Foreign couple on tourism fact finding mission to Thailand robbed by airport taxi driver

webfact

6 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Why were they not on level one at the arrivals taxi stand but instead trying to circumvent the system at the fourth floor departures which required hopping through the incoming turnstiles with their baggage if I’m not mistaken. Looks like they’ve been following cheap Charlie’s advice on how to save ฿50 surcharge and 10 minutes going downstairs. I’ll bet they leave those facts out when the fact finding report comes out. I’ll also bet she left her handbag in the back while unloading suitcase and duffles and the driver assumed they were finished and left when they shut the tailgate not knowing her bag was there as he was easily found within 3 hours and nothing was missing.

Being Cheap Charlie does not make stealing more legal.

7 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Why were they not on level one at the arrivals taxi stand but instead trying to circumvent the system at the fourth floor departures which required hopping through the incoming turnstiles with their baggage if I’m not mistaken. Looks like they’ve been following cheap Charlie’s advice on how to save ฿50 surcharge and 10 minutes going downstairs. I’ll bet they leave those facts out when the fact finding report comes out. I’ll also bet she left her handbag in the back while unloading suitcase and duffles and the driver assumed they were finished and left when they shut the tailgate not knowing her bag was there as he was easily found within 3 hours and nothing was missing.

Might well have been like that. Who knows ?

7 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Spot on They were looking foe cheap shots about Thailand Freeloaders i say lol

9 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

I agree with you KMartinHandyman. I also smell an insurance scam. Several 10.000 Bahts in a bag?? Why not in your wallet or handbag?

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Moonlover said:

.. it's possible that he wasn't really due to hand the car back in. That was merely his excuse. I'd suggest that he wanted to hand over his fare to a compatriot from Pattaya so that he could get back to his home patch and find some more fares.

looks more like the handover scam.......driver agrees to 1300 to go

to pattaya, but has to change cars/drivers.  but when they get to

pattaya, the new driver demands 2000.  he'll even have a laminated

card with prices to show them.

3 hours ago, cookieqw said:

cant see why they were on level 4 if they just arrived ?

perhaps the driver met them as they exited the

arrivals zone.....hey, joe, you need taxi?  no go that

way, line too long, i got taxi upstair.  where you go, joe?

11 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Assumptions, judgements, guesswork galore. Perhaps a new profession awaits you where those attributes are without qualification.

2 hours ago, MartinBangkok said:

I agree with you KMartinHandyman. I also smell an insurance scam. Several 10.000 Bahts in a bag?? Why not in your wallet or handbag?

Have you ever tried stuffing that much in your wallet or handbag?

Besides, there's not a lot of insurance companies around that will cover large quantities of cash like this. If any.

13 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

at times the wait is ridiculously long and not enough taxis. I have gone to arrivals level also to avoid a long wait. This happens at both airports.

15 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Swift work by the fact finding tourists too. They found out exactly what the LOS has to offer in very quick time.

I have to add that the taxi driver must be incredibly stupid. He must have known CCTV at the airport would identify him.

You'd think so wouldn't  you but  watch in amazement as many Thais  pull out of side roads without even a glance into oncoming traffic, tells  you everything you need to know about the mentality.

22 hours ago, Genmai said:

Anyone wanna start placing bets on how long they think it will be before a feel-good story about a Samaritan taxi driver is up in the news? I'm guessing no more than 24 hours.

So, you don't like stories that show Thai taxi drivers in a good light? Why? 

21 hours ago, scorecard said:

Agree, and the same comment for many crimes, the majority the perpetrators never seem to give any thought to the fact there is a good / very good chance they will get caught.

I once heard an American FBI agent say that after many years of FBI work, he's still amazed at how incredibly stupid most criminals are. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/03/2018 at 9:54 PM, Moonlover said:

Have you ever tried stuffing that much in your wallet or handbag?

Besides, there's not a lot of insurance companies around that will cover large quantities of cash like this. If any.

I had 300.000 Baht in my two front pockets when buying a new motorcycle.

Insurance companies from my country will cover 40.000 Baht in stolen cash.

On 3/5/2018 at 9:24 AM, Genmai said:

Anyone wanna start placing bets on how long they think it will be before a feel-good story about a Samaritan taxi driver is up in the news? I'm guessing no more than 24 hours.

It's already here, about the woman taxi driver who 'didn't know the route to the Airport'. Guys forgot the bag with their tickets, passports and cash when they changed taxis.  They got it all back due to nice taxi driver.