‘Men of discipline?’ Police banned from wearing sunglasses following haircut order as force gets an image makeover

webfact

2 hours ago, Bendi said:

This is very good. Have a strict uniform code. Be proude of your work and your uniform. Next, raise the salary for the police on the streets. So they can have a good living, without teabagging.

Begging for tea money?

• Haha 1

This is very good. Have a strict uniform code. Be proude of your work and your uniform. Next, raise the salary for the police on the streets. So they can have a good living, without teabagging.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Get Real said:

Seems like they really got a hold of the problem. Cut the hair and put the sunglasses in the pocket until sunday dinner, and everything is hunky dory.

Beware about shops selling sunglasses. They lead to severe urge to corrupt yourself.

Also be very careful not to let your hair grow out more then 1-2 cm. That can lead to aqn irresitable way to look trough the fingers in cetain situations.

What has the length of the police's hair got to do with their ability to do their job? Oh! wait, are most of them not in inactive posts anyway?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bendi said:

Being proud on the uniform is easy because it's paid by hard begged money ...

Edited by Jack Mountain
rephrase

Breaking news dictatorships to save the BIB...
NO sunglasses means no more blackmailing farangs that do nothing wrong
A New haircut means No more corruption

Thankyou PM - . Heir Prayut

• Haha 1

Sunglasses? Ok if it's sunny, but after 5:00pm? Face masks? Ok if there is smog, but on a rainy day? Police car/truck with illegally dark tinted windscreen? On the road after 5:00 pm. No legible officer ID badge? At any time?

Given the Thai love of ecology and environmental sustainability, every officer should be required by law to provide to every member of the public with whom he interacts, a business card with his name in Thai and English, a photo, his service number and rank, his station contact telephone number and location details (gps coordinates).

It wouldn't even cost very much to set up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Happy enough said:

you see i don't think that looks menacing. to me that looks like some thai copper who doesn't want to have dark skin. happy for him to wave me past. but if he pulls me over and wants to talk to me then he should remove the face covering and sunglasses before speaking to me. i would be fine with that. don't want to get a ticket from a stormtrooper

or breathe the fumes

8 minutes ago, Phuket Man said:

They were all wearing their sunglasses today here in Khon Kaen while out in the road collecting their lunch money from motorists.

And that's the real issue - sunglasses, face masks and dark motorcycle visors are used to mask their identity when applying on the spot fines.  Last time I was pulled over at a checkpoint the Police Officer flipped his dark visor down to cover his face before he started talking to me.  Ironic that dark visors are illegal in Thailand, although admittedly he wasn't riding his bike at the time.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ossy said:

This says it all, re the RTP's 'Men of Discipline' image. And this is after the Police Chief General Chakthip's 'statement, on November 15, that officers on duty must dress properly and have short haircuts', a reiteration of the policy one month later and random checks, during February. Quite simply, officers couldn't give a shit about orders from the very top cop.

There is an attitude problem, within the RTP that will be impossible to fix until all ranks literally bust a gut to carry out all rulings concerning behaviour and public image. If ranks aren't listening and obeying their boss, now, the only way to change that is to change the boss, which is what I and many other posters have been hankering after this for months, now. If we can see the spanner in the works, why can't the Powers that be? Too scared to use the 'power', maybe.

Power (with wielding arms), force, discipline, respect, responsibility . . . all words that are dying the death, when it comes to Thailand's governmental departments and agencies. There's this 'couldn't-give-a-shit' disease and it's spreading without control. Any posters got an idea as to why?

It's easier ( read lazier/more selfish) to not give s hit about anything but  yourself, people have gotten very VERY lazy and Thailand ranks right up there but this "disease" has become worldwide.

Edited by gunderhill
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Eyes need protection from UV rays . How about uniforms that suit the climate are not invisible to traffic ? those brown polyester jump suits in 100% humidity must be extremely uncomfortable

Going to Khaki in MAY

• Like 1

Finally, a hollistic overhalling of the BIB. Not being able to wear sunglasses should put an end to.................. anyone rtelying on them to correctly direct sunglasses................. In blazing sunlight................ Jesus wept!

No hands in pockets, their pockets or my pockets?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, chama said:

Sunglasses? Haircuts? They have bigger image problems. Maybe take a look at bribes, extortion, strong arm tactics, and general corruption? 

What bribes. we all give money because we want to........................................... and want to avoid a billy-club up the A-hole

• Haha 1

On 3/5/2018 at 2:40 PM, Grumpy Duck said:

I worked in the Calif and Ariz sun for most of my life. I didn't use sunscreen, wasn't allowed wide brim hats, (only hard hats) and I failed to wear sunglasses. As a result, I developed melanoma @ 49 years old and glaucoma at 59. Fortunately I was a union worker and had an excellent medical plan eyes are better than ever after surgery and melanoma is gone. 

Sunglasses are necessary for health & safety of anyone working in direct sunlight all day. 

I also neglected to mention my main reason for the reply 5555. Wide brim hats (cowboy) do not protect against UV radiation as my dermatologist explained to me the rays are reflected off concrete and asphalt. 

Also, "cowboy" hats were designed to deflect rain more than sunlight. 

On 3/5/2018 at 3:19 PM, The Teacher said:

I agree totally with you, but like so many other so called orders handed down from their superiors  it will last about a hour them back to normal, stating the sun hurts their eyes more... Lets see aye  

I wear transition lenses.  How am I suppose to see if I take off my glasses?

On 3/5/2018 at 3:19 PM, The Teacher said:

I agree totally with you, but like so many other so called orders handed down from their superiors  it will last about a hour them back to normal, stating the sun hurts their eyes more... Lets see aye  

When I was in the Army a part of my job was to brief commanders about my findings. Once I was educated by a general to remove glasses when trying to stress honesty and sincerity. He said even clear lenses would put up a wall. Eye to eye contact is important to stress honesty and sincerity.

Now I think twice when a salesperson will remove their glasses when trying to con me into an "Investment".