.th? Rates on Localbitcoins are much worse and you definitely end up with way more loss than paying SWIFT fees! Makes no sense.

I prefer local bitcoins to any trading site,,,,,,I find nd it’s actually better rates and money is going straight in your bank with no fees

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jobsworth said:

That's not correct. There are Cryptocurrency Exchanges where you know with whom you're dealing and you can avoid such unpleasant surprises like in the OP.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Acemaker said:

Thats why i prefer Buying Gold Bullion to Crypto, thru Karatbars, 10 year old German Company, also has an incredible business opportunity tied into it , take say 100 Euros of your money each month buy Gold Bullion with it , have it stored for Free in Stuttgart or have it delivered via Fed ex fully insured to your Address here in Thailand, fully registered and compliant in over 100 Countries,including Thailand, message me anytime for more info.

Is it legal to send and receive, gold in Thailand? Are there any Customs charges on gold imports/exports?

39 minutes ago, me4175 said:

All legal crypto exchanges in Thailand will ask for proper identification.

Just because an exchange asks for a passport does not make it 100% safe or that you know who you are dealing with,,,it’s not difficult to send in picture of doctored or fake passport.

in the U.K. when selling on certain selling platforms you have to ask for picture of bank card where payment is coming from you can then match the name from m bank card to sellers name.

fraud is everywhere when selling bitcoins many sellers will not sell to new accounts s or accounts with less than 10 feedback.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, taninthai said:

I prefer local bitcoins to any trading site,,,,,,I find nd it’s actually better rates and money is going straight in your bank with no fees

I challenge you to show me a better price to buy Bitcoin on LBC any time. From what I can see there's always at least 3% surcharge on LBC.
There's a price for dealing outside of the system.

If you find a nice guy who pays you more than he has to for your Bitcoin, good for you of course. But you may end up in a situation like OP...

26 minutes ago, me4175 said:

I challenge you to show me a better price to buy Bitcoin on LBC any time. From what I can see there's always at least 3% surcharge on LBC.
There's a price for dealing outside of the system.

If you find a nice guy who pays you more than he has to for your Bitcoin, good for you of course. But you may end up in a situation like OP...

Lbc depends if you post a trade or just steam straight in and buy of a trader,yes if you are posting a trade you pay a % anyway there is a screenshot from 5 mins ago lbc cheaper then glax.

8215 on gdax or 8145 on lbc.

no messing about loading money onto an exchange ,it don’t get any easier??

C3A043C1-DA0C-4C31-9C03-262D277FCE09.png

Edited by taninthai
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, taninthai said:

Lbc depends if you post a trade or just steam straight in and buy of a trader,yes if you are posting a trade you pay a % anyway there is a screenshot from 5 mins ago lbc cheaper then glax.

8215 on gdax or 8145 on lbc.

no messing about loading money onto an exchange ,it don’t get any easier??

I thought this thread was about trading in Thailand, sorry if I misunderstood.

20 hours ago, jobsworth said:

I can tell your knowledge is limited. 

Most folk buy and sell on an exchange...period. Its a market place with normal buyers and sellers. 

i see OP has gone dark, but i would like him to answer the true origins of his bitcoins

how did he get them all exactly?

if he has proof he bought them legitimately, then it would be no problem to prove his innocence.

but to me this story sounds fishy.

maybe he was paid a percent to sell bitcoins here and transfer money back? (most plausible)

if so, or if the bitcoins have bad origins (ie darkweb deals or bit mixers or organized crime), and if he was aware or not of this, it would make more sense that this is why the police are after him.

if he is an innocent as he is acting (which i doubt we are getting the full story), then he would have no worries

I agree the story sounds a bit strange op could have easily been cashing out bit coins from a crime syndicate,my bank made it clear to me that you cannot have people you don’t know paying money into your bank account or have money paid into your bank when you do not know where it’s coming from.

on local bitcoins it’s quite easy to spot genuine traders and sellers and as a general rule you would stick to dealing with one or two  of the same traders all the time.

story below shows just what can happen.although this story stinks of entrapment .

https://news.bitcoin.com/24-year-old-sent-to-prison-for-selling-bitcoin-to-undercover-agents/

• Like 1

another reason why i think there is more to this story is because i have cashed out more bitcoins here then op says he has (allegedly). mine came from different places as well, but i know were not anywhere near illegal.

so i dont see how they picked him up for this and i have been doing it for years.....

very odd

i have a feeling these people from out of country were sending it directly to his exchange account here, then him selling them and putting the money in his account. very easy for the exchange to see, and authorities.

then they look at his bank account quick and see what kind of visa he has....... and boom, wanted for questioning. which is understandable if you are sending millions of baht of bitcoin into the country then taking thais money. the government wont like that one bit!

8 hours ago, taninthai said:

story below shows just what can happen.although this story stinks of entrapment .

https://news.bitcoin.com/24-year-old-sent-to-prison-for-selling-bitcoin-to-undercover-agents/

Hardly an innocent guy just trading some bitcoin once or twice and being too naive to ask for ID. That guy did a turnover of $1.5 million over two years, all that while being in jail for drug charges..

13 hours ago, XGM said:

Hardly an innocent guy just trading some bitcoin once or twice and being too naive to ask for ID. That guy did a turnover of $1.5 million over two years, all that while being in jail for drug charges..

That’s the press and government side of the story........can’t beleive much of what they say ,they are fully against a decentralised system and are just as corrupt as Thailand.

https://youtu.be/FJ00lv9w0F4. That’s the guys side of the story.........

On 3/5/2018 at 3:07 PM, Autonuaq said:

Bitcoins was/is prohibited in thailand to trade in.

So fist you have to check if they lifted this ban on bitcoins.

Then bitcoins are not exchangable by the normal banks.

If so they you suppose to the the declaration form provided by the bank

If you put in cash money then you need to have a slip too.

How you exchange the bitcoins.

Thailand is the country of the paperwork and love trees on their desks.

Who told you so? I know there is no ban on bitcoin in Thailand and just recently (after this story happened) a minister advised publicly banks to not deal with crypto.