SURVEY: Tougher penalities for drugs -- Good or Bad?

Scott

Do you agree with the President's plan for tougher penalties for drugs, particularly opioids?  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

Therefore, according to your missive, everyone involved with alcohol should be executed.

You haven't captured the correct meaning from my post (or maybe you meant to quote PhonThong as that's who seems to be in favor of executing people).  Here's what I said, within the context of what I quoted:

5a9ccc54a2c67_quote30.PNG.3196f3f4906be670d462a19899edd88a.PNG

That means I am not currently in favor of the death penalty for drug dealers, and I wouldn't "change my tune" even if my child were harmed by a drug dealer's actions.

Ethanol is a legalized, highly regulated and refined drug, just as all other (presently illegal) recreational drugs should be.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PhonThong said:

For those that voted against death penalties for dealers would surely change your tune if one of your sons or daughters died as a result of drugs bought off of a drug dealer.  What are you going to say?  They knew what they were getting into when they went down this road? So, let's not blame the dealer for all the death he or she is spreading on our city streets.

Exactly ! should cars be forbidden because some stupid people die in them ? Ridiculous. People who are not able to teach or control their kids should not have any. And if they die anyway, this is destiny, not because of drug dealers.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, attrayant said:

No I wouldn't, because that would make me a hypocrite.  I've considered many potential outcomes including the possibility that some one in my family might suffer because of a position I advocated.

"Let's not blame the dealer" is not the same as "let's not kill the dealer".  If my daughter dies because she bought some drugs from a dealer, then we kill the dealer?  Great - now we have two dead people instead of one.  Aside from satisfying some knuckle-dragging, reptilian-brained need for revenge, how has that helped my situation?

If I am doing my job as a parent, and society is doing its job of providing safe communities and support systems, then my daughter shouldn't be going down that road in the first place.

I was thinking, maybe someone else would not have to go through the same suffering of a family that lost a child to drugs.  Shame on me.....for thinking of someone else.

3 hours ago, attrayant said:

You haven't captured the correct meaning from my post (or maybe you meant to quote PhonThong as that's who seems to be in favor of executing people).  Here's what I said, within the context of what I quoted:

5a9ccc54a2c67_quote30.PNG.3196f3f4906be670d462a19899edd88a.PNG

That means I am not currently in favor of the death penalty for drug dealers, and I wouldn't "change my tune" even if my child were harmed by a drug dealer's actions.

Ethanol is a legalized, highly regulated and refined drug, just as all other (presently illegal) recreational drugs should be.

Apologies to you, attrayant.  I misread your earlier response, thinking you were in favor of death for dealers.   At this juncture, according to the poll, 16 of 120 respondents think dealers should be executed.  That's sobering and a bit sad.  I instead direct my missive toward them.

21 hours ago, Grouse said:

Poorly worded poll. Dealers in opioids only? 

read the latest Jack Reacher?

Drugs have caused two major disasters in my family. One died of a heroin  overdose. Another has ruined her life due to crystal meth.

Legalising marajhana is fine. For the others, death is appropriate for pushers.

Yes I have read the latest Jack Reacher - Midnight Run. The heroin overdose was IMHO probably due to the fact street heroin is widely variable in potency. If legalised, the true concentration would be known.

Crystal meth is another beast,although it's worth noting another Jack Reacher book referred to its legal World War 2 use with combatants on both sides.

Pushers would not exist if drug use was decriminalised.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Grouse said:

Poorly worded poll. Dealers in opioids only? read the latest Jack Reacher? Drugs have caused two major disasters in my family. One died of a heroin  overdose. Another has ruined her life due to crystal meth. Legalising marajhana is fine. For the others, death is appropriate for pushers.

How many people die from alcohol-related and pharma-related problems each day?  5,000?   10,000? 25,000?.

It's sad when anyone dies from a drug overdose - though usually, even with heroin or meth, there's also alcohol involved.  Misuse of drugs should be dealt with as a social and/or medical issue, not by law enforcement and prison system.   Law enforcement deals with problems like a sledgehammer deals with surgery.  Better to use education, transition drugs, discussions, clean needle programs.

The current failed system encourages abusers to hide in dark corners and steer clear of authorities.  It would be better to draw them in, and try dealing together with the problem.  Sunlight is the best disinfectant. 

Some of your favorite music is written/produced/performed by druggies.  If cardboard cut-out moralists were in charge, they would have shown up at a gig where Ray Charles or Johnny Cash or Bob Marley or John Lennon or Janis Joplin or Jimi Hendrix or Jim Morrison or Paul Simon or Paul McCartney or Willie Nelson, Crosby, Stills, Young, or any one of a million great musicians/performers were performing,  hauled them off to court and killed them.  Same for iconic entertainers like Marilyn Monroe, Richard Pryor, Jack Nicholson, ......the list goes on.   About the only musician/performer not killed by holier-than-thou moralists would be Tiny Tim (and I'm not sure he was not a drug taker). 

The penalty can be more severe or not but the investagion leading to retribution would need to be flawless...I would not like to see even 1 person, wrongly charged and innocent to end up either in jail or worse, get the lethal injection.

• Like 1

Drugs are nearly as integral a part of human history as sex.  Religionists/moralists would also like to outlaw sex, but grudgingly concede it's necessary to make babies - to add to their numbers (and when the babies grow up, they'll put money in the collection plates).