Teaching English

Hotroast

Hi I was looking for some information regarding teaching english in Ubon.

I'm married to a Thai so hopefully visa not a problem.

Wondering if TEFL certificate is enough and also is there work in Ubon ?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I’m sure there must be work in Ubon for teachers with a degree and under some circumstances, without one. Please ensure whoever you work for, provide a Work Permit as some agencies seem to think that it’s not so important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

A degree is needed to be legal. It's possible to work on a Non-O visa, based on marriage to a Thai. Ubon is a big city with plenty of schools, but you should be careful, it's highly possible that the Immigration visits schools.

Imprisonment and deportation is possible, not having a degree will give you very bad chances for a job. Even degreed teachers with experience make hardly more than 37,000 baht.

Please Google Filipino university offering BA in education, if you're serious about it. 

The best time to look for a job is in April, beginning of March. Legwork with some good resumes seems to be the best option. 

Edited by jenny2017
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

A degree is needed to be legal. It's possible to work on a Non-O visa, based on marriage to a Thai. Ubon is a big city with plenty of schools, but you should be careful, it's highly possible that the Immigration visits schools.

Imprisonment and deportation is possible, not having a degree will give you very bad chances for a job. Even degreed teachers with experience make hardly more than 37,000 baht.

Please Google Filipino university offering BA in education, if you're serious about it. 

The best time to look for a job is in April, beginning of March. Legwork with some good resumes seems to be the best option. 

My apologies, should of course be beginning of May, not March. 

Please see: https://www.ajarn.com/recruitment/browse_jobs/Thailand/123875.html?popup=1

Edited by jenny2017
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Hotroast said:

Thanks for your help.

Do you have any idea about whether the private schools require a BA or any other qualifications?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It is not down to the school. You will need to get permission to teach from the Teachers' Council to teach in any school covered by OBEC. 

You cannot get permission without a degree.