Everyone's to blame as new junta baht bus regulations ignored in Pattaya

webfact

Everyone's to blame as new junta baht bus regulations ignored in Pattaya

42.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable

Sophon Cable TV said everyone was to blame for the failure of new measures to regulate the baht buses or song thaews of Pattaya.

Locals,tourists and operators alike were refusing to follow the rules designed to promote order and safety on the roads of the resort.

Many are saying that it has all been a waste of time and money with stops in the wrong places.

Some 200 baht bus stops were painted on the roads. The authorities, acting on orders from the military government to smarten up Pattaya, wanted people to get on and off at designated spots to alleviate traffic and safety problems.

But this is being ignored, said Sophon, as tourists and locals alike continue to do as they please. And operators, mindful of the convenience that this attitude affords, refuse to comply with the rules.

41.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable

Locals are also complaining that many of the bus stops are in the wrong place. One woman called Ngamsom, 51, said that everyone knew before where the bus would stop outside the old market in Na Klua.

But now the authorities fine the drivers if they stop there. The result is no buses for the people where they need them, she said.

Sophon said that the public were calling for a rethink of the whole issue.

Source: Sophon Cable

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-02
  • Haha 1

In BKK the big buses even are too lazy to stop on the most left lane, even if there are no cars/taxi's parked there. Very dangerous and annoying.

They also like to race those buses and cut off other roadusers when they have to stop.

But as always, it's the fault of the police because they won't do anything at all...

Bahtbuses should get banned for always, buses needs proper busstops and taxi's/minivans shouldn't be allowed to park on the main roads... But it will never happen since this is Thailand, even a big general can't change that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Agree with mercman24. The bahtbus on loops is a good system :smile:. Rather than banning them, I would bans all other vehicles ! Imagine Beach Road or Soi Buakhao with only motorbikes, bahtbus (and maybe delivery vehicles at some hours); I am sure it would work nicely :smile:

The bahtbuses all horned to me while walkingn around, very annoying.

Pattaya better has a big open bus on which you can hop on and off and pay with some card...

I don't care if it costs 10 baht, they'll cheat me anyway so i would rather pay 50 baht for a nice bus and pay by card.

6 hours ago, robblok said:

I think, that the baht busses indeed should have regulated stops and those stops should not be at traffic problem points. So sure some people will complain its less convenient for them (but good for traffic flow). But the problem is as usual enforcement. Just put the army on it 24/7 for a few months and you will see a change in attitude. The cops don't want to do their work let the army do it. 

In BKK you see it too that the unregulated stopping of vans and busses causes huge traffic problems but the cops wont enforce the rules.

Yes, the stops should be at places that do not cause traffic problems, fines for parking at marked bus stops, fines for even waiting (more than 30 seconds) at a marked stops, fines for passengers who alight when the bus slows down for traffic lights or traffic congestion but not at a stop.

This should be backed up with clear public information on using public transport.

The best way of crossing the road is to wait for a baht bus to stop and as the traffic slows to move around it, walk across. Why does the beach road/2nd road need better traffic flow? It is a tourist area mainly, so should cater for tourists on the baht buses and not people wanting to take a short cut through to Jomtien etc. They can easily use 3rd road. If traffic flows better on Beach Rd it is much more dangerous for pedestrians. It should really have speed humps to slow the traffic not the opposite.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:27 PM, mercman24 said:

stupid comment banning baht buses they are there for a purpose, cheap thai transport,they are a boon in Jomtien, walk outside my condo, get on a baht bus , into Pattaya all for 10 baht, so what do you suggest waiting 1 hour for a 41 seater to show up, nah !!

He probably drives a car and is annoyed because the baht buses stop him driving fast.

19 hours ago, Basil B said:

Yes, the stops should be at places that do not cause traffic problems, fines for parking at marked bus stops, fines for even waiting (more than 30 seconds) at a marked stops, fines for passengers who alight when the bus slows down for traffic lights or traffic congestion but not at a stop.

This should be backed up with clear public information on using public transport.

I have absolutely no desire for Thailand to become a replica of the over regulated <deleted> I moved to LOS to escape.

I don't say this very often, but if anyone wants an over regulated hole like the place they came from, I politely suggest they go back and live there.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Agree with mercman24. The bahtbus on loops is a good system :smile:. Rather than banning them, I would bans all other vehicles ! Imagine Beach Road or Soi Buakhao with only motorbikes, bahtbus (and maybe delivery vehicles at some hours); I am sure it would work nicely :smile:

I'd LOVE to ban all the private cars and tour buses in Pattaya along Beach and Second. It would make me laugh seeing all the hi so people having to use baht buses instead of their huge and dangerous SUVs.

Good job.

:cheesy:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I have absolutely no desire for Thailand to become a replica of the over regulated <deleted> I moved to LOS to escape.

I don't say this very often, but if anyone wants an over regulated hole like the place they came from, I politely suggest they go back and live there.

But not everywhere has the traffic chaos like Pattaya's much caused  by passengers getting off baht buses while waiting at traffic lights and paying while the lights change...

On 3/2/2018 at 1:24 PM, Pattaya46 said:

Why not ban those bl#@dy tour buses blocking the roads in Pattaya? Let them all park in North Pattaya only...

• Thanks 1

Baht buses are not the problem; they provide a cheap about-town transport system which is an antidote to the Police-blessed meterless taximeters.  The real problem  are the ones that don''t operate as a continuous fleet but hang about plying for hire like private taxis.  These could be easily removed from cluttering the street by a proper police force.

• Like 2

On 3/2/2018 at 5:09 PM, Basil B said:

How about fines for people who can not relax and go with the flow..

• Thanks 1

On 3/2/2018 at 4:32 PM, Thian said:

The bahtbuses all horned to me while walkingn around, very annoying.

Pattaya better has a big open bus on which you can hop on and off and pay with some card...

I don't care if it costs 10 baht, they'll cheat me anyway so i would rather pay 50 baht for a nice bus and pay by card.

Why not take a taxi and really ride in style....Us poor folks love the baht buses...

So, if it is not working, who is to blame? The tourists flagging down baht buses on the road? The baht buses for stopping for them? The BIB for not enforcing? This sounds like the Singapore system. They have something that works for them. Not saying I like it. But does it work?

Personally, I get tired of waiting for a baht bus running the regular circuit while 10 others pass me by looking for a private passenger.  I think there are a lot bigger problems on this road.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:17 PM, Basil B said:

But not everywhere has the traffic chaos like Pattaya's much caused  by passengers getting off baht buses while waiting at traffic lights and paying while the lights change...

Well, ban the cars and tour buses then and the problem goes away. Win win.

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:17 PM, Basil B said:

Actually it's great when the baht buses hold up the traffic, as it's the only time we can safely cross the road, because the rat bags in private cars go too fast.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1