where to dispose electronic trash properly?

siam2007

over the years, quite a few old devices / laptops that I cannot use anymore and are broken have been adding up at my place.

How can I properly dispose those. In my home country, there are specific collection bins where you can dispose them properly, but probably no such thing in Thailand. Any recommendations?

There was a thread here on electronics recycling a while back, where we delved into this. The government has plans for recycling centers for electronic waste, but as usual, mostly seem plans and not much reality.

For phones, the DTAC service center in Siam Paragon has a bin. For phones and other electronics, there are a set of dedicated bins on the 3rd or 4th floor of FortuneTown.  Check the thread for other details.

Also, there's often an informal neighborhood recycling collection program that goes on at the street level. I put old electronics out NEAR the trash bins, not in them. And usually within 1 hour night or day, anything I put out is scooped up and gone. Only problem is, I have no idea what actually becomes of that stuff.

Maybe you are too far away but in my spare time and a s an hobby I repair/ cleanup from Viruses etc older PCs laptops etc that my OAP friends bring to that are not conventionally worth repairing in say places like Tukcom or normal repair places  and I am always needing bits and pieces from older computers that I cannot buy anymore on the market, would be pleased to get anything, even screws and older  Motherboards to cases  etc

Looking now for a palm rest for an older ASUS laptop

As said leaving beside trash bin will get it into hands of recycle crews and somebody may actually obtain a few baht.  In most locations there are trucks that visit every few days and will pay nominal amounts for broken stuff.  You do not have to leave home - which is probably why you will not find many collection spots.

I had a very old (15+ years) Dell CPU at home that was working (not broken but max memory 768KB) but I hadn't used for years. This last week, I finally got around to opening it up, removing the installed hard disk and a few cards installed in its slots.

Then probably about 8 pm on a weeknight last week, I put the CPU case with motherboard and memory intact out by our trash bins. It was gone within an hour. Same thing with a pile of old extra audio RCA cables and other misc cables that I no longer needed or used. Gone like that.

But when I had a mobile phone lithium battery swell up and go bad last year, I didn't want to leave that out on the soi, since it;'s potentially dangerous. So I rooted around and finally found the recycling bins at DTAC Paragon and Fortunetown, and brought the battery to DTAC Paragon.

The only thing that makes me a bit uncomfortable about the soi approach is Thais aren't exactly known for their "clean" recycling practices. More a tendency to quickly strip out whatever can be resold for value like metals, and then leave the remainder laying in a rubbish pile somewhere.

The same kind of scruffy types who try to crack open unexploded bombs they periodically find, only to have them sometimes explode in their faces, or try to crack open the nuclear units from Xray machines and end up killing and injuring themselves with radiation poisoning.

Perhaps it's time to check and see what became of the Pollution Control Department's past plan to create a bunch of E-Waste recycling locations...

8 hours ago, n210mp said:

Maybe you are too far away but in my spare time and a s an hobby I repair/ cleanup from Viruses etc older PCs laptops etc that my OAP friends bring to that are not conventionally worth repairing in say places like Tukcom or normal repair places  and I am always needing bits and pieces from older computers that I cannot buy anymore on the market, would be pleased to get anything, even screws and older  Motherboards to cases  etc

Where in Pattaya?

I was impressed on my visit to Switzerland last year. Apparently when you buy an electrical appliance a small charge is added to the cost. When you want to dispose of it you return it to the shop. It's asking a bit much for Thailand to adopt something like this I suppose.:saai:

On 3/5/2018 at 7:37 AM, n210mp said:

I have an old laptop but the HD has been removed. Also quite a few cables, cords, plugs a.s.o. that have added up over time but I never use (some are new ). If interested, PM me. I am quite close

no problem to give away obsolete devices to someone; BUT, the 'soi' approach or even giving them to the garbage guys, those hazardous e-waste components will be disposed improperly somewhere in the neighbourhood, or in the uncovered dump site.

my e-waste also reaching the critical limit of my storage space.

Archived