Most beautiful papaya tree I’ve ever seen

surfdog

This tree is about 4 months old, seed grown from selected Gaek Dam strain, many culled for this one to come up solo.

IMG_9600.JPG

IMG_9601.JPG

IMG_9602.JPG

IMG_9603.JPG

So problem in south is monsoon rain and high water table during rainy season, even usually good draining soil can be flooded during heavy 24hr rain...

So my new method is to design planting to be at least 3 foot above water table if possible, but hopefully able to access moist soil or water table at 3-5 feet for tap root.

To achieve that I dig as far down as reasonably possible for a small hole, usually 3 feet, then build perimeter of stone. I fill in with 4 in one potting mix, manure, generic EM pellet (got for free, not sure of value) and fill to original soil level. Place in potted plant or continue to fill up to level of rocks, the higher the better and in that case seed the area.

Cull as needed, and add im 16-16-16 monthly about 1/4 kg surrounding the tree. Later when fruiting manure is more important.

Potting mix 4 in one is standard across Thailand, it is coco coir dust, Maak husk, manure, and rice hulls composted into 40-50% white sand and 20% clay. The compost usually does a good job of keeing the clay broken up.

Homemade soil can be made also in same way, heavy on white sand, and plenty of springy long lasting compost (maak and coco coir), manure. Rice husks hard to come by in my area, but in NE the burndt rice hulls are very good.

Manure acts in same way almost because of the undigested grass.

Now this could be considered overkill, but if you want to optimize space used the yields can be very good. Some more pics below of old Gaek Dam aged 10 months, and newly planted Yellow Papaya which is hurting from the dry heat.

IMG_9613.JPGIMG_9609.JPGIMG_9608.JPGIMG_9605.JPGImage1520140974.150497.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

You go to a lot of effort for your papaya. Healthy looking trees. Is the fruit quality constant? I've had a tree that gave lovely eating fruit for a few months and then later lost its flavour. The ones I plant often dont do as well as the ones that grow on their own and its true we have lost trees when the water is too abundant for weeks and the roots rot away. I get caught between keeping the roots high enough up not to rot but still get water most of the time. I've got mango, banana, lemon, dragonfruit and soursop as well, not enough time or money to keep it all perfect and not spend all day watering.

20 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Hollander is the variety of choice here west of Khon Kaen.

farmerjo, yes holland look good, but even the best Hawaiian red sweet strains, just not a big fan.  Maybe plant some Holland soon.  I am keen to try the Yellow, was told it was very sweet, have 6 planted now

36 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

not enough time or money to keep it all perfect and not spend all day watering.

If you have the space put in a pond, I run a 2HP pump from the fishpond to sprinklers, it can run about 6-8 heads at full pressure, have about 50 heads setup in lines, so I just turn off and turn on the valves, cost about 20,000 to setup but well worth it since If I watered all by hose would take forever, not to mention dragging the 100 meter hose around everywhere.  :)

The cost of one hole to put in a tree is about...

11 baht per potting mix bag - 20 for a standard sized hole about - 222 baht

manure 50 kg sack (50 kg size not weight) - 70 baht per bag... need to find cheaper

chopped coconut mulch - 17 baht per 50 kg size bag

16-16-16 - I think I pay 50-70 baht/kg

So all in all, the tree will at least break even, some of the soil improvement is permanent, so later can plant trees in there with addition of more manure.  The rocks will eventually allow some of the potting soil to wash out, but that is needed, that free draining system is what keeps the papaya well drained.  But instead of adding more potting soil manure is good enough.