Republican U.S. Senator Cochran to resign on April 1

webfact

Republican U.S. Senator Cochran to resign on April 1

2018-03-05T230807Z_1_LYNXMPEE241YY_RTROPTP_3_CUBA-USA.JPG

FILE PHOTO: U.S. Senator Thad Cochran takes part in a news conference at the U.S. Embassy in Havana, Cuba, February 22, 2017. REUTERS/Alexandre Meneghini

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Republican U.S. Senator Thad Cochran, chairman of the powerful Appropriations Committee, said on Monday he will resign on April 1.

"I regret my health has become an ongoing challenge. I intend to fulfill my responsibilities and commitments to the people of Mississippi and the Senate through the completion of the 2018 appropriations cycle, after which I will formally retire from the U.S. Senate," Cochran, 80, said in a statement.

Mississippi's Republican Gov. Phil Bryant is expected to name a temporary replacement, who would serve until a special election can be held.

Cochran has been frequently absent this year from the Senate because of poor health. He was first elected to the Senate in 1978, becoming the first Republican in more than 100 years to win a statewide election in Mississippi. He had previously served three terms in the House of Representatives.

Cochran is the tenth-longest serving Senator in U.S. history, his office said.

(Reporting by Eric Beech; Editing by Mohammad Zargham)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-03-06

1 hour ago, impulse said:

I don't know a thing about this guy, but anyone who hasn't had a real job in 40+ years isn't qualified to know what's going on on the real world where the vast majority of Americans live, work and pay taxes.  (And health care bills without benefit of a gold plated insurance policy paid by taxpayers)

I hope his resignation is the start of a trend...  Sadly, I doubt it.

I agree with you!

There's also the problem of incumbents having too much of an advantage come reelection time.  The country definitely needs new people with the new ideas for the current real world, as you've pointed out. 

We need term limits for these US legislators.  Yeah, I know.  I am not holding my breath.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, impulse said:

I don't know a thing about this guy, but anyone who hasn't had a real job in 40+ years isn't qualified to know what's going on on the real world where the vast majority of Americans live, work and pay taxes.  (And health care bills without benefit of a gold plated insurance policy paid by taxpayers)

Every Republican in america is out of touch with real humans. only feed the rich. Most of the democrats as well. It is a very messed up situation that isn't going to get better in the near future.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

The trend has been ongoing. Republicans are fleeing; early, and Democrats are not finding the support for incumbents that they thought they could bank on. Everything's in flux and it probably means the president leaves this year, but not necessarily. Trump got elected because of the recognition that "something's broken". Most of the people who broke it are getting the hell out of Dodge and others are discovering re-election at 80 isn't a given. As I said, everything's in flux. I expect it will all shake itself out in a decade or two. I'm thinkin' for the better. But I could be wrong.

4 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

The trend has been ongoing. Republicans are fleeing; early, and Democrats are not finding the support for incumbents that they thought they could bank on. Everything's in flux and it probably means the president leaves this year, but not necessarily. Trump got elected because of the recognition that "something's broken". Most of the people who broke it are getting the hell out of Dodge and others are discovering re-election at 80 isn't a given. As I said, everything's in flux. I expect it will all shake itself out in a decade or two. I'm thinkin' for the better. But I could be wrong.

Where did you come up with the notion that "Democrats are not finding the support for incumbents that they thought they could bank on."  Your observation might make sense if Democratic incumbents were fleeing in large numbers. But this is not the case. They may or not be rates, but they are not the ones deserting a sinking ship.

1 hour ago, helpisgood said:

I agree with you!

There's also the problem of incumbents having too much of an advantage come reelection time.  The country definitely needs new people with the new ideas for the current real world, as you've pointed out. 

We need term limits for these US legislators.  Yeah, I know.  I am not holding my breath.

The issue isn't just that incumbents have too much of an advantage.   It's how they got that advantage- by selling out the 99% of their constituents for campaign money from the 1% and corporations. 

I'm all in favor of incumbents who have done right by their constituents getting re-elected (up to term limits that need to be imposed- by the very people whose terms would be limited).  That's how democracy works- do a good job and you get re-elected.  Not get good at fund raising and you not only get re-elected, you get the plum committee assignments and a lifetime seat at the big tables in the back rooms where they sell out the 99% for campaign cash.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1