Forced overstay by immigration?

3 minutes ago, Jools said:

Border bounce. No need for overstay. Grab a train to Laos. Stay overnight. Come back the next day. Problem solved.

Then I arrive back in Thailand with a visa exempt stamp, which first of all I can't get a 1 year extension on for work purposes, and second doesn't allow me to work using my work permit.

I have three options as far as I can tell;

1) suck it up, accept the overstay stamp and fine. 

2) ask my passport back and do an emergency visa run to a consulate or embassy in the region to get a new non-B, leaving Thursday the latest. This is gonna be hard to organize on this short notice.

3) ask my passport back and apply for some other extension, which will be denied, giving me 7 days to leave the country. I can the apply for a new nonB visa in my home country, which I intended to visit in April/May anyway, but possibly could move this forward to departure next week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edwardflory said:

Take the hint:

90 days, go 5 days early - any problems, you have 4 days to clear..yes, you loose 5 days on 90 days.

YEARLY renewal, go 30 days early - Any problems you have 29 days to clear. You loose NO days on a yearly extension.

Why do so many people WAIT till the last day or two?  That OVERSTAY stamp IS in the computer till "hell freezes over "

I usually do my 90 day report a couple of days after the report is due as we get 7 days either side. For the retirement renewal I usually go in about 3 weeks before.

18 minutes ago, Jools said:

Border bounce. No need for overstay. Grab a train to Laos. Stay overnight. Come back the next day. Problem solved.

This would just make the issue even worse!

The OP is on an extension of stay for work, so if he really wants to avoid the overstay, then his options are very limited and as per his post above.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

3 pages of comments and I still can't see which IO this is. Maybe my eyes are playing up this morning and I'm missing it.

Or is there some reason why we can't know?

Until I decide what I'll do, I think it's better that the location remains unspecified. It won't do me any good to publicly shame them until I actually get my extension.

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

You forgot option 4:

Talk nice, give them a tip for their good work and it's done probably tomorrow

The boss is trying that right now. The officer in charge was apologetic today on the phone, explaining there are just too many applications to go through. She even gave some extra requirements not on the required document list, to make sure the applications gets accepted and is not further delayed. So we'll take care of those first now and have the boss hand these personally to the officer in charge tomorrow. Maybe a nice smile will persuade her to have a look at the docs and accept them there and then. That would solve everything. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

Until I decide what I'll do, I think it's better that the location remains unspecified. It won't do me any good to publicly shame them until I actually get my extension.

Fair enough. Hope all goes well tomorrow. The fact your boss is personally now involved and going personally may well have the desired effect. It may just be that the staff there are fed up with what the perceive to be an unfair work load and unfair expectations on them and this is their way of hoping something is done about it.

But whatever happens, you'll never ever shame them! Don't even try as you'll need good relations again in the future.

Good luck!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

I've done extensions for nearly 10 years at the same office. Just walk in, and get to see a senior officer in charge, who will check the docs, stamp the 30-day and send the whole stack to division headquarters. This is the first time an appointment is required. Of course the immigration staff says they have always had this rule.... what can you do.

I tried to contact immigration helpline but the 11?? Number is auto forwarded to our local immigration office, so that's no help. Bangkok head office don't pick up the phone, and the division headquarter office refers me back to my local office. 

10 years, why havent you gotten a resident permit yet?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

AIf immigration just issues me a 7-day extension (or refusal) then I'm good until the under consideration stamp gets into effect.

I did run on a guy who was asking a 7 day extention to my immigration office for short out is missing document, but the officer told him that if he give him 7 days extention, that 7 day to leave the country and no futur extention could be given after this stamp who mean he would have to leave the country and apply for a new visa.

I do not believe that naming the office would shame anyone or risk your application but what it would do is let other people that are under the same office know that to make sure they get in early or even make sure they make an appointment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gulfsailor said:

I am sorry Gulfsailor but you have come on here asking for advise and for help in your situation but you are not willing to let anyone know what office it is so that other people of here can make sure that they do not end up in the same situation as you are in. Do the people that you are asking for help from not deserve the same help from you?

Please name the office so others do not go through the same as you. Help others.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DjSilver said:

10 years, why havent you gotten a resident permit yet?

Do you know and understand the rules, both written and unwritten for getting a permanent residence permit?

Look here to see if you qualify.

http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/thai-permanent-residency.php

Or here

https://www.justlanded.com/english/Thailand/Thailand-Guide/Visas-Permits/Permanent-residence

Or here

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/968506-permanent-residency-permit/

And there are a lot more links on Google.

Only 100 persons from each nationality are granted PR per year, IF the system is working in the year that you apply.

Quick update; the senior staff member was so kind to expedite things and had a look at the documents in advance of the scheduled appointment. So no overstay.

Unfortunately things have gotten stricter, and due to the company I work for posting losses for too many consecutive years, she couldn't accept the application this year. I did get the 7 days refusal 'extension', so will leave next week. I'll get a new non-B from abroad. 

• Thanks 1