Sukhumvit recommendations

Phatbeets

1 minute ago, Justfine said:

I prefer farang free places.

Ah yes, a reverse racist. Or just a millennial. I am sadly a refugee from the bygone days of yore. But the thread is interesting places on Sukhumvit.

On 14/03/2018 at 2:25 PM, dddave said:

Yes, on the corner of Sukhumvit.  Looks like a kebeb stand on the soi-5 side.  Used to be a Thai restaurant with the dining area below street level.

If it's the same one I'm thinking of it's called Al Rawche.  Their mint/lemon is the best I've ever tasted, even compared to the ones I've had in the Middle East.

56 minutes ago, rott said:

Ah yes, a reverse racist. Or just a millennial. I am sadly a refugee from the bygone days of yore. But the thread is interesting places on Sukhumvit.

Nothing to do with race. Prices and food quality changes for the worse once a restaurant becomes a farang hangout.

22 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Nothing to do with race. Prices and food quality changes for the worse once a restaurant becomes a farang hangout.

So you travel over the river for lower prices?

Living in Nakhon Sawan I am no stranger to farang free eating and drinking places and I prefer paying 75 for a large Leo here to paying 130ish for a small one in Lower Suk.  I like my regular trips to BKK, sorry but I can not add any recs for the area for the OP. Possibly the pizza gaff at Asoke BTS on Suk, or Ruby Blue bar (between Sois 19/21) for a happy hour drink.

1 hour ago, SooKee said:

If it's the same one I'm thinking of it's called Al Rawche.  Their mint/lemon is the best I've ever tasted, even compared to the ones I've had in the Middle East.

Yes, that's the place I was referring to.  Thanks for providing the name.

the landmark hotel between soi 4 and Nana station. I prefer the steak house on the top floor. But there are pubs restaurant etc in this location.  Soi 4 for bars..... Soi 6 and cut through to Soi 8. Cross over to Soi 11 to check out.. Check Inn 99 in it's new location... Soi 7 for the rather weird Vacant lot restaurant. 

for great beef try Fogos or El Toro

On 3/20/2018 at 5:24 AM, Justfine said:

It's a tacky tourist ghetto.

5 star sofitel hotel opened recently 3 min walk to Nana BTS.  The 5 star Hyatt regency opens August cnr soi 13  under 2 min walk to Nana BTS

The Q condominium half finished and has a walk way directly to Nana BTS... condo prices $1 million to $5 million USA DOLLARS !

Some pretty wealthy ghetto tourists LOL

I bought 12 years ago around the corner from Nana Bts when it actually was a ghetto. You would cry if you knew what I Paid back then

Love the vibe although a lot crazier back then but prefer it now with the footpaths liberated of all the trashy blind drunk tourists, sleaze and countless lady boys and the big number of Nigerians that the all night open air street bars along sukhimvit attracted between 12-5am. The army did good in cleaning all that up

So near what jungle is your dwelling ? :biggrin::biggrin:

the landmark hotel between soi 4 and Nana station. I prefer the steak house on the top floor. But there are pubs restaurant etc in this location.  Soi 4 for bars..... Soi 6 and cut through to Soi 8. Cross over to Soi 11 to check out.. Check Inn 99 in it's new location... Soi 7 for the rather weird Vacant lot restaurant. 
for great beef try Fogos or El Toro
Has Check Inn 99 moved back again? It was above Zak's IIRC in Soi 11 but relocated a year or so ago to Soi 33. Spent a fortune on that place, surprised if they've gone back to 11.

Sent using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, SooKee said:

Has Check Inn 99 moved back again? It was above Zak's IIRC in Soi 11 but relocated a year or so ago to Soi 33. Spent a fortune on that place, surprised if they've gone back to 11.

Sent using Tapatalk

My bad.  I have not been there since they left their original location on Lower Suk. Can't bear the Philippino band. But loved the history of the place when it was on Suk and part of an interesting area. The whole of lower Suk has been destroyed so I won't be going to soi 33 to visit the place. 

21 minutes ago, SooKee said:

Sent using Tapatalk

I think you may be correct. Since social and ethnic cleansing by the bullies in boots with guns I rarely go there.  There more fun in Al Khobar! 

32 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

5 star sofitel hotel opened recently 3 min walk to Nana BTS.  The 5 star Hyatt regency opens August cnr soi 13  under 2 min walk to Nana BTS

The Q condominium half finished and has a walk way directly to Nana BTS... condo prices $1 million to $5 million USA DOLLARS !

Some pretty wealthy ghetto tourists LOL

I bought 12 years ago around the corner from Nana Bts when it actually was a ghetto. You would cry if you knew what I Paid back then

Love the vibe although a lot crazier back then but prefer it now with the footpaths liberated of all the trashy blind drunk tourists, sleaze and countless lady boys and the big number of Nigerians that the all night open air street bars along sukhimvit attracted between 12-5am. The army did good in cleaning all that up

So near what jungle is your dwelling ? :biggrin::biggrin:

Most of the world agrees the destruction of the lower suk street life has been detrimental to Thai and Bangkok culture and has resulted in Thais and Issan people and their food and income stream being replaced with trafficked African sex, workers and, their drug dealing pimps. A great area full of pop up bars and restaurants now has all the character of a used condom. 

Archived