Why do some expats turn Thai in Thailand?

rooster59

2 minutes ago, timendres said:

It's a little funny (I am thinking arrogant) how in the west we expect immigrants to adopt our language and culture, but here it is considered "going native".

I don't expect anyone to do anything in my country if they don't want too..Freedom...:stoner:

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, timendres said:

It's a little funny (I am thinking arrogant) how in the west we expect immigrants to adopt our language and culture, but here it is considered "going native".

Westerners are up themselves

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, timendres said:

But none of us are immigrants ........... I know 'cos it says 'Non-Immigrant' on my passport stamp.

I'll be damned if I'm gonna learn a (useless minority) language for a 90 day entry.

Not to mention everyone around me speaks a 'Laos' variant, not much point learning Central Thai when nobody speaks it.

(Only 33% of the Thai population speak Central Thai as a first language)

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Thanks 1

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:43 AM, Boon Mee said:

A better question is why do some Farang in Thailand Not learn the language and understand the culture? 

Some farangs can't learn the language for any of hundreds of reasons, some don't need to and some don't want to, but you knew that already, didn't you?

As for understanding the culture- absolutely, but that doesn't mean trying to BE a Thai. It's just good manners to understand the local culture of any country we happen to be in.

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:37 AM, Bill Miller said:

Kind of an odd position in my mind. Why go to another country with a different culture and essentially reject that culture?
Sounds like Dan would be happier if he stayed at home.

I visited LOS for the beach and fun, not so I could sit on the floor and eat deep fried insects.

My question is why do some people think they know why other people want to stay in LOS, and what it has to do with them?

On 3/4/2018 at 9:43 AM, Boon Mee said:

A better question is why do some Farang in Thailand Not learn the language and understand the culture? 

Thai culture = greed and selfishness

No need to learn any foreign language to understand that.

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:37 AM, firefox999uk said:

Dan it seems that you are a city dweller, with typical city dweller attitudes.

I live in a village and find it more beneficial to integrate

than to separate.....i feel i get more respect from the locals

by doing so.

Have a Nice Day.

I lived in a village and I have absolutely no idea what you mean by "integrate". Does that mean you went to the temple to give stuff to the monks, drink Thai whiskey in the local bars and take a bargirl home after, plant rice, gossip with the women? I can't actually think of anything else I could have done with the villagers that I didn't do anyway, and I certainly wasn't "integrated".

• Like 1

It's difficult to survive in an English speaking country if you can only speak and understand Thai. It's perfectly possible to live and survive in Thailand without being to speak or understand Thai.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:38 PM, Gecko123 said:

or make faces at the sight of plaa raa or a chicken foot floating in kanom jin sauce.

I've read some bizarre things on TVF, but that's right up there.

If eating a chicken's foot is ever a requirement for staying in LOS I'm outta here.

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:43 PM, TKDfella said:

Ha, some guys are really 'funny' about this. Several years ago I was eating the evening meal with my (then) Thai wife and her family. Another family had joined us among them a chap from Manchester, England. During our conversation he said '....now that I live in Thailand, I only eat Thai food...'. My reply went something like 'Why is that? Did you only eat English food when you were in England?'. Oh boy, if looks could kill I would have been dead on the spot. He got up and without a word sat somewhere else. I never saw him again, Ha!

He's obviously has a well integrated sense of "face". He'll do well here.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 1:16 PM, janclaes47 said:

Of course he didn't eat only English food when in England, because no human being would ever survive on that.

My favourite "treat" food in London was the Chinese food at a local all you can eat buffet.

Never found anything like it here, so perhaps it's neither English or Chinese. Anyway I did like it- yum.

6 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Thai culture = greed and selfishness

No need to learn any foreign language to understand that.

Carry on lovin'....

oh, and pointing....

Edited by thaiguzzi

On 3/4/2018 at 9:43 AM, Boon Mee said:

I don't know... maybe because ultimately knowing Thai has zero benefits?

I see Thai friends talking with each other and they often don't even understand each other.

And having deep conversation is pretty much impossible in Thailand anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Coconut007 said:

I see Thai friends talking with each other and they often don't even understand each other

How do you know unless you speak Thai? 

14 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

But none of us are immigrants ........... I know 'cos it says 'Non-Immigrant' on my passport stamp.

I'll be damned if I'm gonna learn a (useless minority) language for a 90 day entry.

Not to mention everyone around me speaks a 'Laos' variant, not much point learning Central Thai when nobody speaks it.

(Only 33% of the Thai population speak Central Thai as a first language)

It's taught in schools as the primary language.

7 hours ago, Coconut007 said:

I see Thai friends talking with each other and they often don't even understand each other.

And having deep conversation is pretty much impossible in Thailand anyway.

You mean you don't understand.

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I've read some bizarre things on TVF, but that's right up there.

If eating a chicken's foot is ever a requirement for staying in LOS I'm outta here.

Chicken feet is far more popular with Chinese.

But some people can't tell the difference.