Buriram: So unnecessary as Year 10 student dies on his way to school

webfact

The guy who pulled out should be charged for the death of the young lad & I doubt wearing a helmet would of saved him, looked like the song thaew ran over his torso & really don't think the song thaew driver had much to blame as even if he had stomped on the brakes he would of still ran him over, nothing will be learned by this tragic accident, I noticed the guy who caused the accident didn't start taking photos his actions & post it all over Facebook for all to see!

• Like 1

Like I said, I know this junction very well. Knowing the whereabouts of traffic around you is paramount. This accident could have been avoided if all involved were aware. I have approached this junction both in a car and on a motorbike from the same direction as the deceased many times. If there is a vehicle near to me from the rear that is stopping me from possibly pulling out to avoid a bike or car coming out of the side road, I will slow down and allow that vehicle to pass before I get to the junction.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

Even if he did use his mirrors, what difference would it have made?

5 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

Bit harsh, he was doing somersaults in the air.

For most of the time the mirrors are facing inwards & not outwards which makes it easier for them to see themselves in & also for when they park up to squeeze there spots........

18 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Didn´t miss anything. Just stated that I do not need signs or indications for the use of common sense. Hope you got it this time. :smile:

I got it ages ago...

I sometimes wish I had your superior attitude to driving, because I still need to take notice of signs to help my driving.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, puchooay said:

No. Because I use my mirrors. 

There is a logical reason. The junction is dangerous.

Had the young man shown your level,of logic (or even the awareness to have seen Mr blue helmet) he may still be alive.

It would not have prevented the <deleted> in the blue helmet not looking right, but it may have avoided a collision.

Any thoughts on motorcyclists driving in the ‘spillover’ lane ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

I got it ages ago...

I sometimes wish I had your superior attitude to driving, because I still need to take notice of signs to help my driving.

Does that include stopping and looking before turning out for a sideroad? In that case a feel defamed out of the you say I have a superior attitude, and I truly feel sad knowing that is the case.

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

will wager 20 Baht that there MAY also have been red stop sign before that..

Street view might have given the answer, but I tried hard to exactly locate the spot to no avail.

Somewhere in Samet district, Buriram.

Edited by KhunBENQ

7 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Any thoughts on motorcyclists driving in the ‘spillover’ lane ?

Yeah! It´s wrong. Unfortunately we have people hear that are trying to state that, on some special roads, it´s not illegal to overtake on the inside when they clearly can see that the people overtaking drive in the "spillover lane" :cheesy:

That makes your actually clever statement, hard to grasp for the majority. 

2 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Jesus!

I hope I never find myself driving in front of you.

Learning to expect the unexpected is a useful driving skill. Awareness of what the cars in front of you, and around you, are doing is an essential skill.

Why?  I don't think you read my post properly.  Nowhere did I suggest I would not slow down if a vehicle in front of me did.  Looking in your mirrors is not going to stop a motorbike emerging in front of you, nor is it going to stop a songtaew on the right of you running over your body.  Slowing down everytime a songtaew overtakes you anywhere near a junction is going to cause more accidents than it prevents.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Get Real said:

Yeah! It´s wrong. Unfortunately we have people hear that are trying to state that, on some special roads, it´s not illegal to overtake on the inside when they clearly can see that the people overtaking drive in the "spillover lane" :cheesy:

That makes your actually clever statement, hard to grasp for the majority. 

Cheers.

Indeed it is legal to overtake on the left when there are two, or more, lanes going in the same direction.......still doesn’t t feel right at times.

Year 10 would be 15/16 year old student....

nothing unusual about this event....this is how they drive...a number of poor driving  actions lead to this incident...

not really an accident when there is non compliance behavior all around...

next....

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

Why?  I don't think you read my post properly.  Nowhere did I suggest I would not slow down if a vehicle in front of me did.  Looking in your mirrors is not going to stop a motorbike emerging in front of you, nor is it going to stop a songtaew on the right of you running over your body.  Slowing down everytime a songtaew overtakes you anywhere near a junction is going to cause more accidents than it prevents.

Post #74 clearly suggests that you would not be expecting a car in front to slow down.

I don’t see how a motorbike slowing down a little before that junction would increase the chances of an accident. We certainly have evidence showing that NOT slowing down contributes to @n accident.

5 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Cheers.

Indeed it is legal to overtake on the left when there are two, or more, lanes going in the same direction.......still doesn’t t feel right at times.

Yes, if you do the overtake in one of the lanes. Not legal in the spillover lane.

1 minute ago, cardinalblue said:

a number of poor driving  actions lead to this incident...

What were they then?  The only error I can see was the guy emerging onto the main road without stopping to check it was safe to do so.  And the road markings encouraged him to do that.

• Like 1