Wild tiger population in Thailand increase: DNP

webfact

Wild tiger population in Thailand increase: DNP

tg.jpg

FILE photo

BANGKOK, 5th March 2018 (NNT) – The Director General of the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plants Conservation (DNP) said Thailand has been successful in its effort to increase wild tiger population, especially in Huay Kha Khang wildlife sanctuary. 

Disclosure of the increasing number of tigers living in the wild was made as Thailand joined the world to mark the UN World Wildlife Day on March 3rd. 

This year, the World Wildlife Day is celebrated under the theme “Big cats: predators under threat” to raise public awareness on the shrinking big cats population. 

The survey on wild tiger population in 2012 showed that there were between 189-252 tigers in the wild. Of the total, about 120 live in the Thung Yai Naresuan-Huay Kha khaeng western forest complex. 

In Huay Kha khaeng wildlife sanctuary alone, the tiger population has increased from about 40 in 2012 to 60-65 this year. Fifteen tigers were also found in Dong Phyayen-Khao Yai forests. 

Apart from protecting tiger population in the wild, the department also adopted effective measures to monitor operation of tiger farms nationwide to prevent tiger smuggling and to ensure that operators follow animal welfare regulations. There are 49 tiger farms in the country with 1,464 tigers in captivity. 

Authorities have been making records of these caged tigers by collecting DNA samples and taking photographs of each tiger. The department expected to finish the captive tiger database by the end of this year.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-03-05

The increase of tiger in wild life is very positive. When I read about that there are 49 tiger farms and 1464 tigers in captivity, then the fears for illegal trade and the welfare for them worries me. That should not be allowed in a country where they use the expression "As long as I make money, it doesn´t matter what or how I do it".

• Like 1

Whilst its possible, studies have shown most 'authorities' here will stretch the truth to appear like they do anything pro-active..

And this press release is well timed to quell  the significant dismay at the recent hiso does what he wants and if caught starts a whole array of "sqirm dances" that if he can keep running will be forgotten under a whole pile of other such "indiscretions" that are a given in any 6 months period..

• Like 1

If this report helps in funding their continued protection, one would hope that khun Permchai would feel bound to offer a substantial donation on a yearly basis, 

as part of his atonement, 

• Like 1

I find it strange this coming out when there is a poaching charge against a prominent Thai man here in the LOS's

10-1 this is the lawyers spending some of the Thai mans money to help dumb down the public opinion!

• Like 1