My Very First Experience and Memories of Pattaya

rooster59

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

"I also remember a load of Bkk police being sent in...".

Another version from about the same time if my memory is correct; several attempts by the national police to try to regain control over the out of control police in the Chonburi region. Goes back to the days when Kamnan Po controlled the Chonburi police and their activities. 

I understand what you are saying, but I have no recollection of "out of control" police. That all happend later and certainly more recently.

Back before the late 90s everyone got on pretty well. It only really went bad with Purachai's hate on farangs having fun. Never recovered since.

IMO Kamnan Po ran a happy city ( for farang tourists ).

On 3/14/2018 at 10:17 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

I also don't remember prices dropping. What actually happened was the baht dropped in value and forex got a heap more baht.

A lot of expats from Chiang Mai to Pattaya because the prices were so low and things improved. I remember being really surprised at the difference from before, but I had a job, so didn't move. I did visit though and got some great deals - the APEX in particular.

8 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

A lot of expats from Chiang Mai to Pattaya because the prices were so low and things improved. I remember being really surprised at the difference from before, but I had a job, so didn't move. I did visit though and got some great deals - the APEX in particular.

Apex is still going strong, and the reception staff still the same as when I stayed there many years ago. Any that have stayed there will know what I mean. 

They still have the buffet meals, but I prefer the other place opposite Avenues.

It's easier to find cheap accommodation in C M now, but transport is way higher. People in Pattaya don't know how lucky they are with the baht buses.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

On 04/03/2018 at 4:05 PM, Golden Triangle said:

Sorry my bad, slap my wrist, :jap:

I am still slapping my face because I will never get back the minutes I wasted reading the o.p.  10 years ago?????  Spare me please!!  That was yesterday for most of us.

On 04/03/2018 at 4:05 PM, Golden Triangle said:

Sorry my bad, slap my wrist, :jap:

6 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

Someone who remembers the original Thermae in Sukhumvit and drank his afternoons away at the Grace Hotel without wearing a turban.

OIC! Turban... bite my tongue.

Actually I'm aware of both venues locations but have never stepped foot in either, both not my scene, but we all have our likes and dislikes.

I've been here a very long time but until fairly recently worked in a high pressure / long hours job and little time for thermaes and graces, plus my free time was all taken up (my choice) with my Thai family, I was very lucky to quickly meet a wonderful lady, a Thai doctor of medicine, perfect English, did all her high school and medical education and trainee stuff in australia by scholarships so she was well acquaited with western foibles, we had a wonderful marriage and family, unfortunately she's now passed on. 

14 hours ago, scorecard said:

OIC! Turban... bite my tongue.

Actually I'm aware of both venues locations but have never stepped foot in either, both not my scene, but we all have our likes and dislikes.

I've been here a very long time but until fairly recently worked in a high pressure / long hours job and little time for thermaes and graces, plus my free time was all taken up (my choice) with my Thai family, I was very lucky to quickly meet a wonderful lady, a Thai doctor of medicine, perfect English, did all her high school and medical education and trainee stuff in australia by scholarships so she was well acquaited with western foibles, we had a wonderful marriage and family, unfortunately she's now passed on. 

All of which makes you definitely not a 'monger.  Good for you.