Your Home Country, Reasons Why You Left

Bananaman

I first left Romania because that country was changing into bad, because the corruption, the poor salaries and mostly for the need of change, I was (and still am) pretty young, I was just finishing university and I said to myself that since joining the army was no longer an option for becoming a man, like in the old days, I should go travel and see the world, started with Czech Republic, (one of the most beautiful countries I've ever seen), worked there for about one year and then ended up in Thailand. Now Romania is an EU country and things are starting to change into good again and I'm getting ready to go back there, found a nice business too.

I loved Thailand at first, then the bad part started to show itself and decided that it's best to go back home and live in a real country, with my family, friends and my people. Thailand is changing into something that none of us wants to, but this is the reality and there's nothing we can do about it, I'm sad to say that I'm leaving Thailand with a bad taste, but it was a life experience for me that I will never forget, being on your own for 2 or 3 years opens your eyes and as far as I'm concerned it's the real MBA, worth 1000 times more than a paper that says that your mom and dad paid for your master in God knows what subject while you were driving a BMW (most of my classmates did it), this way I made my master in Bangkok, worked in Bangkok and going back home with 2 degrees, one of them being in life. I Hope I'll have the chance to wish to come back when I'll plan for retirement and that Thailand will be a good spot to do it, but I doubt it.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I first left Romania because that country was changing into bad, because the corruption, the poor salaries and mostly for the need of change, I was (and still am) pretty young, I was just finishing university and I said to myself that since joining the army was no longer an option for becoming a man, like in the old days, I should go travel and see the world, started with Czech Republic, (one of the most beautiful countries I've ever seen), worked there for about one year and then ended up in Thailand. Now Romania is an EU country and things are starting to change into good again and I'm getting ready to go back there, found a nice business too.

I loved Thailand at first, then the bad part started to show itself and decided that it's best to go back home and live in a real country, with my family, friends and my people. Thailand is changing into something that none of us wants to, but this is the reality and there's nothing we can do about it, I'm sad to say that I'm leaving Thailand with a bad taste, but it was a life experience for me that I will never forget, being on your own for 2 or 3 years opens your eyes and as far as I'm concerned it's the real MBA, worth 1000 times more than a paper that says that your mom and dad paid for your master in God knows what subject while you were driving a BMW (most of my classmates did it), this way I made my master in Bangkok, worked in Bangkok and going back home with 2 degrees, one of them being in life. I Hope I'll have the chance to wish to come back when I'll plan for retirement and that Thailand will be a good spot to do it, but I doubt it.

Regret you have bad memories here, but your MBA reference is spot on. Perspicacious and poignant you are, Alex. Best wishes on your future endeavours.

2) I hate football and feel sorry for people whose whole life revolves around football. I have no time for football players one and all.(please see 1)

Blimey, ourmanflint. That's a strange reason (or one of them) to leave England for. Nearly every country in the world has football, in fact i get to see more live English Premiership games IN Thailand than when i am in England.

Gotta agree with the majority of the rest of your reason's though. :D

It must be that celeb come football player thing that really winds me up... oh and the obscene amounts of money that these little pr*cks get paid to kick a ball around. Football players as rich ferrari driving thugs.... what happened?

Comments like this about the money footballers get paid make me laugh :D . Be honest ourmanflint, if you could kick a ball as well as Wayne Rooney, and Alex F. gave you a call, you'd take the money wouldn't you? I know I bluddy would, like a shot. :o

The fact that most of them behave like idiotic retards is just indicative of the fact that they are young, have shed loads of cash and little self control. A bit like most of us at that age, well apart from the money that is.

The money may seem obscene to many but I'd rather they, the footballers, were doing what they are doing than lounging around a council estate supported by the welfare getting involved in drugs and petty crime.

The money may seem obscene to many but I'd rather they, the footballers, were doing what they are doing than lounging around a council estate supported by the welfare getting involved in drugs and petty crime.

Nice one, Phil. :o And they do have limited careers, and then they have to go out and sell insurance or widgets.

2) I hate football and feel sorry for people whose whole life revolves around football. I have no time for football players one and all.(please see 1)

Blimey, ourmanflint. That's a strange reason (or one of them) to leave England for. Nearly every country in the world has football, in fact i get to see more live English Premiership games IN Thailand than when i am in England.

Gotta agree with the majority of the rest of your reason's though. :D

It must be that celeb come football player thing that really winds me up... oh and the obscene amounts of money that these little pr*cks get paid to kick a ball around. Football players as rich ferrari driving thugs.... what happened?

Comments like this about the money footballers get paid make me laugh :D . Be honest ourmanflint, if you could kick a ball as well as Wayne Rooney, and Alex F. gave you a call, you'd take the money wouldn't you? I know I bluddy would, like a shot. :o

The fact that most of them behave like idiotic retards is just indicative of the fact that they are young, have shed loads of cash and little self control. A bit like most of us at that age, well apart from the money that is.

Phil

not everyone is inspired by the gain of material things and wealth... the point is I no longer wish to live somewhere where football players are treated like gods and truly brilliant people have to struggle to survive.

My choice!

This is one of the most bizarre threads I've ever seen on TV. People leaving countries because of footballers and dodgy presidents.

Jeez guys - get a grip. What a load of self-indulgent nonsense. You might want to thank god that you actually came from countries where you had the luxury of a half decent education (albeit one that most choose not to engage with or use), enough food on the table so that you weren't working in fields at the age of six and where - generally speaking - there is a culture that enables - without compelling - a person to be as good as their drive and energy lets them be.

Three quarters of the world's population doesnt have that.

I was born and raised in the UK but lived most of my working life in New Zealand, with stints in Australia too. I'm eternally thankful for the opportunities those countries gave me, and I cherish my UK and NZ passports.

I didn't 'leave' those countries for negative reasons. I moved on to new opportunities and chapters / adventures in my life. Somehow, the latest stage is Thailand.

Point taken omf, I still wouldn't mind some of their dosh.

The UK has become little more than a leg up onto the ladder of life. Thereafter the brilliant ones make their way in foriegn fields maybe for more money, maybe for a better lifestyle for less money or maybe just to chill out and <deleted> the money. To each their own way and may the road rise up to meet their feet (as the Irish would say).

"This is one of the most bizarre threads I've ever seen on TV. People leaving countries because of footballers and dodgy presidents.

Jeez guys - get a grip. What a load of self-indulgent nonsense. You might want to thank god that you actually came from countries where you had the luxury of a half decent education (albeit one that most choose not to engage with or use), enough food on the table so that you weren't working in fields at the age of six and where - generally speaking - there is a culture that enables - without compelling - a person to be as good as their drive and energy lets them be.

Three quarters of the world's population doesnt have that."

-------------------------------------------------------------

Amen to that!...Bendix

If not for my husband(American), I would never considered coming back to Thailand “my original home country” ever again!, but I’m willing to do this and be just about anywhere with him on this earth than live without him here in the US. He has a heart problem “high blood pressure”- too stressed out from works, so we think a few years in Thailand might do him some good. And who knows I might even relearned to love Thailand again.

I don’t know and still have some doubts whether I could be happy in Thailand again with so many decades absented. A few things that bothering me the most are,

-thai way of driving, - I surely will miss having good clean/paved roads and sharing them with mostly law abiding drivers.

-my aunt has been nagging me to go to the temple a few times per week when I’m there (this, in order to be a good thai/Buddhist, she said) and I didn’t even like going to the temple since I was a kid!).

-the concept of “face saving”, you can’t converse or solve anything seriously with them when they’re hiding behind this “face” concept. It’s also difficult to having any meaningful conversation in any topics in lengths w/ them when eventually it will drifted down to money, foods, and gossips about friends & neighbours, at the end!

In addition too many girls..women..females there, many of them are too obsesses with… having a white skin, society/class climbing – esp looking down at who have-not, too materialistic, and any upward mobility in life will likely be from finding a rich husband. These are how they (most of them anyway) defined the concepts of success and marriage. There are so much jalousies among these girls you can see & feel it just by watching them.

Those are just some of my thoughts about Thailand (not against anyone who love Thailand to death and repect each one's own reasons why they love thailand). I am only speaking from my own experiences and don't mind saying it that I like US better, yes US has its own problems but for me the pros outweight the cons.

Edited by teacup

The place I came from is a really wonderful place to live and I did not look forward to leaving there for any reason...but...my wife wants to live near her family and where we live now is a wonderful place to live and I do not look forward to having to leave here for any reason.

Here is my favourite passage from "The Moon and Sixpence" by Somerset Maugham, published in 1919. Looked for this book for years in London, US, HK, and finallly found it at a second hand book stall on Khao Sarn Road in 1995. This passage sums up my life.

I have an idea that some men are born out of their due place.

Accident has cast them amid certain surroundings, but they

have always a nostalgia for a home they know not. They are

strangers in their birthplace, and the leafy lanes they have

known from childhood or the populous streets in which they

have played, remain but a place of passage. They may spend

their whole lives aliens among their kindred and remain aloof

among the only scenes they have ever known. Perhaps it is

this sense of strangeness that sends men far and wide in the

search for something permanent, to which they may attach

themselves. Perhaps some deeprooted atavism urges the

wanderer back to lands which his ancestors left in the dim

beginnings of history. Sometimes a man hits upon a place to

which he mysteriously feels that he belongs. Here is the home

he sought, and he will settle amid scenes that he has never

seen before, among men he has never known, as though they were

familiar to him from his birth. Here at last he finds rest.

Bloody hel_l Jet, that really hits home doesn't it.

Here is my favourite passage from "The Moon and Sixpence" by Somerset Maugham, published in 1919. Looked for this book for years in London, US, HK, and finallly found it at a second hand book stall on Khao Sarn Road in 1995. This passage sums up my life.

I have an idea that some men are born out of their due place.

Accident has cast them amid certain surroundings, but they

have always a nostalgia for a home they know not. They are

strangers in their birthplace, and the leafy lanes they have

known from childhood or the populous streets in which they

have played, remain but a place of passage. They may spend

their whole lives aliens among their kindred and remain aloof

among the only scenes they have ever known. Perhaps it is

this sense of strangeness that sends men far and wide in the

search for something permanent, to which they may attach

themselves. Perhaps some deeprooted atavism urges the

wanderer back to lands which his ancestors left in the dim

beginnings of history. Sometimes a man hits upon a place to

which he mysteriously feels that he belongs. Here is the home

he sought, and he will settle amid scenes that he has never

seen before, among men he has never known, as though they were

familiar to him from his birth. Here at last he finds rest.

Bloody hel_l Jet, that really hits home doesn't it.

It really does for me. Glad you appreciate it. The book has other great passages, but this one has always been the closest to defining my being. The text is available free online. Google it! This quote is the start of chapter 50 (I think), according to their compilation. Maugham's Asia travel book is less than laudatory about Thailand, which makes me chuckle when I see the Oriental Hotel touting its Somerset Suite.

Regret you have bad memories here, but your MBA reference is spot on. Perspicacious and poignant you are, Alex. Best wishes on your future endeavours.

People who talk like politicians oughtta shampoo my crotch.

Nice attitude :o

Need a dictionary, dgoz? Oxford on line is good.

Wishing someone well is political?

Don't worry about dgoz . . . he's quickly earned his spot as the least likeable person on Thaivisa. Idiotic I can cope and empathise with. Rude and boorish, the same.

But idiotic and rude together?

It would be better if he did it with some style and wit, but sadly that's beyond him :-)

Don't worry about dgoz . . . he's quickly earned his spot as the least likeable person on Thaivisa. Idiotic I can cope and empathise with. Rude and boorish, the same.

It would be better if he did it with some style and wit, but sadly that's beyond him :-)

I'm not worrying, but I'm still trying to figure out the part where it became political or began speaking like one. Maybe too much of a vocabulary handed out in only one morning? Just to clear this up, the MBA it's not a political distinction, in case there is the part where it all became political

Gotta remember flint its the British public (well, the football fans) that allow these jumped up primadonna's to demand such wages, if people refused to pay £60 or £70 for a ticket (no idea of the price, have zero interest in football too) then they wouldnt earn what they do. Every reason you posted is spot on my friend, and some of my many reasons for wanting to leave my country of birth and reside in LOS

Far too many people in England are more interested in Beckham/Big Brother/Political Correctness/Jade Goody than their own families which I feel is so very sad...

I don't need a dictionary but you've obviously been using yours.

How often have you used the word perspicacious when talking to people?

Alexth speaks english as a second language. He's probably not impressed by your ability to flick through the thesaurus and find big words sweetheart. Don't bother trying to use suedo intelligence to impress us. It's see-through.

I'm not worrying, but I'm still trying to figure out the part where it became political or began speaking like one. Maybe too much of a vocabulary handed out in only one morning? Just to clear this up, the MBA it's not a political distinction, in case there is the part where it all became political

Not saying it's political.

Just saying people who use big words that they look up in a dictionary that aren't used in normal speach are acting like politicians. Politicians in Australia use this to sound intelligent to the people who don't know any better.

Dgoz, I am a writer by profession, so it is my job to know my product lines, one of which happens to be words. I like the word perspicacious. I think I learned that in Grade 3 when we studied American football strategy.

Here are two new ones for you: puerile and prurient.

Now, let's kiss and make up.

Dgoz, I am a writer by profession, so it is my job to know my product lines, one of which happens to be words. I like the word perspicacious. I think I learned that in Grade 3 when we studied American football strategy.

Well, it sounds like bloviating to us... :o

Well, it sounds like bloviating to us... :o

I think you want to say pontificating... :D

Now, let's kiss and make up.

and dogz leaves the arena with his tail between his legs and scrotal sac dragging the ground :o

I don't need a dictionary but you've obviously been using yours.

How often have you used the word perspicacious when talking to people?

Alexth speaks english as a second language. He's probably not impressed by your ability to flick through the thesaurus and find big words sweetheart. Don't bother trying to use suedo intelligence to impress us. It's see-through.

It all depends on where you hang out and who you hang out with... :o

Going further with why I prefer Manado to Canada:

Was I ever lucky to have circumstances lead me to Manado. I really like the people here. They are so friendly to me - people greeting me on the street all the time. It's pretty easy to get dates, and the women in this area are famed as the most beautiful in Indonesia, due probably to their wide mixing of heritages - Spanish, Dutch, Japanese, Chinese, and more recently also Austrlian, German, etc.

I can't believe what happened on tonights date. I had contacted two beautiful young women, separately, through a social networking website, and they both knew each other, as they work in the same office. So they both joined me for dinner. They then BOTH offered to be my girlfriend! Not at the same time, though, I'd have to choose, I was told. These are office girls, not renta-wifes, girls who say grace, go to church, are close with their family, etc.

What is going on here? My other first date, with a totally stunning 24 year old basically offered herself to me on the first date too, and the next day joked with me that her dream last was of white babies.

People understimate my age - some say I look 30 or even 25. I think I look older than my 40, as I'm balding and have saggy eyes. I guess since they are so unused to seeing westerners, they aren't as familiar with our faces and how we age. Sometimes westerners say that Asians look young for their age. In any case, Olivia, the 23 year old stock broker with a wonderful face and figure and pleasant personality, offered tonight to be my girlfriend. Incredible.

If anyone is hunting for a wife, or a place to retire, I'd recommend Manado. These people strike me as the most straight up and friendly Asians I've ever met. And they don't blink at a forty year old dating or marrying a twenty something.